Metallica

edited June 2008 in Other Music
I know its taboo to mention them...I personally think that lars is such a dick...

But...

Holy Crap they Rock...I saw them at woodstock 99 and it must not have stuck with me over these years. The webcast from bonnaroo shows why they are soo popular. They are so heavy and have so many hits its ridiculous. Robert Trujillo has his base slung so low, he is almost in a catchers squat. Kirk is a guitar god and rips every solo he plays. People who hate on them do so because of their personalities...not because of their music. Dave Grohl requested them not to release their album until it was "kick ass" Based on how their playing Im sure it will.

THeir fans are kick ass and i am looking forward to the rubin record that is coming out soon. It has to be better than that steaming pile of crap that was St. Anger...

Im breaking out Garage Days, Kill em all and Ride the Lightining tomorrow!!

Adam

I hurt my neck when they played whiplash...seriously
"Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    I know its taboo to mention them...I personally think that lars is such a dick...

But...

Holy Crap they Rock...I saw them at woodstock 99 and it must not have stuck with me over these years. The webcast from bonnaroo shows why they are soo popular. They are so heavy and have so many hits its ridiculous. Robert Trujillo has his base slung so low, he is almost in a catchers squat. Kirk is a guitar god and rips every solo he plays. People who hate on them do so because of their personalities...not because of their music. Dave Grohl requested them not to release their album until it was "kick ass" Based on how their playing Im sure it will.

THeir fans are kick ass and i am looking forward to the rubin record that is coming out soon. It has to be better than that steaming pile of crap that was St. Anger...

Adam

I am DEFINITELY not a fan of Metallica, they don't do it for me, but GOD DAMN they rocked that farm tonight. Older or not, they seriously kicked some ass. Not a fan of their music, but the crowd was definitely feeding off their energy.
  • mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    I've got something to say, Metallica kicked some ass today!
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • I've been a Metallica fan since I was introduced to them in 1988 at the age of 10. Back in those days I lived and breathed Ride, Master and Justice. In the 20-years since, I've endured lots of subpar music, which I feel started with the Black album, but I also feel each album has produced SOME great music as well...except St. Anger, sorry.

But in those 20-years, I've also seen the band live several times and they're one of the best live bands out there. They play their hearts out, they play for their fans and they play with such precision it's ridiculous.

I'm all for someone not liking a band's music bc the music just doesn't work for them...it just seems that, as mentioned earlier, people dislike them more for personality stuff...such as Lars vs Napster...I'd think more people would at least respect (even if they don't like) their earlier music, their ability as musicians and their influence on the landscape of music in general. Just bc Lars had a stance most people don't agree with, people want to hate the band...it has nothing to do with the music. It's like people hating Pearl Jam for the Bushleaguer drama or fighting Ticketmaster or any number of things. But this seems to be true for almost all bands, celebs, companies...people latch onto their personal stuff and can't separate it from their music, movies, television, products, etc. Oh well, I guess that's just how it is...but the fact is, like the music or not, these boys can play!
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    People who hate on them do so because of their personalities...not because of their music.

I think the only personality people don't like is Lars. I used to like Metallica, their first few albums are awesome, since then their music just doesn't do it for me. Metallica is great live because they've been playing those songs for 20 years, they better play them well.
  • Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Master of Puppets is the best metal album. Battery.

Everything else they did I cannot get into. Their live shows have always been good (seen them twice), but their albums have been kinda week IMO.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    BATTERY is nuts live, so is fight fire with fire.

they rock hard live. lucky enough to see em 3 times, cant wait for the return to vancouver.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Metallica are the shiznit...

PRE Re-load.

Seen 'em numerous times live and they always impress :D

I don't understand why it would be a taboo to mention them though? :confused:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    fucking love them

seen them twice live and they are awesome, not really into the thrashy stuff but nowadays even when they play it it sounds really good.

LOAD FTW!
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    I love them from kill em all up to and justice for all. They lost me from the black album onwards. I know it's the album that made them huge but it just sounded kind of ordinary to me. In the eighties no other metal band could touch them, they set the standard. But rise and fall is the way things go.

Also the first gig I went to : Metallica in the top hat, Dun laoghaire in Dublin...october 1988
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Their earlier stuff is best but there are still great tracks on the black album, load and Re-load. My personal favourite is S&M tho.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • doujodoujo Posts: 285
    anyone know the setlist from bonnaroo?
  • Metallica are amazing and I love Load and Reload. That is all.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    I saw them once and they rocked pretty freakin hard. I'll see them again if there new album is good.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627

But...

Adam

Are you at Bonnaroo? I turned on Fuse last night, but all they were showing was highlights of the bands that are playing. I also could not find any webcasts.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • I like Metallica but I never had the live experience. I enjoy there bootlegs from time to time and Look forward to there new album even if Lars is a bit of a Rusty tool.
  • Are you at Bonnaroo? I turned on Fuse last night, but all they were showing was highlights of the bands that are playing. I also could not find any webcasts.

No i was in front of my computer watching the webcast...so awesome!!
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    No i was in front of my computer watching the webcast...so awesome!!

Damn! I could not find it. Was it the ATT Blue lounge?
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    Damn! I could not find it. Was it the ATT Blue lounge?
    yes
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gHvrCSGBFvk&feature=related

I saw them at the Forum in LA a few years ago and they were horrid! James' voice sound so much better
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
    stickfig13 wrote:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gHvrCSGBFvk&feature=related

I saw them at the Forum in LA a few years ago and they were horrid! James' voice sound so much better

I forgot to mention that Kirk is a fucking god!
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    In going to see them in August for the first time. I'm not a huge fan but I'm pretty excited about seeing them. Glad to hear the show was good the other night.
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    They were pretty cool last night. the mix was a little flat (at least through my computer lol) but James looked and sounded good.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    New album will be called Death Magnetic

http://www.metallica.com
  • Klumpie wrote:

Huh, interesting name.
    Klumpie wrote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say even though they kill their old stuff....

There new stuff will be a big steaming pile of crap. They have nothing to be angry about anymore....
  • doujo wrote:
    anyone know the setlist from bonnaroo?

Creeping Death
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Ride The Lightning
    Harvester Of Sorrow
    The Unforgiven
    ...And Justice For All
    No Remorse
    The Memory Remains
    Fade To Black
    Master Of Puppets
    Whiplash
    Nothing Else Matters
    Sad But True
    One
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - -
    Last Caress
    So What
    Seek and Destroy

There you go.
    Money won't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Creeping Death
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Ride The Lightning
    Harvester Of Sorrow
    The Unforgiven
    ...And Justice For All
    No Remorse
    The Memory Remains
    Fade To Black
    Master Of Puppets
    Whiplash
    Nothing Else Matters
    Sad But True
    One
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - -
    Last Caress
    So What
    Seek and Destroy

There you go.

Great great show. Very pleased with Metallica that night!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee