Options

Good Fan Favorite Albums That Were Overlooked By The Masses?

LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
edited March 2008 in Other Music
OK, so we all "somewhat" agree that Yield and No Code are PJ's top fan favorite albums but it doesn't mean they were their best work; just favorable by the die-hard fans. But still, the 4th + 5th PJ efforts were commercially failures compared to their first three YET are highly regarded by the fans (us).

Anyways, what other fan favorite albums out there that other bands have released but did not sell as well nor get the recognition it deserves?
Try to think of popular bands that have release more than 3 albums including a top seller.

My list!

Alice In Chain's Selft-Titled/Tripod : Did not have many hits as Dirt but it's a really good album that showcase Layne's songwriting skill (he wrote 8 songs on it). Other than the singles/videos that were release, some of the tracks were incredible; Shame In You, God Am, Brush Away and Head Creeps.

Angel Dust by Faith No More : Did not sell as much as The Real Thing but it showed a lot of the diverse musical influences FNM had from metal, hip-hop, jazz, electronic, etc.

Paul's Boutique by Beastie Boys : Hey Ladies was probably the biggest single off this album that featured amazing tracks such as High Plain Drifter, Looking Down A Barrell Of A Gun, Egg Man, and the 12-minute outro B-Boy Bouillabaisse that featured a dozen or so songs.

Music by 311 : It's not a great album because most 311 albums aren't "great" but it had 12 solid tracks, so it's a good CD. Visit, Paradise, Hydrophonic, My Stoney Baby, Nix Hex, Do You Right are key tracks for me. I'm surprise this wasn't their breakthrough instead of the self-titled album, which was also good.

Clarity by Jimmy Eat World : Another good album, not great but really strong track-by-track rotation. A Sunday, Ten, For Me This Is Heaven, Blister, Clarity...JEW is a good band, not "emo" as some have labeled them :mad:!

OK, can only of those five at the moment, any others?
PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    LongRd. wrote:
    Clarity by Jimmy Eat World : Another good album, not great but really strong track-by-track rotation. A Sunday, Ten, For Me This Is Heaven, Blister, Clarity...JEW is a good band, not "emo" as some have labeled them :mad:!

Clarity is a classic album! Heard them play Blister and For Me This is Heaven when I saw them a few weeks ago,was great. Futures is a bit underrated as well.For anyone who's never heard anything off Clarity,check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZR-Y2wU08

Adore by the Pumpkins comes to mind,I can listen to it no matter what mood I'm in unlike Mellon Collie or Siamese Dream.
    Ghost of Tom Joad and Devils and Dust by Springsteen are underrated too,Black Cowboys,The Hitter and Jesus was an only Son are the best he's ever written.
    Brighten the Corners by Pavement should be more popular than the noisey mess that is Slanted and Enchanted.
    Pop is the only U2 album I can listen to,the only album where they sounded remotely human(as opposed to trying to appeard Godlike) and more likeable for it.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    R.E.M.-New Adventures in Hi-Fi
    Bad Religion-The Grey Race
    Blind Melon-Soup
    INXS-Welcome to Wherever you Are
    Cowboy Junkies-everything other than The Trinity Sessions
    Pearl Jam-Binaural
    anything/everything by Catherine Wheel
    Bush-Golden State
  • Options
    Carlos D wrote:
    Clarity is a classic album! Heard them play Blister and For Me This is Heaven when I saw them a few weeks ago,was great. Futures is a bit underrated as well.For anyone who's never heard anything off Clarity,check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZR-Y2wU08
    I saw them live right when "The Middle" just became a big single, but they played mostly Bleed American songs. I bought Clarity + Static Prevails a few days after the show, and was impress with Tom's singing. Always thought Jim was the lead singer.

I haven't heard anything from Chase This Light because Futures kind of drive me away from them, same thing with Incubus' A Crow Left Off The Murder, they lost me with that album. Weird thing is, I considered Riot Act and "Avocado" sh!tty releases yet I'm still a hardcore P-Jammer; I guess after 5 straight incredible albums and a decent Binaural, they still have already made a big impact in my life so I can't just dump them like yesterday's dates :p.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Wow, some of mine are already listed...

Faith No More - Angel Dust
    Blind Melon - Soup
    Black Crowes - 3 Snakes & 1 Charm
    Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Carlos D wrote:

Adore by the Pumpkins comes to mind,I can listen to it no matter what mood I'm in unlike Mellon Collie or Siamese Dream.
    Ghost of Tom Joad and Devils and Dust by Springsteen are underrated too,Black Cowboys,The Hitter and Jesus was an only Son are the best he's ever written.
    Brighten the Corners by Pavement should be more popular than the noisey mess that is Slanted and Enchanted.
    Pop is the only U2 album I can listen to,the only album where they sounded remotely human(as opposed to trying to appeard Godlike) and more likeable for it.
    The Ghost Of Tom Joad is a very difficult record to listen to so i think it was overlooked by the masses for good reason (Youngstown and the title track are classics... there's some other stuff on there that's good too) but i'll have to agree on Devils & Dust. amazing record.
  • Options
    STP-4

not really sure if its a fan favorite, but its mine
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    John Martyn - The Tumbler (1968)

Listen to this track, "Seven Black Roses":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZBt4VTcUA
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Wow, some of mine are already listed...

Faith No More - Angel Dust
    Blind Melon - Soup
    Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
    that's why they're fan favorites. plus it's a PJ board so we do have some similar taste/interest ;)
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Jimmy Eat World is too emo, they like invented the genre...

I always found that Led Zeppelin III is underrated, Bleach by Nirvana, No Code by Pearl Jam, Badmotorfinger is a much better album than Superunknown, but im not sure it is underrated or overlooked.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    John Martyn - The Tumbler (1968)

Listen to this track, "Seven Black Roses":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZBt4VTcUA

The Tumbler is a great album. I only own that and the 2 disc greatest hits.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog: The "classic" albums are Bless The Weather (1971) right through to Grace and Danger (1980). Well worth checking out. His two albums with Beverley Martyn were good too, though Joe Boyd's Bryter Layter-style production scuppered The Road to Ruin a bit.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Nick Drake: Bryter Layter falls just shy. Poor Boy kills the flow for me.

But Five Leaves Left and Pink Moon and all of his rarities and outtakes = gold.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:
    Jimmy Eat World is too emo, they like invented the genre...

I always found that Led Zeppelin III is underrated, Bleach by Nirvana, No Code by Pearl Jam, Badmotorfinger is a much better album than Superunknown, but im not sure it is underrated or overlooked.
    Wrong. Jimmy eat World is a rock band that sounds nothing like the emo/pop-punk bands. I have four of their CD's for proof.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    STP-4

not really sure if its a fan favorite, but its mine

great call. this one got totally swept under the rug because of Scott's issues @ the time
  • Options
    btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    Wowee Zowee - Pavement
    -It's just all over the place. Takes the best elements of Slanted and Crooked and turns into something frantic, peaceful, and meaningful all at once.

Beck - Sea Change
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Bruce Springsteen - The Ghost of Tom Joad and Devils and Dust (both WAY better than Magic)

Tom Waits - Alice (beautiful album)

QOTSA - Lullabies to Paralyze (my favourite record of theirs)

Incubus - Crow Left of the Murder (fuckin' awesome album, which i listen to way more than Make Yourself)
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I guess the critics did not like it and i don't think it sold well initially, but ask most die hard neil fans and this one usually hits at the top or the top 5 of their fav neil albums all time.

Hell he did not even reissue it on cd until a few years back.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Bad Religion-The Grey Race
    Blind Melon-Soup
    INXS-Welcome to Wherever you Are
    Cowboy Junkies-everything other than The Trinity Sessions
    Pearl Jam-Binaural
    anything/everything by Catherine Wheel
    Bush-Golden State

wow, I think this is the first time I've seen the Catherine Wheel mentioned on this board. I'm a big fan. very cool mid-late 90s alt-rock. I saw them a few times back in college.
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Bruce Springsteen - The Ghost of Tom Joad and Devils and Dust (both WAY better than Magic)

Tom Waits - Alice (beautiful album)

Incubus - Crow Left of the Murder (fuckin' awesome album, which i listen to way more than Make Yourself)

Devil's and Dust was a #1 album, it's hard to say it was overlooked.

I will say that Springsteen's second album (though it has sold a boatload of copies retroactively) was one of the greatest albums of all time, and it was largely ignored.
  • Options
    HatfieldHatfield Posts: 122
    Not even mentioned on their Behind the Music. (Not the biggest point but an illustration of how underrated this album is.) Often times used before Pearl Jam shows as the house music though!
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '00 - 8/6 8/7 8/15 8/17 9/5
    '03 - 4/9 4/15 4/19 7/11 7/12
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
    '05 - 9/11 9/12 9/13 9/15
    '06 - 5/27 5/28 7/7 7/13 7/18 7/22 7/23
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Bruce Springsteen - Lucky Town
    Alice Cooper - Muscle Of Love
    Tom Petty - Hard Promises
    John Mellencamp - Whenever We Wanted to
    Kiss - Creatures Of The Night
    Black Crowes - Three Snakes And One Charm
    Iron Maiden - Killers
    Queensryche - Rage For Order
    Queen - Queen II
  • Options

Totally agree, in every aspect. Fucking masterpiece.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    RHCP - One Hot Minute
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Nick Drake: Bryter Layter falls just shy. Poor Boy kills the flow for me.

Yep, it's overproduced, with the "ironic" backing vocals and Chris MacGregor's wanky solo. Also, Hazey Jane II's horn section is lifeless and utterly lacking in swing. But I digress.
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    LongRd. wrote:
    OK, so we all "somewhat" agree that Yield and No Code are PJ's top fan favorite albums but it doesn't mean they were their best work; just favorable by the die-hard fans. But still, the 4th + 5th PJ efforts were commercially failures compared to their first three YET are highly regarded by the fans (us).

Anyways, what other fan favorite albums out there that other bands have released but did not sell as well nor get the recognition it deserves?
    Try to think of popular bands that have release more than 3 albums including a top seller.

My list!

Alice In Chain's Selft-Titled/Tripod : Did not have many hits as Dirt but it's a really good album that showcase Layne's songwriting skill (he wrote 8 songs on it). Other than the singles/videos that were release, some of the tracks were incredible; Shame In You, God Am, Brush Away and Head Creeps.

Angel Dust by Faith No More : Did not sell as much as The Real Thing but it showed a lot of the diverse musical influences FNM had from metal, hip-hop, jazz, electronic, etc.

Paul's Boutique by Beastie Boys : Hey Ladies was probably the biggest single off this album that featured amazing tracks such as High Plain Drifter, Looking Down A Barrell Of A Gun, Egg Man, and the 12-minute outro B-Boy Bouillabaisse that featured a dozen or so songs.

Music by 311 : It's not a great album because most 311 albums aren't "great" but it had 12 solid tracks, so it's a good CD. Visit, Paradise, Hydrophonic, My Stoney Baby, Nix Hex, Do You Right are key tracks for me. I'm surprise this wasn't their breakthrough instead of the self-titled album, which was also good.

duuude COULD NOT AGREE MORE about the aic self titled. first thought that came to mind. shame in you is possibly aic's best song.

if we aren't couting pj albums then:

chris cornell - euphoria morning
    stp - shangri la dee da
    screaming trees - dust
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    eyedclaar wrote:

Amen to that!!!! Girl From A Pawnshop is AMAZING!!!!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Amen to that!!!! Girl From A Pawnshop is AMAZING!!!!

Agreed. Nebakanezer might be my favorite BC tune ever. Such a heavy, cool riff and dark lyrics.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ii44 wrote:
    Devil's and Dust was a #1 album, it's hard to say it was overlooked.

Hmm, maybe not, but it gets FAR less praise than Magic on this board.....

Devils and Dust is a WAY the better record.....

Magic should be retitled Autopilot....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Hmm, maybe not, but it gets FAR less praise than Magic on this board.....

Devils and Dust is a WAY the better record.....

Magic should be retitled Autopilot....

Oh yeah it's a really great record, but it's not really a rock record, and this is a board for a rock and roll band therefore...

If Magic didn't have the holy motherfucking hell compressed out of it it probably would still be the better record... plus everybody really loves the E Street Band.
  • Options
    ii44 wrote:
    Oh yeah it's a really great record, but it's not really a rock record, and this is a board for a rock and roll band therefore...

I thought it was for all kinds of music....?

But yeah Magic is way compressed.....and the lyrics on that album? Meh.....