Bedlam in Goliath...on my player...now!

GetALifeGetALife Posts: 563
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Good morning!

Since the European release of The Mars Volta's new album is today, I went downtown this morning...breakfast on the way...bought it! Great artwork...listening to it right now...exciting!

:)

Chris
2000: Hamburg
2006: Berlin
2007: Munich * Düsseldorf
2009: Berlin * Manchester * London
2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin
2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen
EV 2012: Amsterdam I & II
2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin
EV 2017: Berlin
2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin
2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II #
2024: Berlin I & II

~~~

“It is curious that while good people go to great lengths to spare their children from suffering, few of them seem to notice that the one (and only) guaranteed way to prevent all the suffering of their children is not to bring those children into existence in the first place.”
― David Benatar - Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Nice, I hope you get to check them out when they visit Europe. I just saw them the other day and wow, what a show!

I hope you like live drummers because Pridgen is a beast.
  • GetALifeGetALife Posts: 563
    ...the album is awesome! "Soothsayer" is ... wow ...

I'll see them in Hamburg, Feb 17th :)

Where did you see them Red Lukin and what can you tell about the setlist and the length of the show?

Chris

~~~

“It is curious that while good people go to great lengths to spare their children from suffering, few of them seem to notice that the one (and only) guaranteed way to prevent all the suffering of their children is not to bring those children into existence in the first place.”

• BeavBeav Posts: 223
    This album is fucking awesome. I can listen to it straight through. And remember: Thomas does NOT use a double-kick pedal!
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
    GetALife wrote:
    ...the album is awesome! "Soothsayer" is ... wow ...

I'll see them in Hamburg, Feb 17th :)

Where did you see them Red Lukin and what can you tell about the setlist and the length of the show?

Chris

Haha Beav, you must have heard about or went to the Tor show.

Life, I saw them in Toronto, and at MTV the next day. Cedric jumped at me, basically crawled down me and crawled on the floor. It was weird.

As for the show, it was 2.5 hours. 1/2 of the show was from the new album, then had 4 songs from Amp, 2 from the first album and one from frances. I won't go into too much details about the songs (don't wanna ruin it for you), but Thomas was amazing. And Omar played some sweet riffs on the guitar. Cedric is still a mad man.

I must say it was a mind blowing show, but I prefer the show back in 05'. That show from the Frances tour was unbelievable, and sure Thomas is a wicked drummer I still prefer Jon's drumming. Jon isn't as fast, but I love his style...he just draws me in.

You're in for a treat either way.,,
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Haha Beav, you must have heard about or went to the Tor show.

Life, I saw them in Toronto, and at MTV the next day. Cedric jumped at me, basically crawled down me and crawled on the floor. It was weird.

As for the show, it was 2.5 hours. 1/2 of the show was from the new album, then had 4 songs from Amp, 2 from the first album and one from frances. I won't go into too much details about the songs (don't wanna ruin it for you), but Thomas was amazing. And Omar played some sweet riffs on the guitar. Cedric is still a mad man.

I must say it was a mind blowing show, but I prefer the show back in 05'. That show from the Frances tour was unbelievable, and sure Thomas is a wicked drummer I still prefer Jon's drumming. Jon isn't as fast, but I love his style...he just draws me in.

You're in for a treat either way.,,

...pardon me...I can't translate the last sentence...it's a saying, isn't it? Don't get it...

~~~

GetALife wrote:
    ...pardon me...I can't translate the last sentence...it's a saying, isn't it? Don't get it...

What don't you get? I think what I'm saying it's it's gonna be an awesome show.
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    Just got back from last night's show. Was just shy of 2.5 hrs... and mind blowing.
  • T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186
    does anyone have the exclusive track that was on the website after you solved the puzzle, i did it and it said i had an invalid code
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!
    Red Lukin wrote:
    What don't you get? I think what I'm saying it's it's gonna be an awesome show.

I couldn't get the last sentence...but now - I'm expecting to experience a privileged treatment, was what you meant...thanks :)

~~~

T-Case wrote:
    does anyone have the exclusive track that was on the website after you solved the puzzle, i did it and it said i had an invalid code

Here you go, my friend:

http://rapidshare.com/files/87249547/Back_Up_Against_The_Wall.mp3.html

...almost...punky...

~~~

• GetALife wrote:

That's because it's a Circle Jerks cover.

ALSO, TBIG official release is TODAI!
  • Sawyer wrote:
    this band is noise....that letterman performance recently was pathetic.

Uhhhhh...you've obviously never heard a real noise band. The Mars Volta are the farthest thing from noise.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Sawyer wrote:
    I generally agree with a lot of the stuff you like but here we obviously are a bit different.

I picked up the new album today and listened to it on a client visit. got all the way through it once. I can never tell how much i'll like a Mars Volta album on the first listen but this one has promise.

To my ears they are far from noise. i love the way they jam together.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Sawyer wrote:
    To your ears perhaps. I prefer to listen to music I like than to things that I think make me appear smarter.

And I fucking love The Mars Volta.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Absolutely awful album.

They only get worse.
    That's the point. "Let's make kick ass music that the average music listener won't understand - fuck corporate music."
  • Sawyer wrote:
    thank you

get a room u 2
  • darthdarth Posts: 139
    I love the Volta and the new album is fantastic!
    9/16/95; 10/14/00; 10/15/00; 10/17/00; 4/5/03; 4/6/03; 10/04/09; 11/12/12 (Ed); 11/16/13; 10/12/14
  • T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186
    GetALife wrote:
    thanks, i was so pissed when i finished the puzzle and didnt get the song
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!
  • pjjjpjjj Posts: 43
    Too soon to judge for me, Volta albums always take a little getting used to.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    I was looking forward to it, and listening through it, there are a lot of good moments througout. Especially track 3 through 5 are really good.

But, to my ears, they are overdoing it. The almost complete lack of pauses or bouts of silence inbetween makes it all just mesh together for me when listening through all of it. Instead of buildup and climax, it sort of never goes down below just-before-climax, and Zavala stays most of the time at the top of his falsetto vocals. This was also the case on Amputechture. It's good and all, but my ears get all fatigued listening to it, and after a while, I never really feel like putting it on again. I fear this will be the case with this album too.

I'd still like to see them go a bit back to the de-loused and frances days. And rediscover use of silence, or just not fill up every second with sound.

But for this I'd rate the new album as a 4/6 perhaps? Good, but some ways off great.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
    Yah, I wish they would do something like frances again that album was brilliant. Not giving up on this one until ive listened to it more, hopefully its better then amputechture.
  • pjjj wrote:
    Yah, I wish they would do something like frances again that album was brilliant.

that's retarded.
    why should a band ever do the same thing twice. bands need to move forward and change, and that's exactly what The Mars Volta has done with Bedlam. They don't want to repeat themselves, and they shouldn't have to.

IMO, Bedlam is their best album to date. And I'll even go as far as to call it best album of 2008.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • There is an audio interview with Omar on mp3.com where he says he wrote an hour long song and it was almost finished, but then he listend back to it and it sounded exactly like something on Frances. So he threw it out and started over.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    rigneyclan wrote:
    IMO, Bedlam is their best album to date. And I'll even go as far as to call it best album of 2008.
    Hehe, so would I, but there havent exaclty been many releases to compete with so far. :) Still a fan, but as I said, I wish they wouldn't cram so much into it. That's my opinion. I know many others love it. It's better than amputechture though.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
    rigneyclan wrote:
    that's retarded.
    why should a band ever do the same thing twice. bands need to move forward and change, and that's exactly what The Mars Volta has done with Bedlam. They don't want to repeat themselves, and they shouldn't have to.

I dont know how you can say that bedlam is their best album to date when you've had all of two days to listen to it. And the best album of 08? its january.....

Anyway what I meant by something like frances is by being brilliant and "epic", and everything fitting perfectly like frances, instead of the all over the place sound of amputechture.

Bedlam is pretty good so far but I'm going to listen to it a bit more before I declare it their best and the best of the year.
    Check this out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/mpd/permalink/mODP37S1LV6U0

That's the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mnIzNY0DP4

:)

PS: Could anyone please make an mp3 of the song from the first link? That would be great...

~~~

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I got this album today and have listened to it a few times, and i'm really liking it. It's nice to have short songs, not that I don't love their long epics...but like others have said, it's good they aren't doing the same thing over and over.

I for one really like Amputechture.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I have been listening to TBIG all day every day for the last two weeks. At the moment I feel it's their best and the only one I can listen to all the way through and love every minute. I somewhat agree that it could use a little "space" here and there but I still love it. Hurry and reschedule the Columbus date!!!!!
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • Just picked this up over the weekend, and after listening through a few times I'm really liking it.

Definitely different than their other albums, but that's typical for them. I can agree somewhat with what people are saying about overdoing it. There are some moments where there is just too much going on to really appreciate what they're doing.

I've liked everything they put out so far, but I'd put this one ahead of Amp and probably less than Frances and Coma. It's to early to say how I'll like it in the long run though.

I forgot to mention Ilyena is funky as hell, and Wax Simulacra is almost dizzyingly complex!:)
    Obama/Biden '08!!!