Live at Leeds.

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Currently listening to the Deluxe Edition...and I must say, I've never been so thrilled and awe struck by a live CD. The quality for a 1970 concert is fantastic, and the choice of songs from The Who couldn't be anymore perfect. All of Tommy, Can't Explain, a lengthy My Generation which is full of Pete showing off and medleys. Many songs on the setlist were dropped shortly after and never played again, so this CD is a real treat.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• A fair amount of it was edited, or redone in the studio. Still a good album, though.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Have it on vinyl, have yet to listen to it........I guess live albums just arent a top priority for me
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I dislike the mix, too muffled. The mix on the 1995 CD is better but almost all of Tommy is absent.
  • The Deluxe Edition has terrible sound quality. The guy who does remixing and remastering for the Who does horrible work. Audiophiles call him "Ghastly Astley".

There are three versions to have:
    - Original LP/CD
    - Remastered/Expanded CD
    - Complete Bootleg Version (100% live)

Stay away from the deluxe edition at all costs. The vocals during the Tommy portion sound like they were recorded with a tin can and string. This is NOT how the original recording sounds. It's from the poor remastering work.
    JWBusher wrote:
    The Deluxe Edition has terrible sound quality. The guy who does remixing and remastering for the Who does horrible work. Audiophiles call him "Ghastly Astley".

There are three versions to have:
    - Original LP/CD
    - Remastered/Expanded CD
    - Complete Bootleg Version (100% live)

Stay away from the deluxe edition at all costs. The vocals during the Tommy portion sound like they were recorded with a tin can and string. This is NOT how the original recording sounds. It's from the poor remastering work.

Not to mention that there's quite a difference between a 62 year old Daltrey and a 26 year old Daltrey. I wasn't fooled.

Yeah, most of the Who re-issues have bad sound quality (Quadrophenia hurts my ears, WAY TOO BRIGHT!), My Generation and Who's Next sound excellent, the rest sounds like crap-- usually too bright-- or they'll use an inferior guitar, drum track, or they'll use a mono mix when a stereo one is available.

And Ghastley Astley, is believe, is Pete's ex brother in law.
  • ii44 wrote:
    Not to mention that there's quite a difference between a 62 year old Daltrey and a 26 year old Daltrey. I wasn't fooled.

Yeah, most of the Who re-issues have bad sound quality (Quadrophenia hurts my ears, WAY TOO BRIGHT!), My Generation and Who's Next sound excellent, the rest sounds like crap-- usually too bright-- or they'll use an inferior guitar, drum track, or they'll use a mono mix when a stereo one is available.

And Ghastley Astley, is believe, is Pete's ex brother in law.

Yup, but keep in mind that Astley had little to do with the first "batch" of Who resissues (Who Sell Out, Who's Next, Live At Leeds single disc, etc...) At some point, Pete stopped using the people from MCA and gave all of the work to Astley, and that's when things got really bad...his worst Who discs are Odds & Sods, which is badly remixed, extremely bright and compressed...The Kids Are Alright soundtrack, which has so much noise reduction that everything sounds like it's underwater...BBC Sessions, which is not only EQ'd horribly but there are watery noise reduction artifacts galore (I could do a better job with a bootleg and Cool Edit Pro)...the new stereo remix of A Quick One which is the LOUDEST and BRIGHTEST fucking CD I've ever heard...and Live At Leeds Deluxe Edition which is disgusting all around. The sad thing is, Jon Astley has actually won awards for his "pioneering" use of noise reduction! And he continues to get work from other clients, despite the fact that many other mastering engineers and industry insiders loathe his work. (He butchered the Led Zeppelin BBC set, George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" remaster, the Abba remasters, the Judas Priest remasters which are astonishingly bad, and he's also Tori Amos's engineer of choice.)

I've done my own transfers and remasters of many of the Who albums. A mutual friend actually gave CDR copies to Eddie so he could hear the "difference". I'd love to know what he thinks of them.
    JWBusher wrote:
    Yup, but keep in mind that Astley had little to do with the first "batch" of Who resissues (Who Sell Out, Who's Next, Live At Leeds single disc, etc...) At some point, Pete stopped using the people from MCA and gave all of the work to Astley, and that's when things got really bad...his worst Who discs are Odds & Sods, which is badly remixed, extremely bright and compressed...The Kids Are Alright soundtrack, which has so much noise reduction that everything sounds like it's underwater...BBC Sessions, which is not only EQ'd horribly but there are watery noise reduction artifacts galore (I could do a better job with a bootleg and Cool Edit Pro)...the new stereo remix of A Quick One which is the LOUDEST and BRIGHTEST fucking CD I've ever heard...and Live At Leeds Deluxe Edition which is disgusting all around. The sad thing is, Jon Astley has actually won awards for his "pioneering" use of noise reduction! And he continues to get work from other clients, despite the fact that many other mastering engineers and industry insiders loathe his work. (He butchered the Led Zeppelin BBC set, George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" remaster, the Abba remasters, the Judas Priest remasters which are astonishingly bad, and he's also Tori Amos's engineer of choice.)

I've done my own transfers and remasters of many of the Who albums. A mutual friend actually gave CDR copies to Eddie so he could hear the "difference". I'd love to know what he thinks of them.

Not to mention they forgot things on Odds and Sods such as

-The lead guitar track on Under My Thumb
    -One whole fucking channel on Time Is Passing
    -Liner notes that were even 5% accurate

I have no idea wheter my Quick One is the new one or not, but since they look identical I really don't feel like spending $12.99 a pop until I find
    one that is different.
  • ii44 wrote:
    I have no idea wheter my Quick One is the new one or not, but since they look identical I really don't feel like spending $12.99 a pop until I find
    one that is different.

The American one has a sticker on the front that says something like "NEWLY REMIXED IN STEREO" and the UK version has a totally new catalog number. If your copy has the mono "Boris The Spider" then it's the old one. The new one is mostly stereo. The mastering is horrible regardless!
    JWBusher wrote:
    The American one has a sticker on the front that says something like "NEWLY REMIXED IN STEREO" and the UK version has a totally new catalog number. If your copy has the mono "Boris The Spider" then it's the old one. The new one is mostly stereo. The mastering is horrible regardless!

Yeah, it's the mono one, what crap.

I'm going to go borrow the one-disc LaL I gave away when I got the Deluxe one, and I'm going to find my old copy of The Who Sings My Generation that sounds like it was recorded in a metal trashcan underwater.