Vedder and His Fans, Both Outspoken

g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
edited August 2008 in Other Music
A great show here in DC.

Vedder and His Fans, Both Outspoken

Monday, August 18, 2008;

Eddie Vedder's first ever solo show in D.C., Saturday night at the Warner Theatre, afforded the Pearl Jam frontman a chance to turn down the volume and connect with his fans on a more personal and intimate level. Unfortunately, some rambunctious members of the sold-out crowd saw it as their best opportunity to communicate with Vedder. So they yelled.

A lot. Everything from random sports teams to every song in the Pearl Jam catalogue to more chants of "Edd-ie" than the entire 1983 Baltimore Orioles season.

"Take it easy on all the shouting. It's affecting my professional output," said a clearly annoyed but still good-natured Vedder about halfway through the 2 1/2 -hour show. Finally, the noisy folks piped down enough for everyone to enjoy a freewheeling, often captivating show in which Vedder cracked jokes, offered political thoughts and played more than two dozen songs ranging from the Pearl Jam catalogue to his "Into the Wild" soundtrack work and classic covers.

"Sometimes" was transformed from an introspective Pearl Jam ballad to a stomping solo electric rocker. (Literally -- Vedder pounded his boot on the stage for accompaniment.) "Rise," from "Into the Wild," featured Vedder on mandolin. One Beatles cover ("You've Got to Hide Your Love Away") proved that Vedder's booming baritone is still one of rock's most impressive instruments, while another ("Blackbird") showcased his ever-improving skills on acoustic guitar.

There was as much liberal political commentary as you would expect from the notoriously outspoken Vedder as he performed just a few blocks from the White House. "The opinion that art should have nothing to do with politics is in itself a political statement," he said, defending himself against those who think he should stick to the music. His pro-Obama, antiwar platform was mildly presented, but a snarling cover of Dylan's "Masters of War" ("And I'll stand over your grave till I'm sure that you're dead") that ended with a knocked-over microphone stand featuring an Bush mask impaled on top said it all.

-- David Malitz

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    pretty sad that theres enough stupid heckling going on that it makes the paper... its really fucking embarrassing... i hope theres not alot in chicago
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I posted a long winded rant about the yelling at the very first EV show here in Vancouver. Honestly it ruined my enjoyment of the show, and as stated in this article, it seemed to put Ed off a bit. Worst audience of any show I've ever been to. I know a lot of people love Pearl Jam but the fanatacism gets really carried away and annoying as fuck. Honestly I'm really glad not to be part of the tenclub and fan hysteria anymore. Its better just to be a music fan.
  • the problem is, whether the band like it or not, Pearl Jam sell out huge stadiums and arenas. The mentatlity of the ed vedder solo show crowds is no different, despite being in much smaller venues, hence the crowd's behaviour is more noticeable.

i tend to give a lot of dirty looks when people get on my nerves at gigs. but at least u guys are getting ed solo shows...
  • ugh some fans are so stupid. shut the fuck up already.
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    MrSmith wrote:
    ugh some fans are so stupid. shut the fuck up already.

I couldnt agree more...Newark got a little out of hand...but only a little..I hear the other shows were a lot worse
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    the problem is, whether the band like it or not, Pearl Jam sell out huge stadiums and arenas. The mentatlity of the ed vedder solo show crowds is no different, despite being in much smaller venues, hence the crowd's behaviour is more noticeable.

I think that's part of the problem. Esp. since maybe the inappropriately yelling contingent of the audience doesn't know how to behave in nicer theatres like these. (IMO people either can't hold their liquor or they're drinking too much - there was drinking at things my parents took me to, but it didn't make people act all boorish and disturb the performance) You enjoy the performance and cheer and applaud enthusiastically at appropriate moments. Its probably a learning experience for everybody!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    It's outrageous and it fucks the show up everybody wants their 15 minutes or 15 seconds of fame. Go to a fucking play and learn how to be quiet.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• i blame beer

loud mouth assholes at every show i have ever been to always seem to be double fisting some Budweisers.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    i blame beer

loud mouth assholes at every show i have ever been to always seem to be double fisting some Budweisers.

Maybe that'll change now that Anhueser Busch has been bought out by a foriegn beer company.

Peace