The Mars Volta

KFrost2008KFrost2008 Posts: 36
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Does anyone else listen to them? I absolutely love them. It's such a unique sound, and the music is just fantastic. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez could easily be one of the top 5 guitar players that nobody know about. I would highly recommend them, especially if you like experimental music.
I can kill because in God I trust.

06/24/06-Cincinnati, OH-US Bank Arena
08/05/07-Chicago, IL-Grant Park(Lollapalooza)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    they are amazing. cant wait for their new album, and cedric is such an interesting lyricist. but they suck live except for when they play actual songs and not just a bunch of notes that dont go together.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • KFrost2008KFrost2008 Posts: 36
    I personally like it when they break off into the extended(or in the case of Abortion: The Other White Meat0 or just downright jam sessions. I find it very cool that no two performances will be the same. The Bedlam In Goliath will be awesome I am sure.
    I can kill because in God I trust.

06/24/06-Cincinnati, OH-US Bank Arena
    08/05/07-Chicago, IL-Grant Park(Lollapalooza)
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    I've seen them live three times and they were terrible all three times. However, that being said I'm really starting to get into some of their albums, especially Deloused in the Comatorium. I'd love to see them in a club somewhere instead of an arena. I really don't think they're music is well suited for big venues.
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    Deloused - One of my top 10 favorite records of all time
    Frances - First half great, second half crap
    Amputechture - Not into it at all, it was too much noise

I'd love to see them live though.
  • the mars volta is one of my favorite bands today. de-loused is so great; i can listen to the whole cd straight through, though i can't say i can completely listen to frances the mute and amputechture. i agree that the first half of frances is good; at a certain point, it disintegrates. and amputechture is mostly uncontrolled noise. i have heard that they're a terrible live band; the people i've spoken to cannot comprehend cedric's lyrics and others don't appreciate the band's tendency to break off and launch into distorted noise-jam sessions.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    funkymonk wrote:
    I've seen them live three times and they were terrible all three times.

Why keep going back? I saw them once and it was mind-blowing. IMO one of the best live bands out there.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I've seen them twice and they were amazing both times. There is little middle groud with The Mars Volta. If you don't love them, chances are you will think their live show is "crap". I agree they aren't suited to arenas or as a support band really.

I love De Loused and Frances, though I have never really listened to Amputechture, yet.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    One of my favorite bands. I've seen them live and they were fucking amazing. Can't wait for The Bedlam At Golaith.