Ben Harper Champ or chump ?

HerboHerbo Posts: 63
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I cant stand Ben Harper. Awesome slide guitarist, but cant sing to save himself.

He has made a total shemozzle of indifference.

Ed, PLEASE... no more Ben.
Take a bottle drink it down..... pass it around !
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tobbactobbac Posts: 234
    i havent listened to any ben for years either.....but his first 2 albums i think it is were good.....
    You ain't-never seen no one like me
    Prevail-regardless what the cost might be
    Power-flows inside of me, you can't bring me
    Never-fall as long as I try
    Refuse-to be a part of your lie
    Even-if it means I die, you can't bring me
    You...can't...bring...me...down!
  • I'll admitt he does sometimes try too hard to sing like Bob Marley--at least I think so anyway. I'm not a huge fan but I love the album Fight For Your Mind. I thought he was pretty good when PJ brought him out to help sing his tuen "with my two hands" at ny on the Daughter tag.
    What?!? No, We can't stop here, this is bat country.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    he's good, but inconsistent. i admire his willingness to expand his sound and experiment, but sometimes i wish he'd be a little more... i dont know... playing to his strengths.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    okay...so "diamonds..." was not my fav. album, but holy crap i love this man!!

my opinion...but, he is amazingly talented and i love to hear him play live. i almost crave it :) imo...he offers something that noone else is able to musically. there is so much passion in his voice...i just can't deny it!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    I have the Ben Harper Hollywood Bowl DVD, as well as the Blind Boys/Ben Harper Live at the Apollo DVD. His voice isn't very good on the Bowl DVD, but it is AMAZING on the Apollo DVD. I wonder what gives?
  • champ, fuckers.
    Matt and I are friends.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    i dont understand what the problem is. His voice is amazing people! Its so soothing. I dont think he is trying to hard. He is great. I saw him in Berkeley last year and it was incredible. He was going Hendrix on us at that concert. it was insane.

It takes guts to refuse to be defined and labeled and refuse to stick to rock music or reggae or hip hop. His influences show and they are from different genres.
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    His newest double album is stellar.
    I met him at a hotel I worked at a few years ago before I was into his music. Just a genuinley amazing guy. Really polite and treated me like he knew me forever....even after I dropped his guitar...oops!
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I think his voice is fine, but I listen to him for his guitar playing. Awesome guitarist.
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    Chump
  • Can't wait to see him at Lolla, it will be the first time. Missed his show with Jack Johnson at Calvin FAC (Grand Rapids, MI) and have regretted it ever since.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Ben Harper is fucking amazing. period.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    my2hands wrote:
    Ben Harper is fucking amazing. period.
    Completely agree.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08