The Beatles..... Revolver vs. Rubber Soul

TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
edited September 2007 in Other Music
There was another thread about the Beatles and it got me thinking...

Which one of these albums is better? I can't decide!!
Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I got to say Rubber soul for me. Honestly, this was the first Beatles record as a whole I remember absorbing. As a little kid, I'd listen to the LP on my little pice of crap fisher price record player (remember those?, LOL). I used to listen to Norwegian wood over and over and over. The whole album is truly a masterpiece. weird thing is, when I upgraded this album to cd, I was surprised to find that "It's only love" wasn't the first song. It was " Baby, you can drive my car." Apparently, there were two versions released, and I have "it's only love and "I've just seen a face" on the "Help" beatles movie soundtrack.
    God this thread brings back the start of my love for rock and roll. LOL!

"Revolver" isn't bad, just don't have the connection to it, that I got with "Rubber soul."
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • UK and US releases were different, right up until Sgt Pepper.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Trailer wrote:
    There was another thread about the Beatles and it got me thinking...

Which one of these albums is better? I can't decide!!

i cant decide either. though just maybe because of the mere presence of norwegian wood and run for your life, rubber soul. but then again, revolver's got and your bird can sing and eleanor rigby.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Revolver
  • Let's see......

Drive My car/Taxman - Got to give it to taxman, a harrison masterpiece, and great guitar solo.

Norwegian Wood/Eleanor Rigby - Norwegian wood takes this one, but it's very close

You won't see me/I'm Only Sleeping - Hard to beat lennon, and I'm only sleeping is one of his best

Nowhere man/Love you To - Wow....can't decide on this one. Draw.

Think For Yourself/Here.... - HTE by a mile. McCartney hit the mark with this song, without being too sugary. One of the first mature beatles love songs.

The word/ Yellow Submarine - No contest. The word.

Michelle/ She Said - they make it very hard to decide, but I would have to pick She Said....Kinda has the Rain vibe going for it.

What goes on/Good day sunshine - I dare anyone to put on good day sunshine and have a bad day....it's just that good.

Girl/And your bird can sing - Again, can't decide....would depend on my mood with these 2.

I'm looking through you/For no one - For no one, again another song that McCartney wrote that was way beyond his years.

In My Life/Dr. Robert - In my life, easily. Dr. Robert seemed like a b-side that should have been left off revolver.

wait/i want to tell you - wait has a cool guitar through it, but revolver was harrison's coming out party, so got to give it to him.

If I neeed someone/Into My Life - got to love a song about LSD. Got to get you into My life takes it here.

Run for your life/Tomorrow Never Knows - Both great ways to end a record, but how can you beat tomorrow never knows? even though run for your life has great lyrics which i'm sure would have caused some issues back then.

Rubber Soul 3/14
    Revolver 9/14
    2 Ties.

They are both solid records, but I think revolver's second half(after yellow submarine) is too strong, and the record that they really shed their former image. And they decided to release Day Tripper, We Can Work it Out, Rain and Paperback Writer in this time as well. Considering they were released a year of each other can you imagine if it was a double record?
  • SlowFade wrote:
    Let's see......

Drive My car/Taxman - Got to give it to taxman, a harrison masterpiece, and great guitar solo.

Norwegian Wood/Eleanor Rigby - Norwegian wood takes this one, but it's very close

You won't see me/I'm Only Sleeping - Hard to beat lennon, and I'm only sleeping is one of his best

Nowhere man/Love you To - Wow....can't decide on this one. Draw.

Think For Yourself/Here.... - HTE by a mile. McCartney hit the mark with this song, without being too sugary. One of the first mature beatles love songs.

The word/ Yellow Submarine - No contest. The word.

Michelle/ She Said - they make it very hard to decide, but I would have to pick She Said....Kinda has the Rain vibe going for it.

What goes on/Good day sunshine - I dare anyone to put on good day sunshine and have a bad day....it's just that good.

Girl/And your bird can sing - Again, can't decide....would depend on my mood with these 2.

I'm looking through you/For no one - For no one, again another song that McCartney wrote that was way beyond his years.

In My Life/Dr. Robert - In my life, easily. Dr. Robert seemed like a b-side that should have been left off revolver.

wait/i want to tell you - wait has a cool guitar through it, but revolver was harrison's coming out party, so got to give it to him.

If I neeed someone/Into My Life - got to love a song about LSD. Got to get you into My life takes it here.

Run for your life/Tomorrow Never Knows - Both great ways to end a record, but how can you beat tomorrow never knows? even though run for your life has great lyrics which i'm sure would have caused some issues back then.

Rubber Soul 3/14
    Revolver 9/14
    2 Ties.

They are both solid records, but I think revolver's second half(after yellow submarine) is too strong, and the record that they really shed their former image. And they decided to release Day Tripper, We Can Work it Out, Rain and Paperback Writer in this time as well. Considering they were released a year of each other can you imagine if it was a double record?

That's what I wanted to say, but was too lazy to post it. I have listened to Rubber Soul a few times compared to the hundreds of times I have listened to Revolver.
  • overall...rubber soul. good groove to it, and classic harmonies.

revolver has more 'impact' songs on it for me though (in my life, i'm only sleeping)
    I love to turn you on