The pumpkins are back!!!!!!!!!!!

MeaninglessMeaningless Posts: 55
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Just got my ticket for the first show since Metro 2000!!!!!!!
Paris Grand Rex May 22th!!! Can't Wait
Is there any smashing geeks aroud here ?

Only 2 US shows !
Europe rocks!!!

Do what you gonna do, say what you gonna say,
Do what you gonna do ... and start to live...
Ed before "leash" around 92
"Actually we could do a commercial for Dodge, Can't Find A Better Van"
E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    if by smashing pumpkins and back you mean billy got his old drummer to join zwan, then yeah... they're back.
  • if by smashing pumpkins and back you mean billy got his old drummer to join zwan, then yeah... they're back.

They're back
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,245
    with out IHA no pumpkins that's how i see it....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    if by smashing pumpkins and back you mean billy got his old drummer to join zwan, then yeah... they're back.

thank you I've been trying to understand the hype and EVERYONE I talk to is just whacking off in the corner over this but I'm like

did you like Zwan?

No

Did you like billy's solo record?

No it sucked

so...
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • FintinFintin Posts: 77
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    thank you I've been trying to understand the hype and EVERYONE I talk to is just whacking off in the corner over this but I'm like

did you like Zwan?

No

Did you like billy's solo record?

No it sucked

so...
    but they're gonna be playing pumpkin songs live :D
    Life is like a Pearl Jam concert.....you never know what you're gonna get
  • pjfanatic4pjfanatic4 Posts: 127

Loved the pumpkins... but I have to agree, it's only 50% pumpkin and 50% added ingredients and spices...
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I don't get why people keep saying this current formation is basically Zwan - they had like 3 other members, and they didn't play Pumpkins songs. As cool as Jame Iha was (and it is a real shame he isn't joining them) Billy was lead song writer and wrote most of the music, so Iha isn't vital to the Pumpkins sound like Billy and Jimmy are.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I don't get why people keep saying this current formation is basically Zwan - they had like 3 other members, and they didn't play Pumpkins songs. As cool as Jame Iha was (and it is a real shame he isn't joining them) Billy was lead song writer and wrote most of the music, so Iha isn't vital to the Pumpkins sound like Billy and Jimmy are.

fair enough but the fact is Billy was the lead song writer in several other projects post SP that have blown ass. So calling it the smashing pumpkins and playing Zero in concert isn't going to stop 'Zeitergest' or whatever the fuck it is called from being a horrible album
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    How many songs did James and D'arcy actually write? 15 tops out of who knows how many. Those two didn't even record on Siamese Dream (arguably their best CD). Billy and Jimmy are the heart of Smashing Pumpkins.

Zwan and Billy solo are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. They are not supposed to be like Smashing Pumpkins. Billy wasn't writing Pumpkins style for those projects.

And stop saying the new Pumpkins are Zwan people. That's like saying Zwan was the old Smashing Pumpkins ;)
    danny72688 wrote:
    How many songs did James and D'arcy actually write? 15 tops out of who knows how many. Those two didn't even record on Siamese Dream (arguably their best CD). Billy and Jimmy are the heart of Smashing Pumpkins.

Zwan and Billy solo are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. They are not supposed to be like Smashing Pumpkins. Billy wasn't writing Pumpkins style for those projects.

And stop saying the new Pumpkins are Zwan people. That's like saying Zwan was the old Smashing Pumpkins ;)
    yeah so what the guitar work at the live show will make a big differnce without the other 2 members is should not be called pumpkins ,how about calling themselves BILLY&JIMMY ........
    yeah so what the guitar work at the live show will make a big differnce without the other 2 members is should not be called pumpkins ,how about calling themselves BILLY&JIMMY ........
    As much as I love James, what was so unique/special about his playing? Very complimentary to Billy, but not like he's the only one who can do it. And D'arcy is easily replaceable.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Fucking hell I swear the current generation have forgotten how to just ENJOY music, they're too busy pulling it to pieces to actually just take it in for what it really is - which is meant to be entertainment.
  • ill be seeing them at reading this year.. not exactly a huge fan but i enjoy their music and should jus be cool
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Im going to 2 European shows,

I wish i could to go Paris, but i have an exam in the morning so i cant really make it
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    I definately want to check out the new record when it comes out......but I think its lame if he calls his band "The Smashing Pumpkins" but only half of the original members are in. It doenst feel right. The Smashing Pumpkins had Iha in their band......not some no name guy.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    Only 2 US shows !
    Europe rocks!!!

Theres more than 2...and I have a feeling, ultimately there will be far more US shows than European.
  • McShadeMcShade Posts: 156
    A couple of days after I found that there was going to be a Pearl Jam show AGAIN in Lisbon, only 9 months after the last one, my boyfriend tells me that the Pumpkins are playing on day 2 of the festival!
    I thought he was just teasing me, but...nope. It was true.

my only regret is that I would prefer that the order was day1 - pumpkins and day 2 - P.Jam (save the best for last), but I really can't complain... :)
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    fair enough but the fact is Billy was the lead song writer in several other projects post SP that have blown ass. So calling it the smashing pumpkins and playing Zero in concert isn't going to stop 'Zeitergest' or whatever the fuck it is called from being a horrible album

C'mon, unless you're a fifth grader i'm pretty sure you know how to say zeitgeist. You don't think Billy was trying some different things w/ his other projects? I think he's gone through a bit of a born-again christian stage and that reflected what he wrote. I'm willing to bet that the same people that are here trashing the new pumpkins will be back here on July 7 saying how great of an album this is and that they're so glad the pumpkins are back. :rolleyes:
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Man, I am so pumped up for this!!!

From: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003574560

April 20, 2007, 3:40 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
    The Smashing Pumpkins have settled on the track list for "Zeitgeist," the first album since 2000. As previously reported, the album is due July 7 via Martha's Music/Reprise. A first single has yet to be specified, nor has the makeup of the band beyond original frontman Billy Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin.

"Is everyone afraid? Has everyone changed?," Corgan sings on opener "Doomsday Clock," a big, loud rocker in the vein of "Geek U.S.A." from "Siamese Dream." The set is frontloaded with songs of this ilk, hearkening back to the grunge era with detuned guitars and pounding drums on tracks such as "Tarantula," "Orchid" and "7 Shades of Black."

A more nuanced, less abrasive approach is evident on "Never Lost," which has vibraphone and organ tucked into the mix, while "For God and Country" is a bass-driven tune with shades of Depeche Mode-style synth-rock. The album closes with the mostly synth-powered "Pomp and Circumstance," as Corgan's multi-tracked vocals take on an angelic effect.

The band will play its first show in six-and-a-half years May 22 at the Grand Rex Theatre in Paris. European festival appearances will follow through mid-June; the Pumpkins' first U.S. show will be July 7 at the Live Earth concert in East Rutherford, N.J.

Here is the track list for "Zeitgeist":

"Doomsday Clock"
    "7 Shades of Black:
    "Orchid"
    "That's the Way"
    "Tarantula"
    "Starz"
    "United States"
    "Never Lost"
    "Bring the Light"
    "Come On (Let's Go)"
    "For God and Country"
    "Pomp and Circumstance"
    Ava17adore wrote:
    "Doomsday Clock," a big, loud rocker in the vein of "Geek U.S.A."
    :)
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    for those on the fence about the reunion, here is something to consider.
    the line up may not be the same, but it hasn't been the same since Darcy bowed out, and, Chamberlain was kicked out for an album and tour, but later was invited back after amends were made. The die hard pumpkin fans will buy tickets regardless, as will the casual fan who doesn't know the history of the band member line up. You are going to see your favorite band play together once again. The second today, cherub rock, 1979,... and more start getting played, an amazing exciting feeling will surge through you. The shows are going to SELL OUT no matter who is in the band,and will give a younger generation of fans the opportunity to see the Pumpkins if they never have before, because of being too young, parents wouldn't take you... whatever. Corgan finally realized what his fans have always known: Pumpkins are greatness... so they are back. Even if the album bombs, the shows will more than make up for it for die hard pumpkins fans. I don't care for the Pumpkins live,but on cd they are awesome).

Just for an example: One of my favorite bands the Toadies get together for some shows every now and then, and they only have two original members. Clark did record 2 studio albums, and the live albums so I'm not sure weather to count him as an official member. The line up was different, but the band was tight, and once Vaden launched into the songs it was an amazing show 2 years in a row. I had a blast. The pumpkin shows will be the same way. You have a chance to hear the classic songs again, just as I did with the Toadies, so take advantage of it.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    danny72688 wrote:

Agreed!!!
    I mean how many band go through countless numbers of musicians through their career. Plus D'Arcy left before Machina came out.

IHA
    Co-wrote: I am one, soma, mayonaise, spaceboy, farewell and goodnight
    Wrote- Take me Down

Am I missing anything here. It's Billy's band. IHA was just lucky to ride Billy's coattails..
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
    Manimal wrote:
    Agreed!!!
    I mean how many band go through countless numbers of musicians through their career. Plus D'Arcy left before Machina came out.

IHA
    Co-wrote: I am one, soma, mayonaise, spaceboy, farewell and goodnight
    Wrote- Take me Down

Am I missing anything here. It's Billy's band. IHA was just lucky to ride Billy's coattails..
    i understand all of this but to me to hear IHA play the leads of all those great songs will be missing , i don't know it will be very different that's just the way i see it .......
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Some of those song titles seem to be veering towards the political, which would be new ground for the Pumpkins and Billy in general...

Kinda not sure how I feel about that (if it is indeed the case) I always really enjoyed that the Pumpkins were almost completely apolitical.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    if it sounds like geek usa, i am happy :)
    i love rock chicks
    i understand all of this but to me to hear IHA play the leads of all those great songs will be missing , i don't know it will be very different that's just the way i see it .......
    There is a rumor that James lied about his participation floating around Pumpkins boards. MTV listed him as a member or something like that. Slip up? I hope :)
  • if by smashing pumpkins and back you mean billy got his old drummer to join zwan, then yeah... they're back.
    + old songs
    + not worrying about differentiating his writing from the Pumpkins' stuff
    + the power that name alone holds for some of us

And I wouldn't discount the possibility of James coming back after he dabbles with his second solo album.. he didn't say 'no', he basically said 'I'm busy'.

Pumpkins are one of the only bands I'd put above Pearl Jam on certain days..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • danny72688 wrote:
    There is a rumor that James lied about his participation floating around Pumpkins boards. MTV listed him as a member or something like that. Slip up? I hope :)
    interesting... o0

I don't think Zwan sucked as much as people say it did.. and his solo album was pretty good.

About the political sounding titles: I remember reading somewhere that Corgan had been moved into that sort of writing in the past few years.. I think.. I dunno if he's ever written (and released) a real 'political' song. Intruiging..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • korbykorby Posts: 298
    has bIlly gone emo? or is he back to rockin alternative metal
    its ok
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    minus 3 yawn
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all