50 greatest rock drummers list

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    BUT

Chamberlin should be top 10 and if Cameron's not top 10 I'll shit myself.

If Cameron is top 10, then the list is cracked.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:
    If Cameron is top 10, then the list is cracked.
    He's just to goddamn consistant and has that wild ability to seamlessly stick very odd time signatures into songs without you noticing. I think he's worthy.. He's no Chamberlin, but he's worthy.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    He's just to goddamn consistant and has that wild ability to seamlessly stick very odd time signatures into songs without you noticing. I think he's worthy.. He's no Chamberlin, but he's worthy.

Cameron is a very good, very competent drummer, and wouldn't be out of place in the top 50. He's no top 10.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    yosi wrote:
    Cameron is a very good, very competent drummer, and wouldn't be out of place in the top 50. He's no top 10.
    Exactly. Better than Neil from Rush?
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I was pleased to see Bill Ward in the top 20, very under rated. Check out The Wizard. Fantastic stuff. Juk
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Exactly. Better than Neil from Rush?

Not even close, and he is the the king of seamlessly switching into random ridiculously complex time signatures. I don't think even Matt would say he is as good as him.

Side note - I think Neil should have been closer to the top ten.
  • yosi wrote:
    you're probably right,.. I've just got a personal bias for his style.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    you're probably right,.. I've just got a personal bias for his style.

Fair enough, can't argue with taste.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    jimed14 wrote:
    Neil Peart ... 22?

I cry shinanigans.
    My sentiments exactly.
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    Fender_Man wrote:
    I've just got out my crystal ball and will now predict the top 10 based on their selections so far. I'll be staggered if I get more than 3 right.

John Bonham
    Keith Moon
    Stewart Copeland
    Topper Headon
    Charlie Watts
    Mitch Mitchell
    Carl Palmer
    Steve Gadd
    Vinnie Colaiuta
    Nick Mason

Outside bet Chad Smith?

5 out of 10, not bad, although pretty obvious choices. Moe Tucker in the top 10?? Karen Carpenter was a better drummer! Stephen Morris??? I always thought Joy Division used a drum machine until I saw a documentary on them a few years back. Bernard Purdie, as good a drummer that he is, should not qualify for a rock drummer list.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    TrixieCat wrote:
    So happy to see Grant Hart on there. I love him and I love Husker Du.
    His solo stuff was cool, too. 2541 will forever epitomize my first semester in college. le sigh....
    It always amazes me to see videos of him pounding the shit out of those skins while singing at the same time.

not particularly a Hart highlight (although the drumming is ace) but there's a video of the Huskers' cover of Eight Miles High by the birds live at Pinkpop in '87. one of the most mindblowing vocal performances I've ever heard. Mould sounds ferocious.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Five drummers that I think should have definitely been on that list...

Vinnie Paul Abott (Pantera)- instead of Dave Lombardo
    Danny Carey (Tool)- instead of Igor Cavelera
    Jon Fishman (Phish)
    Bill Kreutzman (Grateful Dead)
    Todd Nance (Widespread Panic)

You may not like some of those bands, but there is no denying their amazing talent!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • I like how all the pictures were so perfessional and nice or black and white or something while Dave Grohls was a shot from the Big Me video of him making a funny face.
    Vancouver 09/02/05, so far so good
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Neal Peart @ 22 + no Danny Carey = indie snobbery!

Nice to see Lombardo recognized, though...
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Where are:
    Taylor Hawkins
    Joey Castillo
    Carl Palmer
    Buddy Miles
    Jim Gordon
    Jim Keltner
    Roger Taylor
    Chad Smith
    Travis Barker?
    Why are Billy Cobham and Ginger Baker ranked so low? Why is Charlie Watts ranked so high?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
    I think you'd see Cameron in the top ten if he was a little more "exotic". The guy keeps it simple (which is sometimes good) but you never really hear many exciting sounds out of him. He should really get some effects cymbals or something. A nice china would spice things upon the earlier songs and really make some ballads sound stunning.
    "Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
  • Classic Rock magazine did an excellent list 3 years ago of the same thing - top 50 "rock" drummers. It was an awesome read. The Classic Rock Mag list was a little more mainstream, but it was not a fan poll - it was supposedly done by experts. So people who are upset with this list will be happy to know that Mike Portnoy was, like, #12 on that list and Matt Cameron was number 34 (I do remember that exactly). Oh, and Lars Ulrich was #28 - one spot lower than Ringo (Lars sucks). Jimmy Chamberlain was somewhere in the 20's, Dave Grohl was number 2, and Bonham topped the list. Keith Moon was #3, and I believe Neil Peart was #4. Dave Lombardo was either 6 or 7. So maybe you'll like that list better.

I do enjoy how this list digs kinda deep, though.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    Fender_Man wrote:
    I would have put Billy Cobham in the top 20 and wouldn't have Ringo within 1,000 miles of any best drummer list, imo.

Agreed 100%.

Also.....Charlie Watts in the top 10? I love the stones....but I can't think of one Stones song that makes me say "Fuck, Charlie Watts blew me away on that one!"

Mo Tucker of Velvet Underground? Jesus Christ.

Here's my vote for a drummer that should have made the top 10....but didn't even make the list. Tiki Fullwood of Funkadelic.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
    Cosmo wrote:
    Where are:
    Taylor Hawkins
    Joey Castillo
    Carl Palmer
    Buddy Miles
    Jim Gordon
    Jim Keltner
    Roger Taylor
    Chad Smith
    Travis Barker?
    Why are Billy Cobham and Ginger Baker ranked so low? Why is Charlie Watts ranked so high?

Thank you. Agree with your post also.

And where is John Fishman of Phish? I know many of you hate Phish....but when I used to go to Phish shows, I watched him 80% of the time because he is truly amazing, creative, and the backbone of one of the greatest jam bands of all time.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Milestone wrote:
    And where is John Fishman of Phish? I know many of you hate Phish....but when I used to go to Phish shows, I watched him 80% of the time because he is truly amazing, creative, and the backbone of one of the greatest jam bands of all time.

Agreed. The drummer in my band can play any part from any famous song or drum solo, from Chamberlin to Grohl to Bonham... but there are a couple Phish songs where he can't even fathom even attempting them! Fishman is THE most underrated drummer of all time. He is the Jimi Hendrix of drums!!

..and yes I am also in agreement that I would be watching Fishman a lot during the 33 shows that I went to, but I don't know about 80%. I mean let's not even get started on how good Trey is on guitar, and Page on keys, and Mike on bass... :D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    Trailer wrote:
    ..and yes I am also in agreement that I would be watching Fishman a lot during the 33 shows that I went to, but I don't know about 80%. I mean let's not even get started on how good Trey is on guitar, and Page on keys, and Mike on bass... :D

Ok, maybe 80% was an exaggeration....but during the long jams, I'd often focus on Fishman.
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    What? No Meg White?

;)

Sorry, just had to do it.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • HOW THE FUCK DID DAVE GROHL GET ON THE LIST AND NOT DANNEY CAREY.........that list fucking blows on so many levels.
  • caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    No Mike Portnoy? WTF?
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
    caifan82 wrote:
    No Mike Portnoy? WTF?

That was the first name that jumped out at me as being absent.
  • #1 John Bonham - 9 out of 10 drummers would agree... ;)
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    #1 John Bonham - 9 out of 10 drummers would agree... ;)
    I agree. Keith Moon is a very, VERY close second... but, Bonham pretty much invented the Heavy Metal drumming that everyone since then has either been influenced by... or outright try to copy.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    What the fuck? No Travis Barker on the list? He should be on the top 10 for fuck's sake!

... and Chamberlin should be on the top 20.

... and fuck no Tommy fucking Lee?
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    the fact that Danny Carey is not on this list.. makes it null and void..
  • since neil peart isnt in the top 3 i lend no credibility to this list - lists like this are fun to discuss but rarely are they even close to being right. anyone who doesnt think peart is in the top three must never have seen him live.
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog