Eddie has got good taste.

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I checked out the Dead Boys last year and was blown away at how great they are. Really, such a shame they didn't last long enough. Today, I'm watching some old Ten promo, and Eddie is wearing a Cramps shirt. So I decided out of boredom to check them out, and they're also pretty good.

Damn, if only punk wasn't so garbage in the mainstream.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I never cared for much punk but that is cool you have found some bands you enjoy.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    FUGAZI.

According to Eddie, one of his favourite bands. Also one of mine but not because of Ed. He clearly does have good taste though. Check out 13 Songs and Repeater.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • The Cramps are great. Psychobilly is great.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Dogman3 wrote:
    I checked out the Dead Boys last year and was blown away at how great they are. Really, such a shame they didn't last long enough. Today, I'm watching some old Ten promo, and Eddie is wearing a Cramps shirt. So I decided out of boredom to check them out, and they're also pretty good.

My band covered Sonic Reducer just last Friday night at a show. Total blast! I wound up mangling a mic stand and kicking it off the stage. Woo-hoo!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    Dogman3 wrote:

well dead boys sprung from the ashes of rocket from the tomb who have reformed i think....and a second group was created after rftt originally broke up too!!

check out dead moon........whose "it's ok" song pj cover every so often!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
    intodeep wrote:
    I never cared for much punk but that is cool you have found some bands you enjoy.

oh u poor lost soul!!

ramones.........
    new york dolls........
    dead kennedys.......
    mc 5.........
    the stooges........
    stiff little fingers........
    the clash........
    heartbreakers (not petty's!!).........
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    the Avengers "pink" album is really good, too (American in Me)
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Sisters Of Mercy.
    Nice shirt.
    nutmeg81 wrote:
    oh u poor lost soul!!

ramones.........
    new york dolls........
    dead kennedys.......
    mc 5.........
    the stooges........
    stiff little fingers........
    the clash........
    heartbreakers (not petty's!!).........
    Why does everyone always name the same bands when someone mentions punk? The Ramones, while they are worshipped on this site because Eddie loves them, were a pop band, although a catchy one at that. The Clash are just average and overrated and the New York Dolls were a very good glam rock band at heart. The others you mentioned are great (particularly Stiff Little Fingers and Dead Kennedys) but there is so much more to it than that.

To the original poster, if you don't like mainstream punk, try these:

Bad Brains (their first album is pure, unadulterated energy)
    Minor Threat (just wonderful)
    Circle Jerks
    Die Kreuzen (their self-titled is one of the best albums I've ever heard)
    Government Issue (started of as a hardcore outfit but became more melodic)
    Agnostic Front
    Black Flag
    Nation of Ulysses
    Faith
    Void
    Television (for arty punk)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    Dogman3 wrote:

Maybe not so much punk... but you should check out one his older faves THE FROGS.

You may be in for a surprise.
  • I love GnR's cover of The Dead Boys song, Aint It Fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wApjy0IaCTw&feature=related
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    has anybody listened to The Minutemen? (Mike Watts old band). i dont have any of their stuff, just curious if theyre anyway as good as the Dead Kennedys, or Dead Boys, or Circle Jerks etc, or even if along the lines of that music or not?

Love Watts stuff that ive heard but just havnt bothered buying any of it beyond that! so whoever feels like it can dictate my spending for the week.

Dead Moon = lyrically very good. downloaded about 20 of their songs, but then realised they have like, 15 albums so i need to get more!!
    JordyWordy wrote:
    has anybody listened to The Minutemen? (Mike Watts old band). i dont have any of their stuff, just curious if theyre anyway as good as the Dead Kennedys, or Dead Boys, or Circle Jerks etc, or even if along the lines of that music or not?

Love Watts stuff that ive heard but just havnt bothered buying any of it beyond that! so whoever feels like it can dictate my spending for the week.

Dead Moon = lyrically very good. downloaded about 20 of their songs, but then realised they have like, 15 albums so i need to get more!!
    The Minutemen were a fantastic band but probably won't be what you are expecting at all. Their best albums aren't really that much like punk. They sound nothing like the bands you mentioned. They have a much more funky sound thanks to Watt's bass work and there are countryish elements too. great, great band but not really anything like the bands that they get lumped into.

Corona, the theme to Jackass, is by the Minutemen.
    R.I.P D Boon
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The Minutemen were a fantastic band but probably won't be what you are expecting at all. Their best albums aren't really that much like punk. They sound nothing like the bands you mentioned. They have a much more funky sound thanks to Watt's bass work and there are countryish elements too. great, great band but not really anything like the bands that they get lumped into.

Corona, the theme to Jackass, is by the Minutemen.
    R.I.P D Boon

thanks for the info. and if that song is by them, then no, theyre not what i was expecting! but that only makes it more interesting. i have a job to do in the morning so, and its called BUYING/(IL)LEGALLY DOWNLOADING MUSIC
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Eddie was backing vocals in - Bad Religion: Recipe for Hate in the song Kerosene.

I got this album out of curiosity and have collected nearly every Bad Religion album out i believe. They are an incredible punk band and IMO are way better than Fugazi (I do like Fugazi also)
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Why does everyone always name the same bands when someone mentions punk? The Ramones, while they are worshipped on this site because Eddie loves them, were a pop band, although a catchy one at that. The Clash are just average and overrated and the New York Dolls were a very good glam rock band at heart. The others you mentioned are great (particularly Stiff Little Fingers and Dead Kennedys) but there is so much more to it than that.

To the original poster, if you don't like mainstream punk, try these:

Bad Brains (their first album is pure, unadulterated energy)
    Minor Threat (just wonderful)
    Circle Jerks
    Die Kreuzen (their self-titled is one of the best albums I've ever heard)
    Government Issue (started of as a hardcore outfit but became more melodic)
    Agnostic Front
    Black Flag
    Nation of Ulysses
    Faith
    Void
    Television (for arty punk)

why to the "real" punks only like to mention the lesser known/mainstream acts??!!

yes the ramones were a pop act....technically so are pj!

blondie, television, ramones, talking heads & velvet underground were all put in the one punk bracket...which to many is quite odd as they sound completely different... but imo punk is not purely based on the sound/image....if u go against the so called punk ethos ie being different/against the mainstream that makes u punk i feel...just like suicide who supported the clash and got bottled off for not playin pogo music!

the 1st punk band i heard was green day back in '95 when i was 13...shock horror they cant be punk.....well they are certainly rock n roll and write great pop tunes just like the ramones....have slf/the clash as influences, just cuz they broke big like the offspring, nofx, rancid in the mid 90's doesnt mean they cant be considered punk...imo...

yes fugazi, minor threat, bad brains are considered more hardcore than punk...again this mainly a media thing as they put em in this bracket type of thing...

i like what i like "punk" wise the same as i enjoy soul/ska/dance/funk etc which although they are also labels of sorts at least they fit the bill i feel... punk = rock n roll and may or maynot have pop influences!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
    nutmeg81 wrote:
    why to the "real" punks only like to mention the lesser known/mainstream acts??!!

yes the ramones were a pop act....technically so are pj!

blondie, television, ramones, talking heads & velvet underground were all put in the one punk bracket...which to many is quite odd as they sound completely different... but imo punk is not purely based on the sound/image....if u go against the so called punk ethos ie being different/against the mainstream that makes u punk i feel...just like suicide who supported the clash and got bottled off for not playin pogo music!

the 1st punk band i heard was green day back in '95 when i was 13...shock horror they cant be punk.....well they are certainly rock n roll and write great pop tunes just like the ramones....have slf/the clash as influences, just cuz they broke big like the offspring, nofx, rancid in the mid 90's doesnt mean they cant be considered punk...imo...

yes fugazi, minor threat, bad brains are considered more hardcore than punk...again this mainly a media thing as they put em in this bracket type of thing...

i like what i like "punk" wise the same as i enjoy soul/ska/dance/funk etc which although they are also labels of sorts at least they fit the bill i feel... punk = rock n roll and may or maynot have pop influences!
    There's nothing wrong with the mainstream bands and the lesser known ones aren't better by default but they are unfairly overlooked by most people. They are also often better. Most certainly I appreciate what you say but by no means can Green Day be considered punk. You say it isn't just sound but also ethos, Green Day have had neither for at least 10 years.

The point is, the ethos of punk asks that we look past the mainstream to the guys playing some shitty club where they aren't considered 'stars', just people playing some music. That is often where the truly beautiful music is found. More so than with any other music, punk DOES suffer when it becomes big. Compare The Clash's debut with Cut the crap. I don't mention the bands I did before for any kind of underground cool status, I mention them because they are brilliant. Show me a punk band as big as The Ramones were that make music as genuine and real as Minor Threat and I will show you a paradox. I know it sounds elitist and over-generalising but it is, in my experience, true.
  • nutmeg81 wrote:
    well dead boys sprung from the ashes of rocket from the tomb who have reformed i think....and a second group was created after rftt originally broke up too!!

There's a band called Rocket From The Crypt. That would be a strange coincidence. Are they the same band?
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    nutmeg81 wrote:

yea, dead moon is unlistenable to me.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
    brainofPJ wrote:
    yea, dead moon is unlistenable to me.

ah now got there recently released sub pop comp. cd......classic punk rock n roll!!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
    There's a band called Rocket From The Crypt. That would be a strange coincidence. Are they the same band?

no not the same group!!

saw rftc twice in dublin unbelievable live....sad they broke up!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with the mainstream bands and the lesser known ones aren't better by default but they are unfairly overlooked by most people. They are also often better. Most certainly I appreciate what you say but by no means can Green Day be considered punk. You say it isn't just sound but also ethos, Green Day have had neither for at least 10 years.

The point is, the ethos of punk asks that we look past the mainstream to the guys playing some shitty club where they aren't considered 'stars', just people playing some music. That is often where the truly beautiful music is found. More so than with any other music, punk DOES suffer when it becomes big. Compare The Clash's debut with Cut the crap. I don't mention the bands I did before for any kind of underground cool status, I mention them because they are brilliant. Show me a punk band as big as The Ramones were that make music as genuine and real as Minor Threat and I will show you a paradox. I know it sounds elitist and over-generalising but it is, in my experience, true.

yeah most of the punk bands are overlooked by most people.....then again the same can be said for indie groups.....but it dont mean that they more punk because of this!

yes the ramones were popular.....but not by the manistream or radio stations as they never had a hit......or reaped the rewards they deserved!

well yes the clash do sound different on those lp's but why would u want 5 records of repeditive music?? london calling isnt punk if u go along on the line of the way their debut sounds....... and it is more punk in my view due to it goin off on a completely different track!

green day started on lookout and just because they wanted to make a living out of music...like most groups....they got castrised for signing to a major?? balls to that....ramones, sex pistols, the clash all were signed to majors yet when modern punk bands do it its a sell out??!
    they are imo a pop-punk band...just like the ramones...and yes they sound nuthin like minor threat or fugazi but why the backlash.....due to their growing fanbase they have had to change their live sow...which can be repeditive...but i dont hold it against em!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • nutmeg81 wrote:
    green day started on lookout and just because they wanted to make a living out of music...like most groups....they got castrised for signing to a major??

Castrised?

Does that mean they got castrated and then chastised?

I appreciate your passion, but you can't be making up words
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
    Castrised?

Does that mean they got castrated and then chastised?

I appreciate your passion, but you can't be making up words

damn finger positions!!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london