I saw Robert Plant & Alison Krauss Last Night

westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
edited June 2008 in Other Music
I am still smiling. It was really a great magical experience. It was the perfect summer concert in an amphitheater on a warm summer night with a cool breeze blowing.

Alison Krauss's voice is amazing, so beautiful to listen to. Plant still commands a stage without having to resort to histrionics. They did three Zep tunes. So nice to hear musicians who really know how make their instruments sound great. To those of you going to Bonnaroo, make sure you catch them.
To pie I will reply
But mr. justam
is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    histrionics.. man i havent seen that word in print since my year 7 school report.

as for robert plant... ive not seen him live since 1984.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I am still smiling. It was really a great magical experience. It was the perfect summer concert in an amphitheater on a warm summer night with a cool breeze blowing.

Alison Krauss's voice is amazing, so beautiful to listen to. Plant still commands a stage without having to resort histrionics. They did three Zep tunes. So nice to hear musicians who really know how make their instruments sound great. To those of you going to Bonnaroo, make sure you catch them.

wow, I'm so happy for you!! :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Rapunzel64Rapunzel64 Posts: 129
    Thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't sure if it would be worth the time, but now I will be sure to check them out at Bonnaroo and ACL.
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    I forgot, the funniest thing that happened during the concert was when Robert Plant was talking to the crowd, and he forgot the city he was in. It was a real Spinal Tap moment. :D
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I forgot, the funniest thing that happened during the concert was when Robert Plant was talking to the crowd, and he forgot the city he was in. It was a real Spinal Tap moment. :D

poor old bugger. :D:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    "We're so happy to be here in, uuuuhhh, this lovely venue."

(Such a good save!)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Rapunzel64 wrote:
    I wasn't sure if it would be worth the time

you've got to be kidding me.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Saw them on the first U.S. leg.....great, great show.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    their set is across from Death Cab for Cutie at the Roo. Are they worth missing DCFC??

I'm very conflicted.
    the Minions
    their set is across from Death Cab for Cutie at the Roo. Are they worth missing DCFC??

I'm very conflicted.

I am not familiar with DCFC, so I can't really say. Maybe someone else will be able to help. :(
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446

I'm very conflicted.
    Well, DCFC will be around for a while, who knows how long this Plant/Krauss beautiful music making machine will go on?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Are they worth missing DCFC??

ghdjghnbvnnhtrsdfhnfgnfgxm
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388

I'm very conflicted.
    I would consider missing Pearl Jam for them....maybe even missing the Drive-by Truckers. :cool:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    tybird wrote:
    I would consider missing Pearl Jam for them....maybe even missing the Drive-by Truckers. :cool:

Agreed.
    Just me
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425

Alison Krauss's voice is amazing, so beautiful to listen to. Plant still commands a stage without having to resort to histrionics. They did three Zep tunes. So nice to hear musicians who really know how make their instruments sound great. To those of you going to Bonnaroo, make sure you catch them.

lucky would love to see this tour... possibly a one off.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Zoso wrote:
    lucky would love to see this tour... possibly a one off.

Thanks. That is exactly the reason I wanted to see them perform. I also feel lucky they came by our way. I wish I had bought tickets to another show.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

• VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    THE EDGE
    MUSIC REVIEW ; Plant, Krauss: Devil made them duet
    JED GOTTLIEB
    By JED GOTTLIEB

7 June 2008
    Boston Herald
    1st Edition

ROBERT PLANT and ALISON KRAUSS

At the Bank of America Pavilion, Thursday night.

If God and the devil put their petty bickering aside and booked a musical revue together it might sound, no, make that it WOULDsound, just like Thursday night's sold-out Robert Plant and Alison Krauss show at the Bank of America Pavilion.

Few, other than God and Satan, thought the duo would work, but the princess of bright bluegrass and the high priest of heavy metal and deep, dark blues made one of 2007's best albums in "Raising Sand." Now they've parlayed that album into a tour that contrasts purity and mischief, and does it with delicate power.

Like the album, the show inverted cliches. While Krauss spent most of the set playing the angel - "Down the River to Pray," sung a cappella by Krauss with Plant and the band adding sparse harmonies, was a musical rapture - she also let her dark side show.

A great bluegrass singer, Krauss' skills occasionally came off as paint-by-numbers perfect. But with "Green River" she legitimately nailed that whole haunting vocal thing.

OK, Plant never really repented, but he wasn't all debonair devil. He's still got that fox in the henhouse swagger - and he showed it best on "Fortune Teller" - but he's aging gracefully. Everyone from Mick Jagger to David Lee Roth still depends on waning sex appeal; Plant forgot his loins, if briefly, and channeled the other-worldly quality of Tom Waits.

On a duet with Krauss and backed by a crack band - the drummer was John Bonham-meets-the-Tennessee-Three - Plant turned "Black Dog" into an exercise in atmosphere. No high screech or rooster strut, it was all creepy restraint. He also managed to make the song's sexual moaning into a call-and-response with the crowd - many of whom were unsexy, Lexus-owning suburbanites.

Rightfully, the centerpiece of the set was a menacing cover of Led Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore" that, well, to call it transcendent would sell the song short. Plant held down the low end while Krauss cooed like a Middle-earth elf.

Plant said "See you next time" and seemed to mean it. Which is great news. This can only get cooler on album and tour No. 2.

Sharon Little opened up with some Grace Potter-style blues- country-folk. It would have been nice before Bonnie Raitt, but it didn't really cut it next to the duo of the day.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
    LivingArts
    Bluegrass and rock in harmony
    Joan Anderman
    Joan Anderman GLOBE STAFF. Robert e. klein for the boston globe
    6 June 2008
    The Boston Globe
    D.3

Music Review

Alison Krauss and Robert Plant

With Sharon Little

At: Bank of America Pavilion,last night

Like couples with nothing in common who fall madly in love, Robert Plant and Alison Krauss make beautiful music together. Last night the iconic rocker and the bluegrass superstar performed songs from their 2007 album "Raising Sand," a collection of American classics both vintage and contemporary, as well as a handful of tunes from each artist's solo catalog. Where the album is painstakingly subdued - a dusky wash of deep tones and muted percussion with nary a shimmer or an edge within earshot - the live show was endlessly dynamic.

Plant and Krauss were accompanied by a roots supergroup that included their producer T Bone Burnett (whose dark magic is at the heart of this remarkable collaboration), guitarist Buddy Miller, drummer Jay Bellerose, bassist Dennis Crouch, and multi- instrumentalist Stuart Duncan.

The pair opened with the swampy, late-night blues of "Rich Woman," segued into a fiddle-and-mandolin-stoked thigh-slapper in "Leave My Woman Alone," and proceeded to blow the crowd away with a hauntingly reimagined version of Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog," slowed to a march and configured for banjo and upright bass. Burnett's handprints were all over the arrangement, but Duncan's Jimmy Page- worthy solo - on violin, no less - introduced fans to the sideways sort of heaviness that would color the captivating two-hour set.

Egos were checked at the door. Plant ensconced himself behind a microphone at the back of the stage to sing back-up while Krauss loosed her piercing, crystalline soprano on the Gene Clark classic "Through the Morning, Through the Night," and he formed a close- knit harmony trio with Miller and Duncan during Krauss's sweet, delicate read of the traditional "Down to the River to Pray." Plant blended happily into the dusty musical fabric while she burrowed into gripping, minimalist covers of Sam Phillips' "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us" and Tom Waits' "Trampled Rose."

Krauss, who has found a new ferocity (and decibel level) in her communion with the rock god, shadowed Plant with equal graciousness, lending mighty harmonies and almost savage fiddle on majestic, organic renditions of the Zep gems "Battle of Evermore" and "Black Country Music." The Zeppelin fanatics who figured this was the next best thing to the nonexistent reunion tour - and not a few of them peppered the crowd - danced ecstatically.

Burnett took a turn in the spotlight, as well, stepping to the microphone for rousing takes on his own "The Rat Age" and "Bon Temps Rouler."

"We all come from different musical places but this week we lost one of our founding fathers," Plant said before the group launched into a raucous cover of Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love?" Yet over the course of the evening it became clearer and clearer just how much common ground these seemingly disparate musical forces share. It's in their deep affection for the music's roots - the seminal changes in the Everly Brothers' "Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)," and the cosmic mournfulness of Townes Van Zandt's "Nothin." The latter materialized as a sinewy incantation: Plant howled like an animal, with Krauss baying to his right, and the audience responded in kind.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
    LAST NIGHT IN NEW YORK
    NEWS
    PLANT & KRAUSS PUT DOWN ROOTS. SOULFUL RENDITIONS HIGHLIGHT SHOW AT GARDEN
    JIM FARBER DAILY NEWS MUSIC CRITIC

11 June 2008
    New York Daily News
    SPORTS FINAL

THEY'RE MUSIC'S latest odd couple - Led Zeppelin yowler Robert Plant and bluegrass chanteuse Alison Krauss. Yet their improbable bond has created something even more unexpected - one of the strongest-selling CDs in a commercially feeble era, the platinum "Raising Sand."

Buoyed by its success, the pair has launched a major tour that wafted through the WaMu Theater at Madison Square Garden last night.

Zeppelin fans may curse the day this tour was conceived, since it prevented - or at least delayed - a full-scale road show for Plant's storied band, something that has been rumored ever since that act floored the rock world with last year's one-off reunion gig in London.

A fully-Led'ed road show may yet happen. But in the meantime, no informed aficionado of Plant's talents - or Krauss' - would have felt betrayed by last night's tender display.

Though at times more forceful and animated than the subtle "Raising Sand," the show still emphasized nuanced vocals and contemplative rhythms. Not a conventional rock or bluegrass event, the concert was its own sweet beast, lurking at the intersection of dreamy folk and dusty country.

Krauss and Plant harmonized closely on songs so somber they verged on the Gothic.

"Rich Woman" told the tale of a smug gigolo, but it's spooky guitars betrayed the consequences of his cynicism.

Krauss sang "So Long and Goodbye to You" with such ache it suggested ruin.

Several songs underscored the connection between Celtic music and its Appalachian offspring. Krauss put a twang in the murder ballad "Matty Groves," made famous by the very English Fairport Convention, while she and Plant moved Zeppelin's "The Battle of Evermore" from the British Isles to the Kentucky hills.

The show also featured a spot for the producer and sonic architect of this whole shadowy sound, T-Bone Burnett.

But the killer moment had to be the radical rethink of Zeppelin's "Black Dog" from a stadium stomper to a backwoods blues that roiled with menace.

This may not have been the loudest take on the song but, like this whole exquisite show, it proved that understated sounds can move you just as deeply.
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    Rapunzel64 wrote:
    but now I will be sure to check them out at Bonnaroo and ACL.

sadly they are playing opposite Beck on Saturday night at ACL.....on the opposite end of the park!
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    I agree with all the posters on here. I thought that album was the best of the year. Period. Seeing their act would fall a very close second to seeing PJ's set.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I saw this show last night...I'm still in awe. I had no idea that the show was going to be as good as it was when my friend snagged me a ticket. Absolute last row of the venue, and I was completely hooked from the very first note. The band, and particularly the drummer, was great and the sound and mood they created was unique. It reminded me of Bruce Springsteen's Seeger Sessions tour, where a rock star manages to do something radically different that manages to be a complete crowd-pleaser at the same time. Allison Krauss is a gorgeous singer, and her voice blended surprisingly well with such a singular voice as Robert Plant.

It also changed my outlook on setlists. What I mean is, I used to think that the measure of the band was the surprises of the songs they played, and I thumbed my noses at bands that played the same setlist every night. I judged Pearl Jam shows by how much they changed their setlist. But last night completely changed that for me. I'm sure this set was exactly the same one they've been playing, but it was a set that made perfect sense. Every song flowed into the next one, and the concert had more momentum than any Pearl Jam concert I've ever seen (or any other band that changes their setlist every night for that matter). I'll never automatically dismiss a band because they're playing a similar setlist every night ever again.
    Per http://www.robertplantalisonkrauss.com the St Louis date has been postponed to September 24th, plus another date in September (the 25th) was added in St Louis. DVD filming would be occurring during those September dates and that was the reason for the postmonement.

Here is a Billboard.com article June 12, 2008
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003816015

Plant, Krauss 'In No Hurry' To End Collaboration
    Alison Krauss and Robert Plant

June 12, 2008, 2:30 PM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit
    Robert Plant and Alison Krauss are hoping to turn their platinum-certified, Grammy Award-winning "Raising Sand" into a going concern.

"I'm in no hurry to go anywhere," Plant told Billboard.com during a teleconference with reporters today (June 12). "I want to stay very close. This is a font of knowledge, and I'm sticking as close to it as I can."

Krauss concurred, "we're all having a wonderful time, and I hope and I think all three of us are hoping to continue this and that it go on and on." But she added that the duo's association shouldn't bring the curtain down on any of their other projects.

"That doesn't mean we've lost any love for who we've played for and play with," she said. "The guys in Union Station, that's like home. So I hope to continue this and go back home, too."

And while no firm plans are in motion yet for a "Raising Sand" sequel, producer T-Bone Burnett, who's also the musical director for the current Plant-Krauss concert tour, said in a separate conversation that he hopes to get another shot at the collaboration.

"I feel like we're just starting to know what we can do with it," Burnett said. "The two of them are so incredibly good that I would hate to not continue to work with both of them."

For the moment, Plant and Krauss are definitely working together through July 19, when the tour wraps up in Nashville (they also stop at the Bonnaroo Music Festival on Sunday). And both said that they're enjoying the opportunity to expand and enhance their musical partnership on the road.

"I'm surprised at the varying of the performances show to show," Krauss said. "Because of the personalities within the band, it has changed the show night to night, not only the show overall but each tune takes on a different character. Everything has its own identity from night to that. That's very exciting for all of us."

Plant, meanwhile, says performing the album's rootsy music, as well as revamped versions of some Led Zeppelin songs, live has "become quite an illumination, really. What has been created with the chemistry between the three of us has its down kind of genre, really. I'm a very fortunate man. I couldn't wish for anything better than this."