Whats next for tool??????

Jaster_zegramJaster_zegram Posts: 2
edited March 2008 in Other Music
so does ne1 think they will realese the album that was supposed to be realeased before opiate
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• no
    I believe they are done...at best another 4 years for an album
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • USCJeffUSCJeff Posts: 92
    no
    I believe they are done...at best another 4 years for an album

So sad but true
  • Pity as APC has disembarked as well

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Glad they are done. They used to be so freaking awesome but 10,000 Days sucked.
  • Tool will release another album that sounds EXACTLY like Lateralus and 10,000 Days

Every Tool fan will rejoice at how "diverse they still are", and claim anyone that doesn't like it simply "doesn't get it" or "has a short attention span"
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Tool will release another album that sounds EXACTLY like Lateralus and 10,000 Days

Every Tool fan will rejoice at how "diverse they still are", and claim anyone that doesn't like it simply "doesn't get it" or "has a short attention span"

Well said.
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    They used to be so freaking awesome but 10,000 Days sucked.

Agreed.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I bought 10,000 Days when it came out, marvelled at how cool the CD art was, listened to the CD twice and put it away. I haven't listened to it since and don't really want to. If I'm in the mood for Tool, I will listen to Aenima or Undertow.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Aenima is godlike

everything since is a watered down wannabe.

i'd hate to say it's because of Justin, but when he joined really is when it all changed.
  • I am a Tool fan.
    I find that every album is better than the previous...yes...that means I believe 10000 days was their best album...perhaps I felt that because it was new...all of their albums are great.
    I recognize that much of their music sounds similar. Most bands do. PJ is an exception. The fact that much of their music sounds alike does not make them a bad band...lets review a few who are guilty of the same...
    RHCP
    Tom Petty
    Aerosmith
    REM
    ACDC
    I still like all of these bands. It is called a niche...their "sound." If you listen to Maynard's other collaborations, you will see he diversifies with those side projects, and yeah, keeps the "tool sound" for tool production and its fans.

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • What does Maynard have to do with Tool's sound?

He's just the singer.
  • What does Maynard have to do with Tool's sound?

He's just the singer.

I don't really know what to say to this...I mean...frontmen set the style of the band. He writes the bulk of the lyrics and the sets the tone for each of the songs. Do you think many write the music first and then the lyrics (yes...I know some do)...typically one write music with a particular rhythm in mind then writes/develops the music...so, I would have to say his role in the "music" is incredibly significant.

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    I like TOOL, but 10,000 days sucked. It reminded me of a bunch of B-sides from Aenema. Of course, they are no PJ!!!!

I have heard they have an album out this year though.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • It's hard to say. I think it depends on Maynard. I think his voice might be shot...after seeing them 3 times on the 10,000 Days tour, it really seemed like he was struggling to sing Tool songs.

I definitely don't think 10,000 Days sucked, but I don't think it exceeded Lateralus. So they may or may not be all done. If they are, that'd be cool with me because I really want to see what Adam could do musically with another project. I think Adam's artistry and sound is what really draws me to Tool.
  • Do you think many write the music first and then the lyrics (yes...I know some do)...
    Actually, Tool does do this. Maynard has addressed this in an interview I watched a while ago. He talked about being more of a "reactive" artist...meaning that the songs are mostly written before he gives his input as far as lyrics/tone go.

Yeah, he's the frontman, but Tool is a very democratic band...the creativity comes from all the members in a fairly balanced way I think.
    Saturnal wrote:
    It's hard to say. I think it depends on Maynard. I think his voice might be shot...after seeing them 3 times on the 10,000 Days tour, it really seemed like he was struggling to sing Tool songs.

I definitely don't think 10,000 Days sucked, but I don't think it exceeded Lateralus. So they may or may not be all done. If they are, that'd be cool with me because I really want to see what Adam could do musically with another project. I think Adam's artistry and sound is what really draws me to Tool.
    That may be a better to look at it, 10,000 days not exceeding not only Laturalus but Aenema either. IMO, Undertow was better than Opiate, Aenema was better than Undertow and Lateralus was better that Aenema. 10,000 days, was very average and like I said, I felt like I was hearing unreleased songs from 97.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • dirtyT wrote:
    That may be a better to look at it, 10,000 days not exceeding not only Laturalus but Aenema either. IMO, Undertow was better than Opiate, Aenema was better than Undertow and Lateralus was better that Aenema. 10,000 days, was very average and like I said, I felt like I was hearing unreleased songs from 97.
    Yea, I was disappointed in general with 10,000 Days even though Rosetta Stoned is one of my favorite songs they've ever done. But it definitely does not compare to Lat or Aenima.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    I didnt like 10,000 days when it came out, but i think its fantastic now and i dont get why it gets so much criticism. I dont think Tool are done at all, i'm expecting another album in another couple of years. Fantastic group, i love all their work, Reflection off Lateralus is one of the best pieces of music i've ever heard
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    As I said, i have heard they have an album out this year. Anyone esle hear this?
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    they should have saved lateralus for later haha cos they'll never be able to top that album
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
    hodge wrote:
    they should have saved lateralus for later haha cos they'll never be able to top that album
    agreed!
  • I don't really know what to say to this...I mean...frontmen set the style of the band. He writes the bulk of the lyrics and the sets the tone for each of the songs. Do you think many write the music first and then the lyrics (yes...I know some do)...typically one write music with a particular rhythm in mind then writes/develops the music...so, I would have to say his role in the "music" is incredibly significant.

Regardless of whether he writes a joke song, or a song that is serious, Tool's sound stays constant.

Adam Jones is a one trick pony, just like Angus Young or Tom Morello.
  • PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    Maynard stated about 3 or 4 issues ago in Rolling Stone Mag, that they are about to head into the studio pretty soon
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    Wow! I'm kind of surprised Tool doesn't get more respect around here. Considering all the shit music out there I try to embrace bands with integrity regardless if their last album topped the previous one or not. To each his own though... Cheers
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    10, 000 days is actually a pretty good album..its pretty hard to top their previous work, but its still fairly good when you give it a chance.

IMO Tool should call it quits though...their conceptual music and art style isn't "normal" enough to be putting stuff out all the time. Its just too cerebral and artsy. And I think band's should age gracefully and branch out as artists. If they are singing "stinkfist" or "prison sex" when they are well into their late 40's and 50's it'll just seem silly.

Tool as an idea, a concept, and a band has done all it can do I think.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Tool will release another album that sounds EXACTLY like Lateralus and 10,000 Days

...or "they're just a little prick."

open up your ears people. experience tool.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.