Lenny Kravitz

ashtrayrockashtrayrock Posts: 167
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Just wondering if there are any fans out there in PJ land

He recently did a 3 song set at Canada's Grey Cup(football game) and blew the roof off the place. He opened with a new song and then did American Woman and Are You Gonna Go My Way. He still has Craig Russ on geetar and that dude smokes!

Also Lenny's cd called "5" is absolutley one on my desert island picks...completely timeless and full of r&b soulfunk and rawk...if you don't have it, do yourself the favour :)
For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    that performance at the Grey Cup was really good.

he rocked the hell out of the Dome, with only 3 songs.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    i have been a long time fan of Lenny... saw him several times in NYC when he was first starting (first couple of tours)... he rocks out and always has a killer band backing him up.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • I like lenny I'm not a big fan but he 's a great artist
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i can't stand him. i always felt like he was far more concerned with having the coolest style than decent music.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Cab Driver has a killer bass groove to it.

Seen Lenny a few times...once from the front row. The bass thumping 'Are You Gonna Go My Way' was awesome.
    I love to turn you on
  • i can't stand him. i always felt like he was far more concerned with having the coolest style than decent music.

Fair enough...but...

So, style/fashion and music don't go together? That's news to me! lol

I think PJ are one of the ony anti-fashion bands out there! lol

I think you need to give his music another try cause if his fashion sense is getting in the way of your decision making process then you probably also don't like Bowie, Rolling Stones etc...

Lenny is an incredible singer/songwriter/geetar player...he's got the goods!

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    To me he was a rock god through "Are You Gonna Go My Way". Now he's just another sold out rock star (see Chris Cornell - yow!). I'd pay money to see him play the entire "Are You Gonna Go My Way" album live though.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Fair enough...but...

So, style/fashion and music don't go together? That's news to me! lol

I think PJ are one of the ony anti-fashion bands out there! lol

I think you need to give his music another try cause if his fashion sense is getting in the way of your decision making process then you probably also don't like Bowie, Rolling Stones etc...

Lenny is an incredible singer/songwriter/geetar player...he's got the goods!

for bowie, the costumes were part of the act. i know nothing about the rolling stones and fashion. all i know is for a few years there, kravitz spent more time hawking merchandise and clothing brands and accepting awards at fashion shows than he did onstage. that's lamer than hell.

i loathed his cover of american woman. and his last few singles were annoying too. though i'll admit 'are you gonna go my way' is a cool song. i saw hanson cover 'let love rule' and they played it 100 times better than kravitz did.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Love Lenny. Although I have to admit that his last couple of albums haven't lived up to his earlier work.
    But like Lenny once said himself "one minute you're shit, the next you're shit hot" !!

Mama Said & 5 are two of my favourite albums. Always liked Circus too.

Never seen him live. Although I did have tickets to see him in Manchester a few years ago, only for the show to be cancelled !!!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • for bowie, the costumes were part of the act. i know nothing about the rolling stones and fashion. all i know is for a few years there, kravitz spent more time hawking merchandise and clothing brands and accepting awards at fashion shows than he did onstage. that's lamer than hell.

i loathed his cover of american woman. and his last few singles were annoying too. though i'll admit 'are you gonna go my way' is a cool song. i saw hanson cover 'let love rule' and they played it 100 times better than kravitz did.

Bowie is very linked up with fashion and he's always been about style...I'm not talking Ziggy days...more so when he wasn't playing a character. He's always been fashionable and smartly dressed, always in style. Jagger is all about fashion as well. I could also say Keith Richards has fashion sense but I'm just not sure what style he's offering ;)

I understand your point about how Lenny got sidetracked into selling/promoting clothes...but is that any different than Dylan representing Cadillac or Victoria Secret? Lots of stars have done GAP commercials...and I would venture that the numbers of celebrities/musicians that haven't "sold out" are less than the numbers that have.

Lenny's had a couple hits and misses, as has all bands. I will agree that lately his cds haven't been as good as the old dayz but he's still got the goods, as displayed at the Grey Cup...his new song is absolutely mindblowing. Trust me on that.

If you wish, buy his cd "5" that is by far the best there is, imho. Don't give up hope :)

If you like Hanson you'll love "5" ;)

Good to see at least you can get by image...otherwise you wouldn't be a Hanson fan...mmmbop lol!! I haven't seen Hanson, but I have read about the raves :)

Did you like The Guess Who's version of American Woman over Hanson's version? Cause I think Lenny's version blows away the original...and I'm a Guess Who fan! lol

• Whats the name of the new song?
  • I can only assume it's the title track...it was a heavy rocker, that is a for sure

This is what I found online...I don't know that it helps answer the question, though...

"Canada, thank you," Kravitz said following a brief three-song set that ended with a reference to his upcoming disc, "It is Time for a Love Revolution," due in February.

"Peace. Love. Revolution," he said before leaving the stage