Why John Mayer needs more recognition from true music fans.

ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Saw John Mayer Jul 3rd in St. Louis. One of the best shows I have ever been to.
Great set, great show. This guy is going places and he understands the importance of great blues. Clapton sees it, now if only his fan base can become more true music fans and less teens and soccer moms I believe he will become a legend.

BTW- I am not trying to say that teens and soccer moms can't be true music fans, just unfairly using them as an example.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• evenflow524evenflow524 Posts: 128
    I agree, saw him at UMass a year or two ago on the Continuum tour and he was amazing. And it was cool that he doesnt even play the crappy pop songs like Daughters even though he won a Grammy for it. But he's def an amazing guitarist in the light of Clappton, Guy etc. Nice to see that style of blues can be semi-mainstream and not bannished to the back of record shops. His new Where The Light Is dvd is an amazing display of his chops. esp the Trio section def check it out.
    5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
  • But his songwriting sucks.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    He's an amazing guitar player, but he should stop writing cookie-cutter made for Adult Contempory radio singles and then he would gain some more respect from "true" music fans.
  • .....one of the best Blues Guitarists of our time (John Mayer Trio is the shit)

just ask Eric Clapton he'll tell you about John

some friends of mine met him and they said he's cool as shit
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • check out his new dvd...it's amazing
  • mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    A friend of mine picked up Where The Light Is, and it's fantastic. I saw him when he played the Conan O'Brien show in Chicago with the trio.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Great set, great show. This guy is going places and he understands the importance of great blues. Clapton sees it, now if only his fan base can become more true music fans and less teens and soccer moms I believe he will become a legend.

BTW- I am not trying to say that teens and soccer moms can't be true music fans, just unfairly using them as an example.
    I guess it's just that "true fans of music" listen to real blues when they want blues, not whiteboy frat-blues :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I guess it's just that "true fans of music" listen to real blues when they want blues, not whiteboy frat-blues :)

Here's the problem, though. What if the "whiteboy frat" guy can play the daylights out of the guitar? Is being an old black guy from the Delta prerequisite for playing quality blues music? And the classification "frat-blues" is also perhaps not quite adequate. I get the distinct impression that Mayer plays what he feels, at least in concert and from what I've heard of the Try! cd. I hear true emotion and true talent forcing its way up through the cookie-cutter stuff.

I picked up Continuum and yeah, it's polished, but the substance is much more in evidence than the earlier stuff that I've heard. I, for one, think that it's pretty cool to see a guitarist grow as he encounter the legends, either through listening to them or playing with them, as Mayer has done with Buddy Guy and Clapton, among others.

After all, if freakin' Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton are willing to give the guy some space on stage with them, who are we to hold up our noses? To each his own, I suppose...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    wcsmith wrote:
    Here's the problem, though. What if the "whiteboy frat" guy can play the daylights out of the guitar? Is being an old black guy from the Delta prerequisite for playing quality blues music? And the classification "frat-blues" is also perhaps not quite adequate. I get the distinct impression that Mayer plays what he feels, at least in concert and from what I've heard of the Try! cd. I hear true emotion and true talent forcing its way up through the cookie-cutter stuff.

I picked up Continuum and yeah, it's polished, but the substance is much more in evidence than the earlier stuff that I've heard. I, for one, think that it's pretty cool to see a guitarist grow as he encounter the legends, either through listening to them or playing with them, as Mayer has done with Buddy Guy and Clapton, among others.

After all, if freakin' Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton are willing to give the guy some space on stage with them, who are we to hold up our noses? To each his own, I suppose...
    I'm not disputing Mayer's skill with a guitar, I just find his music fundamentally dull, polished and of dubious sincerity. It's not what I look for in the blues. I don't mind if anyone else does it's just that when someone asks why "real fans of music" don't like him, I'm inclined to jump to those reasons. Not that I'm any more a "real fan of music" than anyone else. It's just, for me, the blues isn't just a sound. It isn't running through some licks that Mayer learned from Clapton (who I also dislike) with precision and skill, it isn't even "feeling it", it's conveying that meaning to the listeners and, for me personally, Mayer and his ilk say NOTHING to me. Clapton neither.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I'm not disputing Mayer's skill with a guitar, I just find his music fundamentally dull, polished and of dubious sincerity. It's not what I look for in the blues. I don't mind if anyone else does it's just that when someone asks why "real fans of music" don't like him, I'm inclined to jump to those reasons. Not that I'm any more a "real fan of music" than anyone else. It's just, for me, the blues isn't just a sound. It isn't running through some licks that Mayer learned from Clapton (who I also dislike) with precision and skill, it isn't even "feeling it", it's conveying that meaning to the listeners and, for me personally, Mayer and his ilk say NOTHING to me. Clapton neither.

Fair enough
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    This has been a cool tour because (much like PJ), he's not promoting an album, so he's been able to incorporate some cool covers, rarities, etc.

John's always been talented (I've been friends with him since we were 12 years old), but I think he's really matured musically and lyrically. I've heard a few new cuts for his new album '09 and they're pretty heavy.

I'm excited to finally see some shows though....I'll be at Jones Beach, Philly (Camden) and PNC in the next week.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854

yeah he can play..but his voice sounds like Dave Matthews with downs syndrome.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Actually, the blues is my favorite kind of music, and my ear can be rather discriminating. I also listen to Robert Johnson, Peter Green, Son House, Ledbelly, Clapton, Muddy Waters,Robert B Jones, BB King, Otis Rush, etc. and I think Mayer is a means blues guy too. I don't know and don't give a shit if he was ever in a frat, he knows the blues. ;)
  • ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    it isn't even "feeling it", it's conveying that meaning to the listeners and, for me personally, Mayer and his ilk say NOTHING to me. Clapton neither.

Have you seen this dude play blues? I haven't seen a guy look like he is in that much pain while playing a guitar since Neil Young.
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    When I saw him live...I could not believe how good he was....Full of confidence....With alot of really good support.....Can't wait to see him in Aug....

If you need to start with something try..... "TRY" - John Mayer Trio

Pino and Steve help out but John shines!!
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

you don't like clapton??

i've never heard anyone say that before...

that's just weird!

as far as jm goes i saw him last week with 16,000 other fans...it was F-I-N-E :)
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Every Day I have the Blues - John Mayer Trio

http://youtube.com/watch?v=weYO0v4wG44
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
    augustwest wrote:
    you don't like clapton??

i've never heard anyone say that before...

that's just weird!

as far as jm goes i saw him last week with 16,000 other fans...it was F-I-N-E :)
    What's weird about it? I don't mind if anyone else does like him, that's their prerogative but I don't personally understand it. Unbelievably bland playing and worse songwriting. He has a cache of terrific songs that I could count on two hands but is largely dull and almost entirely irrelevant nowadays. His original appeal was as an innovator but his shtick has been done better by his imitators for decades and his innovations aren't as plentiful as some would have everyone believe. His career now seems devoted to making album after album of glossy blues-pop for adult-contemporary fans who like to present themselves as liking "rootsy" music.

I basically find his music soulless, safe and totally unnecessary. His playing is nice but lacks vitality. His greatest asset, in my opinion, is his voice. The singing on Layla and Tears in Heaven is far more worthy of praise than the guitar playing. Layla is also the only song of his that I consider particularly worthy of its status in the canon of "classic" songs.

Of course, this is all just my opinion but I don't see why it's "weird" for me to say this. It seems to me like all of the reasons I dislike Clapton are things that anyone can see but his fans seem willing to overlook or embrace. It's just not for me. When I want "rootsy" blues, I'll listen to Leadbelly or Blind Willie Johnson. When I want blues-rock, Hendrix makes Clapton look like a little kid who just learned the pentatonic scale. This board seems pretty fond of "sacred cows" when it comes to music. I have none. If Clapton made an album that blew my mind, I'd admit it. He just never has.
  • julienovajulienova Posts: 118
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    What's weird about it? I don't mind if anyone else does like him, that's their prerogative but I don't personally understand it. Unbelievably bland playing and worse songwriting. He has a cache of terrific songs that I could count on two hands but is largely dull and almost entirely irrelevant nowadays. His original appeal was as an innovator but his shtick has been done better by his imitators for decades and his innovations aren't as plentiful as some would have everyone believe. His career now seems devoted to making album after album of glossy blues-pop for adult-contemporary fans who like to present themselves as liking "rootsy" music.

I basically find his music soulless, safe and totally unnecessary. His playing is nice but lacks vitality. His greatest asset, in my opinion, is his voice. The singing on Layla and Tears in Heaven is far more worthy of praise than the guitar playing. Layla is also the only song of his that I consider particularly worthy of its status in the canon of "classic" songs.

Of course, this is all just my opinion but I don't see why it's "weird" for me to say this. It seems to me like all of the reasons I dislike Clapton are things that anyone can see but his fans seem willing to overlook or embrace. It's just not for me. When I want "rootsy" blues, I'll listen to Leadbelly or Blind Willie Johnson. When I want blues-rock, Hendrix makes Clapton look like a little kid who just learned the pentatonic scale. This board seems pretty fond of "sacred cows" when it comes to music. I have none. If Clapton made an album that blew my mind, I'd admit it. He just never has.

LMFAO, I thought you were talking about John Mayer when I first read this. I'm like, man, that is really, really harsh
  • IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 671
    It's all those faces he makes, I can't watch him and enjoy the music because his face looks like he's trying to take a really painful shit. That is why him and Jessica Simpson made such a good couple, they both look silly when they sing.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

I agree with this. I like Clapton but I really don't find his music all that inspiring. well, his stuff with Cream is pretty great. and he's a great guitar player, but other than straight playing the blues, he doesn't do anything noteworthy. Where's the experimentation that guys like Hendrix, Page, Zappa, and Gilmour were doing in the 60's and 70's? Like you've said, "His playing is nice but lacks vitality."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 782
    CM1847 wrote:
    He's an amazing guitar player, but he should stop writing cookie-cutter made for Adult Contempory radio singles and then he would gain some more respect from "true" music fans.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head!

q