Godsmack Name Creation

LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
edited March 2008 in Other Music
So how did Godsmack really get their name? Anyone know for sure?

I had no idea that they started out as a AIC cover band!

From Godsmack's wiki page:

The band's name, according to Merrill in the Smack This! DVD, was stolen from the Alice in Chains' song "God Smack". However, Erna stated in a 1999 interview that "I was making fun of somebody who had a cold sore on his lip and the next day I had one myself and somebody said, 'It's a godsmack.' The name stuck. We were aware of the Alice in Chains song but didn't really think much about it. It's a cool song and the name had meaning for us".
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    of course they got it from the AIC song, there was never such a word as that (as far as I'm aware) before the AIC song.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    MLC2006 wrote:
    of course they got it from the AIC song, there was never such a word as that (as far as I'm aware) before the AIC song.
    so you don't buy the cold sore story. I heard something similar from a co-worker, but it was a zit
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    LukinFan wrote:
    so you don't buy the cold sore story. I heard something similar from a co-worker, but it was a zit

no, never heard that one. I did read one of the Godsmack members one time try to say that the name came from them joking around with each other and one of them saying, "you better be carefull or God'll smack you down" and then the other member said, "hey, 'Godsmack', that would be a cool band name". complete bullshit. "smack" is a slang word for heroin. and I suppose the song "God Smack" is about some extremely good heroin that Layne Staley got hold of. for the members of Godsmack to say that they came up with that term independently, yet readily admitting that they are fans of AIC, and they even sound at times like AIC, that's just a bald faced lie.

btw, I have no problem with them naming their band "Godsmack", I just think they should admit the true origin of the name and stop bullshitting.
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    Do like I told you...Stay away from me!!!
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    The band is a complete Alice in Chains rip off if you ask me.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    MLC2006 wrote:
    btw, I have no problem with them naming their band "Godsmack", I just think they should admit the true origin of the name and stop bullshitting.

I'm not a fan but I believe the singer have said many times that Layne is one of his influences and the band got the name from AIC.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    The band is a complete Alice in Chains rip off if you ask me.
    Yup...they even released a moody-acoustic EP...not sure if it debut it #1 like Layne & Co. did. :p
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    terrible band, i do believe eddie is referring to bands especially like this one in his song about layne
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Banana-RamaBanana-Rama Posts: 108
    Didn't Godsmack start out as an AiC cover band?
    "If you should die before me, ask if you could bring a friend" - STP

"Frugality without creativity is deprivation." - Amy Dacyczyn

Proud Supporter of the CAROLINA HURRICANES. GO CANES GO!!!
  • they rip off their shit from AIC and then they came up with a clever story to hide it. fine. whatever.

But everyone really knows the truth don't they. Take things at face value.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • You mean they didn't get it from Moe on the Simpsons when he said the "Christ Punchers?" so disappointing... oh well, Dibs!
    9/4/05 Calgary
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i actually happen to like godsmack.not too original but they know what they're doing. but yea they are sooo aic influenced. i even noticed they have a song on their 'faceless' album called 'I am' and the riff pattern is kind of similar to 'God Am' by aic. also, listen to 'touche' on their little acoustic ep. the guy singing with them sounds EXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACTLY like layne. i forgot what band he's from, but he sings with godsmack there. it's actually great though.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    i actually happen to like godsmack.not too original but they know what they're doing. but yea they are sooo aic influenced. i even noticed they have a song on their 'faceless' album called 'I am' and the riff pattern is kind of similar to 'God Am' by aic. also, listen to 'touche' on their little acoustic ep. the guy singing with them sounds EXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACTLY like layne. i forgot what band he's from, but he sings with godsmack there. it's actually great though.
    An album named Faceless.....doesn't AIC have an album named Facelift? :rolleyes:

There's a difference between influence and theft.

Oh and their cover of Good Times Bad Times isn't that good (I hear it all day on the radio). It's only okay.

EDIT: Not a call out to you DF38, just noticed their album title among other "influenced" things about this band.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    danny72688 wrote:
    An album named Faceless.....doesn't AIC have an album named Facelift? :rolleyes:

There's a difference between influence and theft.

Oh and their cover of Good Times Bad Times isn't that good (I hear it all day on the radio). It's only okay.

EDIT: Not a call out to you DF38, just noticed their album title among other "influenced" things about this band.

ok, ok, so they steal alot. i'm not a fan per-say i just think they're pretty good. even if it's unoriginal, its very listenable. aic however, is amazing and is my third favorite band. godsmack doesnt amount to jerry's shit.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    ok, ok, so they steal alot. i'm not a fan per-say i just think they're pretty good. even if it's unoriginal, its very listenable. aic however, is amazing and is my third favorite band. godsmack doesnt amount to jerry's shit.
    I've seen them live and they did put on a good show I'll admit. I used to like them. A lot. But over the years I got into AIC and started discovering all these too-close-to-be-similarities (in my view). It's hard to listen to them as a serious band. I can see why people like them though. They have a good sound (even if it's not theirs ;)).

I like Voodoo a lot.
    But I like Long Gone Day more.