new weezer

thecorythecory Posts: 290
edited April 2008 in Other Music
their new single pork & beans is streaming at weezer.com. i have to think this is their worst first single ever. but why do they have to make such lame lyrics now? he's got to be this emo hero now. they used to be one of my favorite bands.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i am sick of weezer. they have two classic albums, pinkerton and the blue album, and the rest is average to bad. their live act is subpar too.
  • that song is pretty damn forgettable

definitely no Beverly Hills
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Goddamit rivers!!

the music is punchy, catchy and very fun.

The lyrics are horrendous. I don't understand why he keeps singing about not caring about pop culture and fitting in. He obviously does.

I feel kind of embarrassed listening to it, being almost 30, with the childish words. the dude singing it is much older. Move on bro
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • sounds like theyre ripping off sum 41 ripping off weezer
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I don't know worst single? I mean it's not good but like we are all on drugs was so absurdly awful. really anything off the last record is worse I think
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I don't know worst single? I mean it's not good but like we are all on drugs was so absurdly awful. really anything off the last record is worse I think

Not "Haunt you Everyday" of course

that's one of their best tunes. The rest of Make Believe was horrible
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    I liked Burnt Jamb and This is Such a Pity...but that is about it off of the last two awful albums. They have fallen almost as far as Offspring did.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Goddamit rivers!!

the music is punchy, catchy and very fun.

The lyrics are horrendous. I don't understand why he keeps singing about not caring about pop culture and fitting in. He obviously does.

I feel kind of embarrassed listening to it, being almost 30, with the childish words. the dude singing it is much older. Move on bro
    My sentiments exactly. The music is like Make Believe molesting Pinkerton. It doesn't come out that bad, I actually quite like the verse riff.....it's El Scorcho cool.

But those godawful lyrics, fuck they ruin it. Take My Name Is Jonas, or Tired of Sex, or Butterfly, or even fucking the most emo thing I've ever heard but absolutely love, The World Has Turned and Left Me Here, and compare to this and pretty much all his lyrics back to Green.

Weezer has become a guilty pleasure of mine because of this. Music is usually great, but the lyrics are so shitty and embarassing......

Oh and I guess Rivers is a pedophile now? What's with that creepy moustache? Imagine him singing Across the Sea with that shit on his face.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I agree that musically it is good, but lyrically it is a turd.

Did someone really say this is no "Beverly Hills" as if BH was a good song? That will always and forever be the worst first single from Weezer.
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Did someone really say this is no "Beverly Hills" as if BH was a good song? That will always and forever be the worst first single from Weezer.

Um, I think that was a joke.
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    If I remember correctly, I thought I read an article somewhere (Rolling Stone?) that said the record label told them none of their new songs were radio-friendly, so they got pissed off and recorded this song.

If that's true, then that does put a different spin on the lyrics. And, it could mean that the rest of the album may be much better.
  • The more I listen to this, the more I dig it. It certainly isn't radio-friendly....kind of like El Scorcho was at the time on Pinkerton, which is my favorite Weezer album.....I'm optimistic that this'll bring back some classic Weezer and not the crap of the last album.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Bremerton wrote:
    I liked Burnt Jamb and This is Such a Pity...but that is about it off of the last two awful albums. They have fallen almost as far as Offspring did.

I like this is such a pity too! I like the 80s synth throw back. I have it on my work out shuffle.

but yeah that last album was bad. i haven't checked out this new song yet.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    English is not my mother tongue so I don't really care about the lyrics. I think the track isn't bad at all. Catchy. Good riff.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Bremerton wrote:

Their last one was crappy, but Maladroit was a lil' underrated pure rock gem. Dope Nose fucking rocks, and is one of the better singles they've released. I think their 2005 album was the only weak release out of their catalog, personally.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Aw it's an alright song. Catchy chorus but the lyrics are nerdy and goofy which is typical Weezer so nothing new there. (That is not a bad thing) Excluding "Pinkerton" which was a bit more somber I think, but their best record for sure.

I think the Bridge in "pork and beans" is what kills it for me, other than that it is typical Weezer. I did actually enjoy Weezer's live show when I saw them in 2005, I might go see them again.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    blue album and pinkerton rock. everything since then sucks!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    I'm glad to see the bluealbum super-heavy guitar sound back (not the 80s metal heavy guitar of maladroit). The chorus has a pretty wicked hook.
    Of course the lyrics are crap. It's Rivers. He will forever sing about not fitting in in high school.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    Every time I read a thread about Weezer something always confuses me. I remember when Pinkerton came out it got mad hate. The world basically shunned Weezer and the album was considered poor, garbage even. They kind of fell off the face of the earth until the Green album came out, and then they were ok again. That being said, Pinkerton is now regarded by many people as their best work. I liked it even when it came out but got hated on for liking it.

Why was there such a big turn around of the general opinion of this record?

And the new single, meh, not their best by any means but not horrible either, IMO....
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Instead of traditional punk rockish / screamo rock, Rivers pulls off being punk with nerdy lyrical references and catchy pop hooks. That's his thing and he's the best at it.
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    Every time I read a thread about Weezer something always confuses me. I remember when Pinkerton came out it got mad hate. The world basically shunned Weezer and the album was considered poor, garbage even. They kind of fell off the face of the earth until the Green album came out, and then they were ok again. That being said, Pinkerton is now regarded by many people as their best work. I liked it even when it came out but got hated on for liking it.

Why was there such a big turn around of the general opinion of this record?

And the new single, meh, not their best by any means but not horrible either, IMO....

I think a lot of it is it was a 'grower.' It took a while for a lot of people to get it so to speak. Then there's also a lot that embraced it later on because it became cool in the Weezer cirlce to do so. It was by far their least commercial so, its cool to like it now. Most will obviously claim they are from the first reason but, the majority is from the second lol.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
    I think a lot of it is it was a 'grower.' It took a while for a lot of people to get it so to speak. Then there's also a lot that embraced it later on because it became cool in the Weezer cirlce to do so. It was by far their least commercial so, its cool to like it now. Most will obviously claim they are from the first reason but, the majority is from the second lol.

Yeah, i don't really know why. I enjoyed the Blue a lot and when Pinkerton came out I remember really digging El Scorcho but not even giving the record much of a shot. Then a few years later I went back to it and introduced myself to the entire record. Fell in love with it. Maybe it was just a bad time for a record like that to released. No one was ready for it/in the mood for it

It was the same with Binaural for me. Though I gave it much more love despite not really caring for it. But it took years to make it onto my good list