The Hold Steady

augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I'm wondering if anyone has seen this band and if they can tell me if they liked them, or? I just listened to the Boys and Girls in America" cd and actually thought it was pretty damn good.

http://www.theholdsteady.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I love that album as well. I haven't seen them live yet (will at Lolla for sure), but a friend of mine saw them a few months ago and said they put on a really fun show.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i've got that same cd and i really like it... they are kinda hyped over here at the minute but thats mainly based on there live shows which are apparently amazing.

very american sounding... kinda band you'd hear in a bar in Michigan or something... thats why i liked it so much
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Boys and Grils in America is a great album. It recalls classic Springsteen without being just a ripoff or imitation of it. And it rocks.
  • StellyStelly Posts: 170
    I saw these guys a few months back, and they were terrific live. I haven't had that much fun at a concert in a while. Great show!
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    I saw these guys at the Sasquatch festival last weekend and they were really, really good. Definitely one of the best acts I saw all weekend - lots of energy, and they sounded great. I met Craig Finn afterwards at the PBR stand, too :D

Really looking forward to seeing them again at Lolla!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    the only downside of their liveshow is trying to figure out what the fuck craig is shouting between lyrics :D trust me, when you see them, you'll get it. they are GREAT live!
  • Saw them back in October in a little bar, they were amazing live.
    Not sure how they would translate to a big venue or on the festival circuit, but as far as a bar band goes, they were one of the best I've seen.
  • They are good.

But like wolfmother is to sabbath\ACDC,
    The Steady really dig deep in to some Bruce and a bit of The Tragically Hip, me thinks.

Favorite song is actualy "banging camp"

:)

I turned my buddy on to them, and he bought ALL their CDs (3? plus a live CD) ...

If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I heard them first on Jools holland and was very impressed with them and they also take big infleunce from Bruce springstein. I got Separation sunday today . I haven't listened to it yet
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Awesome. Thanks for the tips/replies/posts.

Sounds like I should spend the "small" money and go check them out live....It's in a bar and it's GA so no reason why not to go!

I'm unsure as to the next cd I should buy:
    Live at Fingerprints appears to be a 2007 release
    OR
    Seperation Sunday-2005 studio release

I really like Boy&Girls so I'm wondering if Seperation Sunday is like that cd, as far as being UPbeat goes...or perhaps the live 2007 cd might be a better buy, to prepare for the upcoming live show...I dunno...if a bunch of Seperation Sunday songs are on the live cd then it might be better to get the live one...the live cd is probably a better indication as to where they are NOW...so I think I just answered my own inquiry! lol. Any input would help. Is Seperation Sunday a MUST BUY? cause I only wanna buy one cd, of the two.
    If Seperation Sunday is a sleeper then I can do without that(I like to RAWK)

As far as the Bruce relationship goes if I didn't know that going in I would not have drawn that correlation at all.
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    I am a fan of all their cds.

One thing..the band LOOOOOVES to booze during their shows so they can be hit more miss. More hit honestly but sloppy on occasion. You'll love em live.
  • augustwest wrote:
    Awesome. Thanks for the tips/replies/posts.

Sounds like I should spend the "small" money and go check them out live....It's in a bar and it's GA so no reason why not to go!

I'm unsure as to the next cd I should buy:
    Live at Fingerprints appears to be a 2007 release
    OR
    Seperation Sunday-2005 studio release

I really like Boy&Girls so I'm wondering if Seperation Sunday is like that cd, as far as being UPbeat goes...or perhaps the live 2007 cd might be a better buy, to prepare for the upcoming live show...I dunno...if a bunch of Seperation Sunday songs are on the live cd then it might be better to get the live one...the live cd is probably a better indication as to where they are NOW...so I think I just answered my own inquiry! lol. Any input would help. Is Seperation Sunday a MUST BUY? cause I only wanna buy one cd, of the two.
    If Seperation Sunday is a sleeper then I can do without that(I like to RAWK)

As far as the Bruce relationship goes if I didn't know that going in I would not have drawn that correlation at all.

Seperation Sunday is good ... it's got BANGING CAMP on it!
    But the CD as a whole is not as good as Boys & Girls ...
    The live CD is very short.
    I think it's only 4 or 5 songs.
    :(

I was trying to get up to that brewery in PA to check them out.
    Either that or my buddy is trying to get me to Bonaroo.

If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?