Experimental/Fusion Music Suggestions

LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
edited May 2008 in Other Music
The music terms experimental and fusion can be described various definitions. The style I really enjoy is the jazz, hip-hop, techno and rock compound.

For example: Radiohead (rock, techno, electronic), Faith No More (metal, jazz, hip-hop), Beastie Boys (Hip-hop, jazz, electronic, punk), 311 (rock, reggae, hip-hop), Incubus (rock, hip-hop, metal) and Soul Coughing (rock, jazz, hip-hip, electronic).

I excluded the Chilli Peppers, for some reason I don't like them. Maybe it's because of their heavy "funk" element. Not sure why, but I dislike them.

I really dig a lot of Mike Patton's side projects/bands, Lovage, Peeping Tom, Mr. Bungles. I think Mr. Patton is probably the best example of this kind of sound.

Anyways...
Any artists out there (past & present) that I should get into or have an earful of? i.e. I'm mainly looking for more Mike Patton experimental sound. If you like his stuff, you'd know what I mean.

Thanks, LongRd.
PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Secret Chiefs 3 (amazing band....Trey Spruance and Trevor Dunn's band - former guitar player and bassist in Mr Bungle.....the group performs a wide range of musical styles including surf rock, Persian, Arabic, Indian, death metal, film music, electronic music, and various others.....often all within one song)

Estradasphere (their new album Palace of Mirrors is incredible.... an experimental band that consists of 6 multi-instrumentalists from a variety of musical backgrounds trained in disciplines ranging from classical music and jazz to heavy metal)

Fantomas (a Mike Patton side project....though rooted in heavy metal, their music touches on many different musical genres.....Fantômas songs are often discordant and tuneless, using feedback and pure noise, and they could easily be described as experimental noise. However, they are not a pure noise band as they do have concrete beats and melodies in most of their songs. They are a unique combination of noise and progressive psychedelia)

John Zorn (an American avant-garde composer, arranger, record producer, saxophonist and multi-instrumentalist)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Mars Volta.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I think you are looking for experimental bands, not really fusion per se. Most of the time "fusion" is used to describe jazz-rock.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Todd76 wrote:
    Secret Chiefs 3 (amazing band....Trey Spruance and Trevor Dunn's band - former guitar player and bassist in Mr Bungle.....the group performs a wide range of musical styles including surf rock, Persian, Arabic, Indian, death metal, film music, electronic music, and various others.....often all within one song)

Estradasphere (their new album Palace of Mirrors is incredible.... an experimental band that consists of 6 multi-instrumentalists from a variety of musical backgrounds trained in disciplines ranging from classical music and jazz to heavy metal)

Fantomas (a Mike Patton side project....though rooted in heavy metal, their music touches on many different musical genres.....Fantômas songs are often discordant and tuneless, using feedback and pure noise, and they could easily be described as experimental noise. However, they are not a pure noise band as they do have concrete beats and melodies in most of their songs. They are a unique combination of noise and progressive psychedelia)

John Zorn (an American avant-garde composer, arranger, record producer, saxophonist and multi-instrumentalist)

Thanks for the info. Will do some research on them.

I've heard of Mike's Fantomas project but never actually gave the effort to listen to them, but now I will.
    Mars Volta.
    I bought their debut "De-Loused in the Comatorium."
    I didn't like it at all. I bought because I liked At-The-Drive's and Sparta's debut albums.
    BinFrog wrote:
    I think you are looking for experimental bands, not really fusion per se. Most of the time "fusion" is used to describe jazz-rock.
    Isn't there a bit of funk as well?
  • LongRd. wrote:
    I bought their debut "De-Loused in the Comatorium."
    I didn't like it at all. I bought because I liked At-The-Drive's and Sparta's debut albums.

At The Drive-In's debut? Like Alfaro Vive, Carjaro?

And how could you not like the Volta? They are like the best band around right now.
    LongRd. wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Will do some research on them.

I've heard of Mike's Fantomas project but never actually gave the effort to listen to them, but now I will.

Enjoy.....however, I must warn you that the bands I mentioned are all pretty "out there".....but if you're in the mood for something crazy and experimental they are also really incredible. And their albums might be pretty hard to track down - but worth the effort (especially Estradasphere's - Palace Of Mirrors.....released in 2006)

Some other suggestions (if these ones click for you) would be: Melt Banana, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Faxed head, Nurse With Wound and Eyvind Kang
  • Grüvis Malt... just flat out futurock.. I know it's not really what you're looking for, but yeah, give 'em a try.
    If I could, think I would give in.
    At The Drive-In's debut? Like Alfaro Vive, Carjaro?

And how could you not like the Volta? They are like the best band around right now.
    the LP "Acrobatic Tenement"

My opinion on Mars Volta is solely based on the "De-Loused in the Comatorium" CD (which I bought)...did not like it and decided not to spend money on their later releases. But with the power of the Internet, ;) I'll probably give them another chance.
    LongRd. wrote:
    Isn't there a bit of funk as well?

Definitely, especially w/ 70's fusion like Billy Cobham's solo stuff or Lenny White.
    Here's a great example (and a fantastic song):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/74itpd
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Try any of David Fiuczynski(Fuze for short)'s projects, like Screaming Headless Torsos. It's jazz-rock, but with elements of hip-hop and many other genres. Fuze is an insane guitar player.
  • I recommend Secret Chiefs 3 too.

I already suggested the Japanese group Boris in another thread earlier but might as well put it here too since it seems to fit here also. I suck at describing bands and genres so i'll just quote wikipedia:

"While most commonly associated with the doom metal and drone metal scenes, Boris are also renowned for their ability to regularly incorporate elements of many musical genres while maintaining an identifiable sound and quality. Boris have explored psychedelic rock, noise, ambient, sludge rock, post-rock, stoner-rock and hardcore punk, along with more conventional, mainstream rock styles."
    Todd76 wrote:
    Enjoy.....however, I must warn you that the bands I mentioned are all pretty "out there".....but if you're in the mood for something crazy and experimental they are also really incredible. And their albums might be pretty hard to track down - but worth the effort (especially Estradasphere's - Palace Of Mirrors.....released in 2006)

Some other suggestions (if these ones click for you) would be: Melt Banana, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Faxed head, Nurse With Wound and Eyvind Kang

Hey Todd76...I'm digging Estradasphere, which album should I try first?
    Quadropus or Place Of Mirrors as you suggested?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDT5BGAHHJ
    Speck from Quadropus is a sweet track
    but this song from Place Of Mirror is FUCKING INSANE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6nntrKQ0s

...Also I sampled some tracks from Secret Chief 3's myspace page. They don't sing...:mad: Instrumental band?
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Try any of David Fiuczynski(Fuze for short)'s projects, like Screaming Headless Torsos. It's jazz-rock, but with elements of hip-hop and many other genres. Fuze is an insane guitar player.

I only have his "Jazzpunk" cd and it's so so at best. What else is good?
    LongRd. wrote:
    Hey Todd76...I'm digging Estradasphere, which album should I try first?
    Quadropus or Place Of Mirrors as you suggested?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDT5BGAHHJ
    Speck from Quadropus is a sweet track
    but this song from Place Of Mirror is FUCKING INSANE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6nntrKQ0s

...Also I sampled some tracks from Secret Chief 3's myspace page. They don't sing...:mad: Instrumental band?

I would DEFINITELY recommend Palace Of Mirrors over Quadropus......their other albums are good - but inconsistent. Palace of Mirrors is mindblowing - although it is entirely instrumental.....but dont let that scare you away

here is a link to a promo for the Palace of Mirrors Live DVD:
    http://www.estradasphere.com/video.php?id=1

(dont let all the goofy theatrics scare you away either - listen to the music, IMO its incredible)

I have no idea what the YouTube video link you posted was.....Gumby on the Moon.....definitely NOT from Palace Of Mirrors

and yes Secret Chiefs 3 are also pretty much entirely instrumental (the Estradasphere guys also appear on the Secret Chiefs albums.....so there is a Mr Bungle (Mike Patton) - Secret Chiefs 3 - Estradasphere connection for ya)
    Based on Estradasphere's Quadropus and Place Of Mirrors I have to say they are a pretty good band. But I can't say for sure if they'll be used a lot on my playlists. It's still early though.

Will now have to check out Fantomas & John Zorn.
  • http://www.ipecac.com/

theres a link to pattons label.

i would think several of these bands would fit what you're looking for,i'm into isis quite a bit these days.

as for the mars volta......

i bought deloused when it came out,and francis the mute when it came out,and just this week have i been able to comprehend everything that they have going on.for my ears, they are the best thing happening in music at the moment.

i think all the coltrane i have been digesting the past year made it possible to understand them.

LongRd. wrote:
    The music terms experimental and fusion can be described various definitions. The style I really enjoy is the jazz, hip-hop, techno and rock compound.

For example: Radiohead (rock, techno, electronic), Faith No More (metal, jazz, hip-hop), Beastie Boys (Hip-hop, jazz, electronic, punk), 311 (rock, reggae, hip-hop), Incubus (rock, hip-hop, metal) and Soul Coughing (rock, jazz, hip-hip, electronic).

I excluded the Chilli Peppers, for some reason I don't like them. Maybe it's because of their heavy "funk" element. Not sure why, but I dislike them.

I really dig a lot of Mike Patton's side projects/bands, Lovage, Peeping Tom, Mr. Bungles. I think Mr. Patton is probably the best example of this kind of sound.

Anyways...
    Any artists out there (past & present) that I should get into or have an earful of? i.e. I'm mainly looking for more Mike Patton experimental sound. If you like his stuff, you'd know what I mean.

Thanks, LongRd.
    LongRd. wrote:
    Based on Estradasphere's Quadropus and Place Of Mirrors I have to say they are a pretty good band. But I can't say for sure if they'll be used a lot on my playlists. It's still early though.

Will now have to check out Fantomas & John Zorn.

I agree. I dont listen to them alot - as they are definitely music that you have to be in the right mood for - but when I do I thoroughly enjoy it.

I think Palace Of Mirrors is one of the best albums I have heard in quite awhile. I think EVERYONE should check out the song "The Return".....un-freakin-believable

Tomahawk is another Patton project that you may enjoy......though once again - proceed with caution

The Web Of Mimicry site might be worth checking out too:

http://www.webofmimicry.com/front.php
  • bopeepbopeep Posts: 3
    These days I'm really into techno and techno/rock and stuff like that -- try searching for these songs:

Thomas Falke "Revolution On The Dance Floor"
    Groove Cutter "My Shooter"
    Control One "Just A Little Bit"
    Ian Carey "Redlight"
    Kevin Weg "Dead Radio"

I don't usually go for techno but these are sort of like a wierd crossover between rock and techno/trance.

Most of them I got (LEGALLY) from this list on itunes -- http://electricnation2010.com/tracks
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I'd recommend Banyan for sure. Jazzy/Funk/Fusion supergroup

Also see if you can find Zion-I's in rainbows remix. It is really good as well.

Tortoise is another good band also.

The new Atmosphere album, while being straight hip-hop has a completely different sound than their earlier releases.
    NERDS!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I recommend Secret Chiefs 3 too.

I already suggested the Japanese group Boris in another thread earlier but might as well put it here too since it seems to fit here also. I suck at describing bands and genres so i'll just quote wikipedia:

"While most commonly associated with the doom metal and drone metal scenes, Boris are also renowned for their ability to regularly incorporate elements of many musical genres while maintaining an identifiable sound and quality. Boris have explored psychedelic rock, noise, ambient, sludge rock, post-rock, stoner-rock and hardcore punk, along with more conventional, mainstream rock styles."
    Boris are fucking terrific. To the OP, check out "Boris at last - Feedbacker" and "Flood"

Also try Boredoms. Their front man is Yamatsuka Eye, the vocalist for John Zorn's band Naked City (I think someone already recommended Zorn. He is a massive influence on Patton and Patton has done stuff with Naked City). Boredoms started off as just batshit crazy japanese noise rock but their more recent releases like Super Ae and Vision Creation Newsun are truly beautiful experimental releases. Expect long-ish songs with incredible tribal style rhythms and occasionally noisy but often ambient soundscapes and crazy vocals. If you think Patton is wild, wait til you hear Eye.

This is the kind of stuff you can expect from Boredoms. They did a gig wit SEVENTY SEVEN drummers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOGRUKqDFY&feature=related

Can't hear much music over the drums though :p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"