The Shins - Wincing the Night Away

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited November 2007 in Other Music
I read any conversation about the shins and their album "Wincing the Night Away". I think it is excellent. This album has awesome songs like Phantom Limb, Sea Legs, and Turn on me. What does everyone think of it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• took me a while to get into this one, but has some of their strongest-written songs on it. Australia, Phantom Limb, and Sea Legs are all great. I'm still partial to their first two albums, though. Nice to see the band can grow and change with every new album, however- that's one of the symbols of a great band.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I love Wincing. One of my favorite albums of the year. Sea Legs is definitely my favorite, but Sleeping Lessons has really grown on me, especially because of how they perform it live. It is the one song that really makes James come alive on stage. On the whole, it probably isn't as good as Chutes Too Narrow, but I would put it on par with Oh, Inverted World.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Came back to this record recently. I think it is one of the best of the year.
  • I like this whole album. My favorite songs are Sleeping Lessons, Sea Legs, and Split Needles.

Sleeping Lessons is great because it starts off kinda slow, and then it just turns into a completely grooving tune, that I can't help but dance to.

I love the Shins, this album was good for them because it is different than what they have put out previously.

This site has some amazing videos, this one is the Shins (fits the thread) :)

http://www.blogotheque.net/article.php3?id_article=2945
    Cock Fight.
  • I love The Shins so much. I'm actually seeing them in two weeks. I could listen to "Turn on Me" about a hundred times a day. It's brilliant.
  • I love the album. It showed really good progression from their other two. Sea Legs, Sleeping Lessons, Turn On Me, and Girl Sailor are some of their finest songs. I easily put it among the best albums of the year and on par with Oh, Inverted World and Chutes Too Narrow.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    I have 2 of their albums, wincing and schutes, good stuff. Great music.

1 Question, is it just me or does absolutley nothing he says make any sense? I've read the lyrics, listened close, and i can't pull anything out of it lyrically other than 3 words here and there. Maybe it's just me...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• I can understand what he is saying, but it's almost like listening to Michael Stipe sometimes. Not the way they sing or anything, but the words they use together don't make a lot of sense at first listen. :)
  • a5pj wrote:
    I have 2 of their albums, wincing and schutes, good stuff. Great music.

1 Question, is it just me or does absolutley nothing he says make any sense? I've read the lyrics, listened close, and i can't pull anything out of it lyrically other than 3 words here and there. Maybe it's just me...

Yeah, they make no sense... I looked up a lot of the lyrics... their pretty weird...
  • Wincing the Night Away was my introduction to The Shins and I think it's fantastic. Some really intelligent song structures and great lyrics (although admittedly they are hard work).

Does anyone else think the singer looks a bit Kevin Spacey though?
    Scottish Grunge Survivalists...
    http://www.myspace.com/hollowpointuk
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    it rules, i love it. their best so far IMO
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones