Contemplating Running Away

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Last night something horrible happened. I has stoned... and my parents smelled it on me. They searched my room and found my stash. They talked to me a lot about it last night (none of it really sank in). Now i'm feeling like I really don't want to deal with this issue with my parents right now. Also, I recently bought a 500 dollar bicycle. I am seriously thinking about getting away for a while. I am 16, and I can't handle all this shit. I am thinking about just riding my bike away. Maybe for just a week. It seems theres no way to be able to deal with this... my parents are just preaching at me about God and I know its not gonna change me... and I am to change I have to change myself. God isn't gonna help me... so is this how i'm gonna have to help myself?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Last night something horrible happened. I has stoned... and my parents smelled it on me. They searched my room and found my stash. They talked to me a lot about it last night (none of it really sank in). Now i'm feeling like I really don't want to deal with this issue with my parents right now. Also, I recently bought a 500 dollar bicycle. I am seriously thinking about getting away for a while. I am 16, and I can't handle all this shit. I am thinking about just riding my bike away. Maybe for just a week. It seems theres no way to be able to deal with this... my parents are just preaching at me about God and I know its not gonna change me... and I am to change I have to change myself. God isn't gonna help me... so is this how i'm gonna have to help myself?
    Believe me, I've often felt like running away. But when you come back (assuming you do) the problems are still there. They don't disappear and they may even get worse. It's not a solution.

It sometimes feels an impossible task to tackle all these things head on. And it doesn't get any easier as you get older, the problems just become different ones. Try to remember that your parents love you and they're just shocked and afraid of what might happen.

Good Luck.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • julienovajulienova Posts: 118
    As a mom with a son your age, I would just like to say, please don't run away. Try to hang in there, listen to music, IM friends, whatever it takes. This will pass, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

Sky and I fight sometimes, and yeah, his step dad goes bonkers when the guys "burn incense" in the basement. If this it the worst thing that your parents ever catch you doing, they should consider themselves lucky.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854

Wow......

yeah go ahead and "run away for a week." that'll show 'em. and then afterward when you come back they can go back to feeding you and giving you a place to live.

My parents found my weed when I was 17 once. I left it in my jeans and my mother found them in the laundry. Take it like a fucking man.

You're pathetic.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • how emo.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    It's a bit different when your family preaches religion at you because of your actions... so for those of you saying he's emo, etc, shut the fuck up. As for as running away, I'd advise against it... You only learn to deal with problems better if you face them head on. It's always good experience to be in awkward/uncomfortable situations. But if shit gets too bad, honestly, music always cures almost all my problems, so just do what you really love... unless what you really love is running away...
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Don't run away!! Its a real tough world out there....Your parents have your best interests...So they found your stash..Thats your fault HIDE it better next time....
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    I'd run away too if i was posting stuff in the wrong forum

kidding

hang in there champ
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    If I had a nickel for every time my parents found my goods in high school I probably would have bought more.

Seriously though. They're just looking out for you. Don't run away. deal with it. Also, don't turn into a F*ck up.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Last night something horrible happened. I has stoned... and my parents smelled it on me. They searched my room and found my stash. They talked to me a lot about it last night (none of it really sank in). Now i'm feeling like I really don't want to deal with this issue with my parents right now. Also, I recently bought a 500 dollar bicycle. I am seriously thinking about getting away for a while. I am 16, and I can't handle all this shit. I am thinking about just riding my bike away. Maybe for just a week. It seems theres no way to be able to deal with this... my parents are just preaching at me about God and I know its not gonna change me... and I am to change I have to change myself. God isn't gonna help me... so is this how i'm gonna have to help myself?

you should go to counseling. running away doesn't help man. it'll follow you until you can learn to resolve your feelings about your parent's pushing religion on you and your substance use issues.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Take Henry Rollins advice:

"If you hate your parents, the man, or the establishment, don't show them up by getting wasted and wrapping your car around a tree. If you really want to rebel against your parents: out earn them, outlive them, and know more than they do."
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    edit. I remembered if you dont' have anything nice to say you should not say it at all.

sorry.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408

I agree with you that God is not the answer to this problem but I don't think running away is an answer either. It will simply make them think you are even more gone than you are. Just stop smoking pot and tell them you'll think about what they said. That should calm things down. Unless they are actually beating you or something equally awful, it is still better for a 16 year old to have a home, a bed, and food available.

The storm you'd have to deal with from running away would be worse than biting your tongue now.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • mnicole22mnicole22 Posts: 417

I can promise you that there will always be people in your life that piss you off and bring you down. When you're 16, those people are usually your parents. My advice is stick it out. Play music. Write. Leaving for a week wont help.

I can also promise you that there is an end to this. You parents are probably just scared shitless that you're going to fuck up your life (and they probably think it's their fault)

Just deal with it. Life is full of this kind of stuff.
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • mnicole22mnicole22 Posts: 417
    Take Henry Rollins advice:

"If you hate your parents, the man, or the establishment, don't show them up by getting wasted and wrapping your car around a tree. If you really want to rebel against your parents: out earn them, outlive them, and know more than they do."

Nice quote...I like it!
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • ThecureThecure Posts: 814
    i don't think we can say to him grow up but my fear for you is that it seems to me that you don't know how to handle small things. i think you may need therapy to find wasy to resolve some of your issues. if everytime you get into trouble you run, you will get no where in life. stay with your parents and talk with them (they are just as scared as you are) then find a counsellor to talk.
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    OK here is my 2 cents and a bit of what happened to me through my pot smoking days.

Like you I tried it when I was 16-17 and I honestly never liked it, but got busted being stoned a few times.
    My Parents talked to me, and I did listen, but didn't really see the whole point behind the meaning of the conversation that I do now. I am now 26 and a college graduate.
    Anyhow, my so called friends back then smoked pot day in and day out. I found out that they really weren't my friends, they just hung out with each other for dope smoking. I was the outcast in that group. These people did nothing but fuck up some very valuable years in my life. Some went to college with me and that's how I know this. Luckily I do have like 6 close friends, but we all live in different places so never see each other.
    Basically I am a loner, and I hate it. It sucks, but I don't feel I can trust anybody because of the way those people manipulated me and were such assholes.
    My point of telling you this is that I did not listen to my mom when I should have. She told me that "we are associated, with how we hang out with" and I hung out with dope smokers because throughout my life, before they started smoking pot, they were the only people that would accept me as a friend.
    I deeply regret not listening to my parents advice, and I feel like I am paying for it by being alone.
    I am not going to tell you what to do, because I am not your parents. but you are young, and have some great years ahead of you. Running away is certainly not the answer. (as already mentioned many times here). You have parents that are providing for you (food, bed, shelter) so they have your best interest at heart just like mine do, but I didn't listen when I was 16. Now at 26, I am on my own, paying bills and paying for my own food, and I am glad to be doing those things because that is life. I just have so much regret because I didn't listen to my parents. I will never get those 10 years back, but if I had known then what I know now.
    Best of luck and just remember coming from what I just shared up there that your parents only have your best interest at heart and it's never to early to start really understanding the meaning behind what they are trying to get us to see. I have gone to counseling, and I just recently started going back to church because I am trying so hard to better the life I feel that got so screwed up by not listening to my parents
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12