Concert Breaks: A Good Thing or A Bad Idea?

g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
edited April 2008 in Other Music
I wondered about this after and during RUSH's concert here in South Florida on Sunday.

In the years I've seen RUSH take a 20-25 minute concert break, I thought this was a brilliant idea.

Advantages:

Usually no opening band

Ability to visit the concessions....concert venue must love this in + beer sales

Able to go buy Band t-shirts etc

Restroom break without missing anything :)

The band catches it's breathe

Disadvantages:

Breaks the flow of the show

No experience of hearing/seeing another band

That's all I can think of as pro or cons, can you think of any others and would you want PEARL JAM to take on this idea?

Also do you know of any other bands that does idea of Concert Breaks?

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I saw Umphrey's Mcgee and the Allman Bros. both do this. I understand why jam bands need a break after 45min. - 1hr. of just giving it their all, but I didn't like it all. Just ruined the flow, and in my opinion that one con outweighs all of the other pros.

IMO.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    The Moody Blues do this too. I've seen them twice. The Break really doesn't bother me because it's more or less just a really long encore with the houselights up and gives everyone a chance to go buy something ect. I remember my friend and I just started talking to our concert neighbor about the show and the highlights. I look at it is just one big encore as opposed to two 5 minute breaks that pearl jam does. I'm down for whatever the bands in the mood to do. I didn't think it ruined the flow, for me at least. However, even during this 20 minute intermission, people still continue to need to leave their seat for what seems like every song, that pissed me off. Not that big a deal, if you got to piss you got to piss, but I just find it obnoxious to not take care of that during the actual break, or wait till the end.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    rock stars need rest too.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    rush doing 2 full sets

it doesn't get better than that

jimmy buffett does 2 sets with no opener
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    augustwest wrote:
    rush doing 2 full sets

it doesn't get better than that

Damn straight.

Plus I love how they play an animation for 10 mins leading into the 2nd set...it lets everyone know they should head back to their seats soon.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Saw Rod Stewart and Kid Rock do it. I like it for the opportunity to be able get a beer and make a pitstop without missing anything, definitely would like to see PJ do it with no opener
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I'd say Encore breaks are fine, but big 'intermission' breaks are bad. It's not a play, you don't need a break halfway through to separate the two acts! And if people are too incontinent to hold it in for a few hours then maybe they should go nil by mouth before the show and stop necking beers.

I like encore breaks because they remind you the shows nearing the end so you can go all out for the last bit without worrying too much about getting tired and to generally appreciate the last 15 minutes that little bit more. Plus the band gets a break. But it shouldn't be long enough for people to run off and buy snacks.

The only time I think an intermission really applies is if the band are gonna do a set of two halves (e.g. acoustic then electric set). If the break separates two totally different styles it's understandable, but if it's a break for the hell of it then it's a bad bad bad idea.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    BinFrog wrote:
    Damn straight.

Plus I love how they play an animation for 10 mins leading into the 2nd set...it lets everyone know they should head back to their seats soon.

This one of the things that got me thinking of this concert break cause one can tell this was carefully thought out. Most everyone are back in there seats before music is played.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I saw Henry Rollins on his spoken word tour the other month. he fought for an interval but wasnt allowed so did 3 hours straight. was great but fucking exhausting. Could've used a break.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    fowls wrote:
    I'd say Encore breaks are fine, but big 'intermission' breaks are bad. It's not a play, you don't need a break halfway through to separate the two acts! And if people are too incontinent to hold it in for a few hours then maybe they should go nil by mouth before the show and stop necking beers.

I like encore breaks because they remind you the shows nearing the end so you can go all out for the last bit without worrying too much about getting tired and to generally appreciate the last 15 minutes that little bit more. Plus the band gets a break. But it shouldn't be long enough for people to run off and buy snacks.

The only time I think an intermission really applies is if the band are gonna do a set of two halves (e.g. acoustic then electric set). If the break separates two totally different styles it's understandable, but if it's a break for the hell of it then it's a bad bad bad idea.

Big intermission....how long are you talking about? I think 20 minutes is just fine before you know that they'll be playing again.

You do have a point in that with 2 halves bands can play in different styles or different paces. First half slower and the second half a faster paced half. Acoustic then electric but certainly not with a 40 minute break.

Twenty minutes is just fine and in that time the stage can be rearranged with pyrotechnics added or taken away.

Peace

• surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    I don't like it I am to impatient to wait around, not to bad if it's seated but that doesn't happen very often over here.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    g under p wrote:
    Big intermission....how long are you talking about? I think 20 minutes is just fine before you know that they'll be playing again.

You do have a point in that with 2 halves bands can play in different styles or different paces. First half slower and the second half a faster paced half. Acoustic then electric but certainly not with a 40 minute break.

Twenty minutes is just fine and in that time the stage can be rearranged with pyrotechnics added or taken away.

Peace
    It also depends on whether it's a standing or seating gig. Seating gig everything is fine because people can get back to where they were before. It's a bit selfish of a band to expect standing people up front to be squashed for 40 minutes for no practical reason (other than needing to get the equipment set up).
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I'm good either way. I've seen some bands take a 20 minute intermission after one full set, and then come out and play another full set, plus a two song encore. Its kind of nice cause you might get a little more music that way. But because Pearl Jam generally plays a pretty long concert anyway, it doesn't really bother me the way they do it.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
    I don't like it I am to impatient to wait around, not to bad if it's seated but that doesn't happen very often over here.

I like that username, really cool. :)

Well add 25 years to what you are now and then see if you still feel that way then. I used to be that way years ago but with time things change especially in most cases our bodies.

Peace

• surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    g under p wrote:
    I like that username, really cool. :)

Well add 25 years to what you are now and then see if you still feel that way then. I used to be that way years ago but with time things change especially in most cases our bodies.

Peace

Cheers :)

I will be over 50 then & hopefully still attending giggs and rockin' out and stuff.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
    fowls wrote:
    It also depends on whether it's a standing or seating gig. Seating gig everything is fine because people can get back to where they were before. It's a bit selfish of a band to expect standing people up front to be squashed for 40 minutes for no practical reason (other than needing to get the equipment set up).

Now that's a very valid point, I haven't stood up on the floor in some time. I would agree with you to have give up your spot due to a intermission of ANY time is no fun at all. The waiting would kill me and then have lose your spot aint gonna work.

However, I know me I'd figure out something to NOT lose that spot. Good point though.

Peace

Cheers :)

I will be over 50 then & hopefully still attending giggs and rockin' out and stuff.

Oh we don't stop going to shows cause I'm quickly approaching the big 50 and I havn't slowed down going to concerts. I'm seeing more concerts or the same as I was 25 years ago, it's still fun.

Lots of grey hairs at the RUSH show, The WHO last year, The POLICE so we will STILL be rocking at any age.

Peace

• g under p wrote:
    I wondered about this after and during RUSH's concert here in South Florida on Sunday.

In the years I've seen RUSH take a 20-25 minute concert break, I thought this was a brilliant idea.

Advantages:

Usually no opening band

Ability to visit the concessions....concert venue must love this in + beer sales

Disadvantages:

That's all I can think of as pro or cons, can you think of any others and would you want PEARL JAM to take on this idea?

Peace

good
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • g under p wrote:

Advantages:

Usually no opening band

Disadvantages:

Peace

good
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows