Are The Killers a Guilty Pleasure?

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited November 2007 in Other Music
One of my friends just told me that the Killers are just sucky sellouts that only "homos like". It funny... but I never realized that there were big haters of the killers. Are they a hated band? I like almost all of sams town... and I love their new song tranquilize. What do you guys think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sort of........

They have a very broad fan base which makes them pretty mainstream, and bands like that tend to get labeled as lame, but they are very good at what they do. I'm not a huge fan, but I've liked most of their singles - and I defy anyone not to bust a move when Somebody Told Me or Mr Brightside comes on in your local club!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    they are a decent band
    small doses

over exposed a bit me thinks
  • your friend is a tard.

and with a name like xSmackSoundx, you should be listening to some more emo/hardcore/posthardcore.
  • Props to Lou Reed on that new song tranquilize. I could have done without the childrens chorus however--that will forever be reminiscent of Jay Z's Hard Knock Life. And the vocals were very “Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah”, no?

Having grown up in Vegas and been around the Killers a bit, I take a little pride in the home town band making it big. But apparently even here they are pretty polarizing. Not sure where it all stems from.

It seems for a lot of people, their music choices are about their image rather than a natural reflection of true taste-- i.e. many pick their music based on the image they are trying to portray. Some people also seem to associate The Killers with teenie bopper groupies and boys in guyliner.

I'm pretty luke warm on most their music but some songs I enjoy a great deal and think they are great musicians.

I think you should listening to what you like regardless if your buddy thinks only "homo's" like the Killers.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    i really like them. and their lyrics are very good too. theyre getting a lot better live too, overall i cant see many reasons for hatnig them other than the amount of exposure they get...which is, to be fair, a shit reason for not liking a band
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Regardless of whether it is cool, Hot Fuss was a brilliant album.

Sam's Town... is not.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    not guilty!
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Regardless of whether it is cool, Hot Fuss was a brilliant album.

If that's brilliant, then the stuff I left in the toilet after the mexican food I ate for lunch must be a masterpiece.

The Killer are a horribly overrated band. They are the dictionary definition of boring. I can't wait til they are forgotten about.
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    I agree..Hot Fuzz was a great album with tracks like "Smile Like You Mean It" or "Mr. Brightside"..then came Sam's Town which in my opinion lacks the freshness the first release had..i really didn't even like the singles (just fair i'd say)...just listened to the b-sides album (Sawdust), and other that some tracks i had already heard (All The Pretty Faces, Under The Gun, Who Let You Go and Mr. Bightside's remix track) i didn't find nothing else that could catch my attention. On the other side i heard some b-sides from Bloc Party's release Another Weekend In The City where some tracks could easily outkick some tracks that came on A Weekend In The City.
  • Love the Killer's. By far, my Favorite new "rock" band. At first, I too prefered Hot Fuss, but after extensive listening, I realize its absolutely Sam's Town - by a country mile, super album.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • I cannot stand them. Their sound is incredibly lame in my opinion. And I don't like the singer at all.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i like them. don't own any of their stuff though

edit:

i don't mind them. i certainly don't think they are lame. they are a mainstream band with some very catchy tunes in my opinion.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    They were a guilty pleasure until that turd known as Sams Town. To me, their music grows stale really fast particularly Sams Town.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    that 'shadowplay' song or whatever i recently hear is good.

after the song the dj said, 'i was talking with someone i respect and it just seems like they are a 1 cd band.' 'they demanded respect, but it just seems to dwindle.'
    then they talked about the b sides they just released and it just kinda seems that way.

don't get me wrong, i liked their first record and the second was alright, but...........after all their boasting....i just hope they didn't get too far ahead of themselves....which it appears they did.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Liked a couple of tracks off the first album, not so much the 2nd. But saw them live earlier this year (birthday present for my girlfriend!) and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the show.
    Listen to them a hell of a lot more now than I did before the gig!!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    hguz73 wrote:
    On the other side i heard some b-sides from Bloc Party's release Another Weekend In The City where some tracks could easily outkick some tracks that came on A Weekend In The City.

really? i made a huge effort to like Bloc Party, even saw them live twice. have both albums, and i just dont get the hype. INCREDIBLY forgettable. If you go see the Killers live you'll think they're a far better band than Bloc Party, thats tried and tested advice. i liked Sams Town a lot more after seeing them play it live twice. the "big" sound really suits a live show. and the style of songs mix really well with the first albums songs too in a set.

i also forgot to mention - how can people only focus on the singles - what about "andy you're a star", a song about fantasizing about one of your friends? genius.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    One of my friends just told me that the Killers are just sucky sellouts that only "homos like". It funny... but I never realized that there were big haters of the killers. Are they a hated band? I like almost all of sams town... and I love their new song tranquilize. What do you guys think?

i think you shouldn't be friends with someone who thinks it's cool to toss around "homos" as an insult.