Rush

Prioronfire22Prioronfire22 Posts: 393
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I'm a big Rush fan and I have been for a long time now. Any other fans? Their new album was really good and I'm seeing them at the First Midwest Bank Ampatheatre on Sept 8th in Chicago.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    You'll find a whole bunch of Rush fans on this board. Saw them for the first time in 1977 (yes I am that old) and followed them up until the Grace Under Pressure album. After that I kinda fell out of love with them for a long time, but since seeing the R30 DVD I've been getting into them again and I'm off to see them for the first time in years at Manchester in October. Can't wait!
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    rush have been one of my favourite bands since i disovered them in 1982. their new album is indeed very good. unfortunately i have to wait until october to see them, when they come to europe (two tours running for the first time since forever!). the members are all superb musicains and they have made a career by doing things their way which is a rarity now.
  • Fender_Man wrote:
    You'll find a whole bunch of Rush fans on this board. Saw them for the first time in 1977 (yes I am that old) and followed them up until the Grace Under Pressure album. After that I kinda fell out of love with them for a long time, but since seeing the R30 DVD I've been getting into them again and I'm off to see them for the first time in years at Manchester in October. Can't wait!

Oh man that is awesome seeing them in 77 would be amazing that is when they were really in their prime. I'm not saying they can't still play, but you know what I mean. I loved Geddy's voice around that time. Did they play all of 2112?

On a side note: I wish people would really give Counterparts a listen that is easily my favorite of theirs from the 90's
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    The set they played back in '77 was pretty much the same as the All The Worlds A Stage album with the shortened version of 2112. I'd never heard a song or even seen a picture of the band when I first saw them, it was the first big concert I had been to. As you can imagine it was a pretty awe inspiring experience, I can remember standing there open mouthed for pretty much the whole show.

When they came back to the UK a year later for the Farewell To Kings tour, I knew every word and every note of every song. We were really lucky back then, they seemed to visit the UK every year for a 5 year period and I got to see them over 20 times in all.

The most memorable year for me was the Permanent Waves tour in 1980. A bunch of us camped out overnight at the Hammersmith Odeon (now the Apollo) and got tickets in the front 3 rows for 5 consecutive nights! I even left my own 18th birthday party early, to see one of those shows.

I think their creative peak was between '78 and '82, but I think they are all better musicians now. Alex and Geddy's playing has got better with age, Neil has always been shit hot!

Fuck me, I feel really old now thinking about those days, I'm off for an afternoon siesta!
  • Haha alright have fun with that, sounds like great times. This is actually my first show I'm only 18, but yeah just from owning all of their cds and watching all of their dvds I know I'm in for a great show.