I Want to get to know the Pumpkins.

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I hear A TON about this band, but I didn't really listen to much of them... the only two songs I know are Rat in a Cage, and Tonight, Tonight. What Album should I start with? what is their best album? Who all is in the band?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Siamese Dream is their best, and amazing from start to finish. "hipsters" will tell you that melon collie and the infinite sadness is their masterpiece but they are wrong :)

the band was originally Billy Corgan (the mastermind), Jimmy Chamberlain, D'Arcy Wretzy and James Iha but only the first two now remain.

oh yeah, and "rat in a cage" is actually called Bullet with butterfly wings.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    Another question... ummm... what is their earliest and latest albums
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    Also... that album name seems kinda.. ya know... emo... ummm.. are they like that or is it something different
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    first album is gish- some cracking tunes on it

then siamese dream- epic!

then mellon collie and the infinite sadness- daaaaaaamn good!

adore- different but good

machina- weird but good

just listen to 1979 from mellon collie, i think its their greatest tune
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    yes listen to gish,siamese dream and mellon collie - then if you like more listen to machina and then pices iscariot and adore.

I love the adore tour with the awesome percussion... every version of any song was lovely... but the album is weird with electronc drums and not that many awesome jams unlike the live show
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    •Soma
    •Hummer
    •Mayonaise
    •Muzzle
    •To Forgive
    •Space Boy

Those are some great tracks.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • pdh1978pdh1978 Posts: 211
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Siamese Dream is their best, and amazing from start to finish. "hipsters" will tell you that melon collie and the infinite sadness is their masterpiece but they are wrong :)

Totally agree! :)
    If you all stop hitting refresh for just two minutes, I can buy my tickets...
  • I would recommend both Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie to start out with. They really have so much material that it would take several years to truly go through it all (Albums, B-Sides, Unofficial Releases, Demos, Bootlegs). If you start out with those two and like them, you should check out Adore, it’s their quieter record, almost acoustic. It’s amazing!

The albums in order are:

Gish
    Siamese Dream
    Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
    Adore
    Machina I \ The Machines Of God
    Machina II \ The Friends And Enemies Of Modern Music
    Zeitgeist

Some of my favorite songs:
    Mayonaise
    X.Y.U.
    Fuck You
    Silverfuck
    Disarm
    Ugly
    With Every Light
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Also... that album name seems kinda.. ya know... emo... ummm.. are they like that or is it something different
    do you mean melon collie sounds emo? its not, and they aren't that kind of band. the early album, gish through to melon collie are kind of grungy (for want of a better word) but with classic rock influences and some amazing instrumentation. buy siamese dream, you won't regret it. soma, mayonaise, disarm, hummer, silverfuck - these are all brilliant songs.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    agreed here too. siamese dream really is a modern masterpiece, one the greatest albums ever written imo
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Start off with Siamese Dream and/or Mellon Collie.... After that, move on to the others.

My top 10 SP songs:
    1. Aeroplane Flies High
    2. XYU
    3. Rocket
    4. Cherub Rock
    5. Here Is No Why
    6. Bodies
    7. Quiet
    8. Marquis in Spades
    9. Blue Skies Bring Tears
    10. I Am One
    If you're headed to the grave,
    you don't blame the hearse.

07/09/03, 05/05/06, 06/01/06, 06/03/06
  • I think 'Gish' is the best.

Mellon Clollie... is also great but a bit long. The ones after that are really good but they are completely different from the first three. You can't really hear the talent as musicians they have on these records (I don't think).

Like Pearl Jam, they have done some really good B-Sides aswell.
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Go to http://www.archive.org and do a search for Smashing Pumpkins. Then you can download or stream live shows. There are shows from all of the band's periods, including their current tour. Hopefully the Ashville shows get posted soon.

Here's a link to their Machina II album, which was never commercially released:

http://www.archive.org/details/machina2

Speed Kills, Cash Car Star, Dross, Glass' Theme, Home, Let Me Give The World To You, and In My Body are all quality tunes. Better than most of the songs that made the cut for the commercially released Machina album.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    this is the order i'd recommend:

1. Siamese Dream
    2. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    3. Gish

then after you fall in love with those....

4. Adore (I know it's sooooo freakin awesome but from what i've seen, most new fans don't like it at first)

the rest, get in any order you like
    Machina
    Machina 2
    Pisces Iscariot
    The Aeroplane Flies High
    Mashed Potatoes
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    CJMST3K wrote:
    gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH gish GISH

i can't believe know one's mentioned gish.......i think all the pumpkins albums are good but the first album i bought was siamese dream so i say start there....but don't forget gish.....don't why it's not gettin' any love from the pit...:confused:;)
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    cutback wrote:
    i can't believe know one's mentioned gish.......i think all the pumpkins albums are good but the first album i bought was siamese dream so i say start there....but don't forget gish.....don't why it's not gettin' any love from the pit...:confused:;)
    huuuh? its mentioned lots
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Just go buy Siamese Dream

that is all you need to do.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Please done say Smashing Pumpkins and Emo in the same sentence, its a real insult.... to the pumpkins i mean. :)
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Want to discover a new band??? Always listen to the albums in chronological order.

1. Start with 'Gish'
    2. Buy 'Siamese Dream' at the same time but listen it after Gish.
    3. Wait a week or 2 because you can't get these 2 albums out of your CD-player.
    4. Buy 'Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness' after 2 weeks, and think how could I forgot to buy this album 2 weeks ago.
    5. And the problems are starting now. 'Adore' and 'Machina' are good albums, but you can't compare them with the other 3. These albums you should listen when you don't want to listen to the other 3 albums anymore.
    6. Check out there B-sides 'Pisces Iscariot' and 'The Aeroplane Flies High' boxset. Their are some songs which are better then some A-sides.
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    I hear A TON about this band, but I didn't really listen to much of them... the only two songs I know are Rat in a Cage, and Tonight, Tonight. What Album should I start with? what is their best album? Who all is in the band?

siamese dream and gish are great. mellon collie should never have been a double album but it has a lot of great songs on it. i didn't like adore very much.
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    listen to best of...then go...on other albums...
    watch 2 pumpkins dvds and you will fall in love with the band
    i love rock chicks
  • manonkouchmanonkouch Posts: 56
    AOL radio now has a Pumpkins channel. that way you can get familiar with the songs. As for albums i would start with Gish and Siamese Dream.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Get Siamese Dream first. Then go back and buy Gish. Once you can't get enough of those go ahead and get Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness...here's a list of my top 10 fav. Pumpkins songs...at the moment anyway...

1. Muzzle
    2. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
    3. Cherub Rock
    4. Tarantula
    5. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
    6. Snail
    7. Geek U.S.A.
    8. The Aeroplane Flies High
    9. Fuck You
    10. Silverfuck
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119

Lol. Rat in the cage.

That is priceless.

For Starters get these albums:

Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie/Adore/Gish/Machina/Machina II/Pices Iscariot

Listen to them in this order:

Gish/PI/SD/MC/Adore/Machina/Machina II

If you like what you hear, listen to these:
    The Aeroplane Flies High, Mashed Potatoes, Judas O

There are other boots with rare songs, but these should do for now.

You can find many of the rare demos etc here:

http://rspaa.niluje.net/
  • PearlStripesPearlStripes Posts: 267
    Silverfuck rocks as do all the songs on Siamese Dream.

One of my all time favorite albums (top 10). Got to see them in a small bar in Iowa City for the Siamese tour. Bought the disc the next day.
  • Also... that album name seems kinda.. ya know... emo... ummm.. are they like that or is it something different
    lol
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    CJMST3K wrote:

What CJMST3K says -4 sure!
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • Pisces Iscariot is incredible I think if ya get the chance to hear the Airplane flies high its like the lost dogs of the pumpkins ya could say but its just from one album, some unreal stuff on that.was lucky enough to see em at nova rock I know its only jummy and billy but still was unreal.
    Dublin, Ireland 17/8/06
    Katowice, Poland 13/6/07
    Nova Rock,Austria 16/6/07
    Nijmegen, Holland 28/6/07