they have insulted billy corgan in a realy nasty way
and without a reason ...
warner is distributing zeitgeist and not billy
so die paul thompson from pitchfork
and burn in hell forever
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    well i'm not familiar with the corgan issue but pitchfork is without a doubt a steaming pile of shit.

pretentious hippies the bunch of them. they don't know their dick from their ass, i can go on but they're just not worth the effort
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    i have to assume they are bitching about the 4 different track listings they are sending out.

Funny how no one bitched when QOTSA did it? It is the same thing. I don't see the big deal and i bet many other bands will do this soon too.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Ali babaAli baba Posts: 36
    intodeep wrote:
    i have to assume they are bitching about the 4 different track listings they are sending out.

Funny how no one bitched when QOTSA did it? It is the same thing. I don't see the big deal and i bet many other bands will do this soon too.

yesss!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    hrmm.. PitchFork is dead on.. (not that i'm a pumpkins fan, i think the suck hardcore)...but look how the pumpkins are fucking fans.. releasing 4 different versions, and you gotta buy 3 of the 4 to get all the songs...
    Pitchfork wrote:
    Well, that's the nail in the coffin, then. Just when we were slightly, slightly starting to care about the Smashing Pumpkins again-- what with the release of their long-awaited new album Zeitgeist, and its not-terrible first single, "Tarantula"-- here comes something that makes us more than a bit mellon collie.

Billy and company would like you to know that they fully support the extinction of the American independent record store at the hand of large, faceless, little-guy-crushing big boxes. They also support bleeding their fans dry. How? By releasing FOUR different versions of Zeitgeist.

Best Buy and Target each get a version with an exclusive bonus track. So does iTunes. Like, a different one for each. Everybody else gets the regular version with no bonus tracks. So if you want all of the bonus tracks, you have to buy an album at Best Buy, an album at Target, and an album at iTunes. (Ooh, the presale iTunes version also comes with an extra set of Smashing Pumpkins covers by the Bravery, the Academy Is..., Panic at the Disco, Test Your Reflex, and +44. Ooh.)

Making fans who've been waiting the better part of a decade for new Smashing Pumpkins tunes buy an album several times over is, you know, bullshit. My god, you have to go to Target (and only Target!) to get the version with the title track! That just ain't right.
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • I think it's sort of a ridiculous idea...I'd be pissed if Pearl Jam would do this.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    oppie1 wrote:
    hrmm.. PitchFork is dead on.. (not that i'm a pumpkins fan, i think the suck hardcore)...but look how the pumpkins are fucking fans.. releasing 4 different versions, and you gotta buy 3 of the 4 to get all the songs...

pitchfork is dead on what???
    you buy 1 album and the rest of the songs you download
    nobody is that dumb to buy 4 albums!!!
    smashing pumpkins dont have anything to do with that
    warner - decided to do it
    so fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk
    pitchfork
    i love rock chicks
  • GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    It sound to me like they're ripping on SP for not adding any bonuses to the discs sold at indy stores. Queens did have a bonus for this album sold at indy stores only.
    GoBucky wrote:
    It sound to me like they're ripping on SP for not adding any bonuses to the discs sold at indy stores. Queens did have a bonus for this album sold at indy stores only.

well ...
    indie stores?
    that isnt realy important...
    and pumpkins dont have anything to do with that
    i love rock chicks
  • GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    sasoj wrote:
    well ...
    indie stores?
    that isnt realy important...
    and pumpkins dont have anything to do with that

Indy stores aren't important?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Oh i read the article their beef is not as much that they are doing it but that they ignored the indie stores. Many bands who have done this recently have made the exclusive track availble for indie stores.

I agree that they should have made one of the bonus discs availble at indie stores only.

I don't think it is as big of a deal as they are making it out to be though. It is a marketing plan to create more hype.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I think people need to be informed that this isn't the artists fault. This happens to a lot of new records, a lot of times without the artist having a say, or even knowledge of this. The record company has all the material and is choosing how to sell the b-sides. Instead of selling a single, they add them to various prints of the CD/LP.

After thinking about this, whats the difference in spending 12 pucks for an imported single or spending 12 bucks at a local store to pick up the b-side on the CD/LP?

Here is a quote from Trent Reznor on some issues he is having with his record company:

Posted on [05_13_2007]

As the climate grows more and more desperate for record labels, their answer to their mostly self-inflicted wounds seems to be to screw the consumer over even more. A couple of examples that quickly come to mind:

* The ABSURD retail pricing of Year Zero in Australia. Shame on you, UMG. Year Zero is selling for $34.99 Australian dollars ($29.10 US). No wonder people steal music. Avril Lavigne's record in the same store was $21.99 ($18.21 US).
    By the way, when I asked a label rep about this his response was: "It's because we know you have a real core audience that will pay whatever it costs when you put something out - you know, true fans. It's the pop stuff we have to discount to get people to buy."
    So... I guess as a reward for being a "true fan" you get ripped off.

* The dreaded EURO Maxi-single. Nothing but a consumer rip-off that I've been talked into my whole career. No more.

The point is, I am trying my best to make sure the music and items NIN puts in the marketplace have value, substance and are worth you considering purchasing. I am not allowing Capital G to be repackaged into several configurations that result in you getting ripped off.

We are planning a full-length remix collection of substance that will be announced soon.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    meh.. i am sure i will do what i did with the QOTSA cd.. buy the album, than wait for all the extras are posted. Era Vulgaris started with 11 songs, now its 17!
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    they are "bsides" for a reason.

Also..they will land on a b'sides collection 5 years down the road to get your 15.99 all over again.
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    sasoj wrote:
    you buy 1 album and the rest of the songs you download
    nobody is that dumb to buy 4 albums!!!
    smashing pumpkins dont have anything to do with that
    warner -

There are plenty of dumb people out there who will buy all four or atleast more than one. The reason they did this is so that diehard fans will buy more than one and its not like Billy didn't have some kind of say if they did this or not, he's not innocent here.
    holtz wrote:
    There are plenty of dumb people out there who will buy all four or atleast more than one. The reason they did this is so that diehard fans will buy more than one and its not like Billy didn't have some kind of say if they did this or not, he's not innocent here.

where did you get the info that billy has a say at warner?
    he is just a worker there ...
    record companies are the ones that determine singels, marketing and all the other stuff
    and yes billy has got 3 houses and more money then he needs
    so it is not his fault
    i love rock chicks
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    sasoj wrote:
    where did you get the info?

Its called common sense. If Billy was so against the 4 different tracklistings he would say so.
  • oppie1 wrote:
    you just choose to ignore what people are saying around you?

ITS THE RECORD COMPANY. Corgan didn't do this.

And Corgan does shit like give away the last pumpkins album (Machina II) for fucking free on the internet. And it was fantastic.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    you just choose to ignore what people are saying around you?

ITS THE RECORD COMPANY. Corgan didn't do this. Corgan gave away the last pumpkins album (Machina II) for fucking free. And it was fantastic.
    corgan could speak up to the record company and have a stop put to it... but he just sits back and thinks "hey.. its more money in my pocket for playing with a Pumpkins cover band"
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • oppie1 wrote:
    corgan could speak up to the record company and have a stop put to it... but he just sits back and thinks "hey.. its more money in my pocket for playing with a Pumpkins cover band"
    record companies don't give a fuck dude.

Smashing Pumpkins tickets could sell for hundreds of dollars each this time around (ahem.. rolling stones, who, paul mcCartney...) but they're fucking 20-25 dollars. They're one of the biggest hyped bands of the year and still have dirt poor ticket prices. They're under fucking Pearl Jam.

Corgan not only allows but encourages filming, bootlegging, whatever you wanna do at the shows.

Corgan released Machina II on the internet for free.

This is a guy who just wants people to hear his music and enjoy it.

Record executives are soulless beings who exist to extort people. They're gonna do whatever the hell they want to if it will make them money, and no doubt huge marketing deals with target, itunes, and best buy means they aren't stopping the 4 different releases.

I know you hate Corgan but get your head out of your ass.

"Make our day"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    This whole uproar over the multiple versions of the album is ridiculous, it's easy for anyone to get the extra tracks online - I'm gonna get the version with the free booklet, cause that's the only thing that makes any difference, unless you are really bothered about the colour of the front cover!

And I totally agree, Corgan is one of the only rock stars out there actively embracing the digital age. Bottom line is, if a record is good, people don't mind paying for it. Gone are the days where you can make a record with 3 good singles and a load of filler, cause people can pick and choose exactly what they are prepared to pay for.

Oh, and oppie1, it's entirely someone's choice if they want to go out and buy all the different versions, some bands have put albums out with different covers with NO EXTRAS, at least you get something unique when buying this album.

I might also add, that this multiple version thing has as much to do with the stores that are selling it as it does the record companies, it's no secret that record stores are suffering from the effects of downloading, therefore they are giving people a reason to buy it from them instead of downloading it.
  • EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    Steal the album (all versions) and instead put some money in the band's pocket by seeing them in concert or buying merchandise. Fuck the record companies. I haven't bought an album in years yet my music collection has grown at a ridiculous rate thanks to music blogs and free downloads. Stories like this completely justify my actions.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Pitchfork...
    Pumpkins...
    Corgan...

Already over it.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
    Sawyer wrote:
    Bloc Party did the same thing.....and this Pumpkin's album will suck

well bloc party album realy sucked ...
    but on the other hand bloc party doesnt have jimmychamberlin
    on the drumms and billy on guitar and vocals
    so...you cant compare an NME pushed rookie band like bloc party
    to 20 year veterans that now the biz
    and have talent
    i love rock chicks
  • jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    While I do think it's kind of stupid that the album's TITLE TRACK is only available if you purchase the album at Target, releasing multiple versions doesn't bother me much.

Like many have said on this thread, pick up the version you want, then look for the other tracks online. Or, if you know a couple of other people that are picking it up, try to coordinate everyone picking up a copy at a different store.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    buy the record once at whatever place you want to support....spend the extra 15 minutes that would have been spent listening to bonus tracks searching on the internet for the free downloads of the bonus tracks.

this is the same person who purposely leaked and told fans to spread Machina II across the internet.

This is the same band who is selling their 115 song, rarities and b-sides collection on iTunes for $9.99

If you're not going to complain when things are underpriced, don't complain when they're over priced... if you don't like it; don't buy it.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    While I do think it's kind of stupid that the album's TITLE TRACK is only available if you purchase the album at Target, releasing multiple versions doesn't bother me much.

Like many have said on this thread, pick up the version you want, then look for the other tracks online. Or, if you know a couple of other people that are picking it up, try to coordinate everyone picking up a copy at a different store.

so does this mean you hate Pearl jam if they're withholding songs called ten, vs, no code, vitalogy, etc?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Sawyer wrote:
    Bloc Party did the same thing.....and this Pumpkin's album will suck
    Having heard basically the entire record live I can tell you that you're dead wrong.

"Make our day"