Red Hot Chili Peppers Sue Showtime

g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
edited November 2007 in Other Music
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Red Hot Chili Peppers on Monday sued Showtime Networks over the name of the television series "Californication," which is also the name of the band's 1999 album and a single on it.

I love the show "Californication" and I wondered if Showtime got permission to use this name for their series.

I remember the same thing happened in the 90's to the show "Living Colour" in it's first year. They had to change the shows name to "In Living Colour". After the band Living Colour sued and the show had to give it up.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I think the Rheostatics should sue both the Chili Peppers AND Showtime, since they were the ones who actually invented that word in their song "California Dreamline" from their 1992 album Whale Music. True story.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    I looked up the In Living Color thing and apparently that was over a logo that was similar to one the band had,not the name.

I don't see how RHCP can sue over the word Californication, plenty of shows or movies have shared the same title with songs.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    g under p wrote:
    [/b]

I love the show "Californication" and I wondered if Showtime got permission to use this name for their series.

I remember the same thing happened in the 90's to the show "Living Colour" in it's first year. They had to change the shows name to "In Living Colour". After the band Living Colour sued and the show had to give it up.

Peace

One of the carictures is named Dani California as well? that really made me lol.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Dickheads.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    After the first couple of episodes, they should have just named it "Fornication"! I love the show, and RHCP...but this whole "I had it first" bullshit is pretty childish in my opinion. Wait...wasn't Dani California a rip-off from a Tom Petty song, lol If they had named the show "Stadium Arcadium" then I might be on the side of RHCP...but they didn't make up the word "Californication".
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    PJPOWER wrote:
    After the first couple of episodes, they should have just named it "Fornication"! I love the show, and RHCP...but this whole "I had it first" bullshit is pretty childish in my opinion. Wait...wasn't Dani California a rip-off from a Tom Petty song, lol If they had named the show "Stadium Arcadium" then I might be on the side of RHCP...but they didn't make up the word "Californication".

They did popularise it though, and the fact that a caricture from the show is called Dani California as well, that pushes the case a little further.

I do agree that it is pathetic and childish though.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    They did popularise it though, and the fact that a caricture from the show is called Dani California as well, that pushes the case a little further.

I do agree that it is pathetic and childish though.:)
    I was trying to remember the character called Dani California...I've smoked since then :(
  • PJPOWER wrote:
    I was trying to remember the character called Dani California...I've smoked since then :(

She was his agent's secretary I believe. Great show by the way. Strange to me that RHCP waited till the end of what turned out to be a successful 1st season???
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • I once had a girlfriend who sucked a whole lot of dick. Are the Chili Peppers gonna sue her for stealing their lifestyle?
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    I once had a girlfriend who sucked a whole lot of dick. Are the Chili Peppers gonna sue her for stealing their lifestyle?

Those are the best kind! :)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • I once had a girlfriend who sucked a whole lot of dick. Are the Chili Peppers gonna sue her for stealing their lifestyle?

Holy shit I lolled.

My coworkers are starting at me with a collective WTF expression.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • never really understands why bands sue anything. Like it costs the chili peppers anything that the show uses its name. i mean i get their point but what purpose does it really serve - not like it costs them fans or anything . . . . or is money all theyre interested in? Prolly
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • or is money all theyre interested in? Prolly

Bingo - as if they don't have enough

I will steal this line and impress my friends at parties this holiday season.

Thank you.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    Searched google out of curiosity and found this:
    Californication is a portmanteau of California and fornication, written about in Time on August 21, 1972 and seen on bumper stickers in the U.S. states of Colorado, Oregon and Idaho. It refers primarily to a "haphazard, mindless development that has already gobbled up most of Southern California", which some attribute to an influx of Californians to other states in the Western U.S.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californication_%28portmanteau%29
    your light's reflected now
  • It boggles the mind that bands keep doing shit like this. No one wants their favorite band to be a bunch of litigious assholes who seem out to sue whoever they can and hold on to their "OMG COPYRIGHT!!!" no matter what.

With maybe the exception of situations where the label is trying to fuck the band or something like PJ with Ticketmaster, rock bands suing people is almost always a bad idea. They may win the lawsuit, be they Metallica, RHCP, Prince, whoever, and technically they may be right under the law... but they will always LOSE fans. And respect. And credibility.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.