Hi guys, need your opinions

ShazanawooShazanawoo Posts: 7
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Hey,

I'm looking to buy a CD for my bf's sister. She likes bands such as; Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Queen, System of a Down, Bloc Party, U2 (shes a big U2 fan infact).

Was wondering if you can give me some idea's of bands/artists she maybe interested in? I don't want to buy any albums from the bands i've mentioned incase she has all their material already.

I heard a song on Radio 1, i think its their ''song of the week'' and it sounds like a mix between Arcade Fire & U2. Does anybody know the name of this band? I may get that....but I doubt its released yet.

Any idea's/help is all greatly received. Thanks xxx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Kings of Leon ?
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Thanks. What album do you recommend?

Also: she's more interested in the sound of the music than the actual lyrics (she can't speak English, so thats probabley why!! LOL)
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I'd second Kings of Leon... wolfmother... if she doesn't have any led zeppelin it could be the best pressie she EVER got.

Do you know if she has any Pearl Jam live shows? You can download pretty much all of them online either.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    KOL - AHA shake heartbreak is a good one. It's the kinda music where the lyrics don't have to mean much anyway, just makes ya dance around to it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Shazanawoo wrote:
    Thanks. What album do you recommend?

Also: she's more interested in the sound of the music than the actual lyrics (she can't speak English, so thats probabley why!! LOL)

Their last album is pretty good: because of the times.
    A bit more expensive but good if she doens't have live Pearl Jam disc: gorge boxset.
    Another good bandI recommedn: cold war kids (their album "robbers and cowards" is awesome)
  • I'd second Kings of Leon... wolfmother... if she doesn't have any led zeppelin it could be the best pressie she EVER got.

Do you know if she has any Pearl Jam live shows? You can download pretty much all of them online either.

Yeah shes pretty much got all the P.J live material ;-) (she got me addicted!!).

Thanks for the KOL suggestions. I'll look into the Led Zeppelin but i'm pretty sure she has some of their CD's already :-S (god, I hate buying presents!! lol)
    Shazanawoo wrote:
    Yeah shes pretty much got all the P.J live material ;-) (she got me addicted!!).

Thanks for the KOL suggestions. I'll look into the Led Zeppelin but i'm pretty sure she has some of their CD's already :-S (god, I hate buying presents!! lol)
    :D I know what ya mean... if she's THAT big into PJ she may know KOL anyway as Ed's got up on stage with them a few times :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • The Answer, thay are really good.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Cheers for the help guys. Theres soooo many choices, grrrr.
  • yea the answer, biffy clyro, jet, pink floyd!!
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    I'd recommend Silverchair's latest album Young Modern
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    good thing to try is go to amazon.com and type in one of her favourite bands names and it does this thing at the bottom where it says

"other people who liked Pearl Jam also bought this ............." and it gives you some recommendations based on what people who listen to certain stuff buy... it can be quite useful :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Sooo I just had a little listen to some of the bands mentioned on their myspace's.

Jet-They sound good. Sounds a little like Oasis who I know shes likes, also.

cold war kids-these are reallllly good!!! I don't think she'll like it though, (the lyrics are abit too deep and may go over her head.) But i'm gonna buy this for my bf!!!

Silverchair & The Answer-quite heavy. I'm gonna give them another listen later.

Kings of Leon-I recognise this band!! LOL (Have you guessed i'm a hiphop fan, yet?) I actually really like KOL. Dammit, this is sooooo hard to decide!!!
  • Is there a difference between these two albums? I think the tracklist is the same, i'm guessing its just the cover is different?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robbers-Cowards-Cold-War-Kids/dp/B000JJSJYG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/203-4202830-3039147?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1187276845&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robbers-Cowards-Cold-War-Kids/dp/B000I2IRDC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/203-4202830-3039147?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1187276590&sr=8-2

I went on their official website for help but it didn't have any info. And on their Myspace they only have a photo of the last album cover.
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    people still buy CD's? Itunes Gift Cards all the way!
    "It's all happening"
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Interpol. The one with the mostly black cover and then some red.

Bjork. The one with the grey cover and squiggles like drawings.

The Singles soundtrack.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    people still buy CD's? Itunes Gift Cards all the way!
    iTunes music store sucks !
    Gift cards are ok, because it's free, but paying for electronic music (poor quality MP3) isn't the best way to buy music. You even don't have the cover..
    And once your music has been listened on 5 different PCs, you can't listen to them anymore. I have at least 50 songs I bought 2 or 3 years ago that I can't listen to anymore... and I paid for that !
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Silverchair & The Answer-quite heavy. I'm gonna give them another listen later.

The last 2 Silverchair are far from being anything close to heavy, so ya either pick Young Modern or Diorama to listen to later :)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Interpol. The one with the mostly black cover and then some red.

Bjork. The one with the grey cover and squiggles like drawings.

The Singles soundtrack.
    Turn on the Bright Lights -Interpol
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    New Interpol, The National, Kings of Leon, Editors, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Spoon, ...can't think of anymore, but thats what i've been listening to for the past month.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Julien wrote:
    iTunes music store sucks !
    Gift cards are ok, because it's free, but paying for electronic music (poor quality MP3) isn't the best way to buy music. You even don't have the cover..
    And once your music has been listened on 5 different PCs, you can't listen to them anymore. I have at least 50 songs I bought 2 or 3 years ago that I can't listen to anymore... and I paid for that !

have no clue what you are talking about, I have never had a problem with it, and I've been using itunes since 2003.
    "It's all happening"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Alice in chains?
    Soundgarden?
    Blind Melon?
    Mother love bone?
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    If she likes U2 she'll like Micheal Franti and Spearhead. My friend Michael Franti and his band Spearhead will say it in the video "YELL FIRE" a revolution a come.

Micheal is a huge fan of Bono in fact toured with on the Zooropa Tour in the early 90's. Checkout his website at stayhuman.org or spearheadvibrations.com

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    Shazanawoo wrote:
    Hey,

I'm looking to buy a CD for my bf's sister. She likes bands such as; Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Queen, System of a Down, Bloc Party, U2 (shes a big U2 fan infact).

Was wondering if you can give me some idea's of bands/artists she maybe interested in? I don't want to buy any albums from the bands i've mentioned incase she has all their material already.

I heard a song on Radio 1, i think its their ''song of the week'' and it sounds like a mix between Arcade Fire & U2. Does anybody know the name of this band? I may get that....but I doubt its released yet.

Any idea's/help is all greatly received. Thanks xxx

If she's into crazy alternative stuff it has to be...

FAITH NO MORE - THE REAL THING

download the songs 'Falling To Pieces' and 'Epic' then decide for yourself