Anyone Ever Volunteer at a Festival?

LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
edited January 2008 in Other Music
I was thinking about doing the work/volunteer program for Langerado. Anyone here do this before? Is it really hard work? I want to be able to still enjoy the show, but I'm saving for Bonnaroo.
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    LukinFan wrote:
    I was thinking about doing the work/volunteer program for Langerado. Anyone here do this before? Is it really hard work? I want to be able to still enjoy the show, but I'm saving for Bonnaroo.

Never done it myself, but I talked to some of the volunteers @ Voodoo Festival in October. Apparently, they got a really sweet deal. One day they work the festival in various staff roles. The rest of the weekend they got in free and got a few free drinks on top of that.

Seems like the way to go if you don't mind contributing one of your festival days to the operation.

Man, now you've got me thinking about volunteering @ Langerado too. Let me know if you find out something concrete from them.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • i few friends volunteered at Bonaroo. they seemed to enjoy it, and got to drink the confiscated booze.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Never done it myself, but I talked to some of the volunteers @ Voodoo Festival in October. Apparently, they got a really sweet deal. One day they work the festival in various staff roles. The rest of the weekend they got in free and got a few free drinks on top of that.

Seems like the way to go if you don't mind contributing one of your festival days to the operation.

Man, now you've got me thinking about volunteering @ Langerado too. Let me know if you find out something concrete from them.

I emailed them and I'm waiting to hear back from them, as soon as I do, I'll share the info
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

MrSmith wrote:
    i few friends volunteered at Bonaroo. they seemed to enjoy it, and got to drink the confiscated booze.
    They confiscate the booze????? :( I had no clue. So, I'm assuming that they sell booze at these festivals
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    My friend worked at Reading and I think he's done Glasto, but only talked to him about Reading.

There you have to do one morning shift, one afternoon shift, and one evening shift. All in all they get some leniency and choice but it's not entirely their decision where they're placed obviously.
    He had a pretty good deal hanging around those tripod speaker things. He could see the main stage fine and didn't have to deal with any of the Joe Public. Pimpsqueek. But I did chat to some people in the comedy stage who were bored out of their minds and wanted to see some music, so it really is a bit of a risk.

I'd volunteer if it's a festival I kinda like, but not enough to pay, but if there are a list of definite bands you're dying to see then it's probably not worth it. You could be stationed somewhere where you can't hear any music and miss out on all the bands you want to see.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I looked into it at Greenman last year, they wanted £200 deposit, you had 3 8 hour shifts to do. A supervisor would sign you on and off each shift, then, with that signed piece of paper you could claim your deposit back. Seemed a bit much to me.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    jamie uk wrote:
    I looked into it at Greenman last year, they wanted £200 deposit, you had 3 8 hour shifts to do. A supervisor would sign you on and off each shift, then, with that signed piece of paper you could claim your deposit back. Seemed a bit much to me.
    Yeah same with Reading. It's to prevent people 'volunteering' then bunking off the minute they have their staff permit. It's understandably really, otherwise there'd always be someone who avoided doing the work, making it more hassle for everyone else involved.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
    rhinomagic wrote:

Minimum 18 hours over the weekend and a $10 application fee. That's all that I know right now

http://www.langerado.com/home2.php?id=53#WET
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan wrote:
    They confiscate the booze????? :( I had no clue. So, I'm assuming that they sell booze at these festivals

Festivals I've attended are like a closed-circuit economy. Sealed water containers are just about the only food-substance they'll allow you into the gates with. Everything else (food, alcohol, OTC medicines) would affect their profit margins.

I was fortunate enough to have VIP priviliges @ Voodoo and, man, do they EVER serve booze at these festivals! Good stuff--not the cheap liquors--too.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    LukinFan wrote:
    18 hours minimum

If I knew I wouldn't miss REM for sure, I'd do it. I suppose you get to submit requests for time-slots NOT to work?

Any idea what kind of work they're recruiting for? Counter sales, heavy lifting, trash detail, all of the above?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    rhinomagic wrote:
    If I knew I wouldn't miss REM for sure, I'd do it. I suppose you get to submit requests for time-slots NOT to work?

Any idea what kind of work they're recruiting for? Counter sales, heavy lifting, trash detail, all of the above?

That was one of the questions I asked them in the email- but I'm still waiting to hear from them
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

rhinomagic wrote:

I'm assuming that you're now saying, screw Langerado and hello REM in ATL?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com