Icky Thump or Zeitgeist?

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited July 2007 in Other Music
This would be a very hard choice for me. I have been a long time fan of The White Stripes, But I have just really been getting into the Smashing Pumpkins in the last few months. They are both gret albums. I do have to say that the Whites single, "Icky Thump" beatsTarantula. Alhough alot of the Zeitgeist stuff outplays stuff in Icky Thump. Like Doomsday Clock, 7 shades of black, and Bring the light beat most of icky thump. What do you think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jsasojsaso Posts: 179
    icky thump...the song...is to long for a white stripes single and
    tarantula is way better constructed, meg white cant fucking drumm,
    other then that the cds are equeal...counquest!!!!!!!
    and reeeeeeeeevvooooluuuuuuuuutttion!!!!!!!
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Um...

ZEITGEIST!!!

No contest here.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    lol what a funny thread...

zeitgeist..
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Icky Thump... zeitgeist was a bit of a let-down
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Little Cream Soda is where it's at
    hate was just a legend
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Icky Thump by a landslide.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • I'm a big fan of both bands but after listening to both quite a bit I'd have to go w/ Icky Thump...by far.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Icky Thump.

The new Marilyn Manson album is probably my favorite though.
    Be Sound...
  • ICKY THUMP!!...Album is fuckin spectacular
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    This would be a very hard choice for me. I have been a long time fan of The White Stripes, But I have just really been getting into the Smashing Pumpkins in the last few months. They are both gret albums. I do have to say that the Whites single, "Icky Thump" beatsTarantula. Alhough alot of the Zeitgeist stuff outplays stuff in Icky Thump. Like Doomsday Clock, 7 shades of black, and Bring the light beat most of icky thump. What do you think?
    Nothing on Zeitchristohmighty is fit to be an Icky Thump b-side. Maybe a c-side. I find Zeigtchistohmighty about as enjoyable as a C-Section.

Little Cream Soda, alone, puts that album to shame.

But that's just me.

Carry on amongst yourselves.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
    dharma69 wrote:
    Nothing on Zeitchristohmighty is fit to be an Icky Thump b-side. Maybe a c-side. I find Zeigtchistohmighty about as enjoyable as a C-Section.

Little Cream Soda, alone, puts that album to shame.

But that's just me.

Carry on amongst yourselves.
    like i sad meg white cant play the drumms, the middle part of icky thump
    is realy bad, bagpipes suck
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    jsaso wrote:

Bagpipes must suck if you say so...

You should go to Scotland and say that
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like icky thump more.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    They're not even in the same league. Zeitgiest is crap. Icky is a phenominal album!
    GoBucky wrote:
    They're not even in the same league. Zeitgiest is crap. Icky is a phenominal album!

bagpipes suck, meg white cant play, it is decent...but cant compare to zeitgeist...
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    Anyone who thinks that Meg can't play falls into one of two categories:

A.) You don't play drums and don't really understand what makes a good drummer

B.) You do play drums, think you know what you're talking about, suck really bad yourself and therefore your opinion of good drumming is out of whack

Meg's drumming on Icky Thump is tasteful, serves the songs, and sounds good. Period.
  • GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    jsaso wrote:
    ...but cant compare to zeitgeist...

Agreed...it certainly can't campare to the travesty called Zeitgeist!
    GoBucky wrote:
    Agreed...it certainly can't campare to the travesty called Zeitgeist!

icky thump is average shit...zeitgeist is epic...
    jack is milking the same 4 chords the last 3 albums...
    and like i said...meg cant play, jimmy can play...
    when meg does a drum take like united states call me...
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    jsaso wrote:

you've posted on this thread 3 or 4 times... you've made your point, but i want to bring to the attention of the others on the thread that you know fuck all about music or musical instruments... the song Icky Thump DOESNT HAVE BAGPIPES half way through it... its a small keyboard... and i should know... check location... bagpipes aren't shit.. they stir emotion and are a sign of our fight against oppression... as someone else said, come here and say there shit :)

here endeth the lesson
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    Cool... Everyone is mad... I think I made up my mind... I have to say Icky Thump is completely equal to Zeitgeist. I have completly leveled them out. 7 shades of black is better than little cream soda. Icky Thump is better than Tarantula. Bring the light is better than Conquest. Rag and bone is better than Doomsday clock.

P.S. I`m posting this with my Nintendo DS so if anything looks messed up it`s not my fualt.
  • donravendonraven Posts: 139
    I have listened to each one about 10 times so far, and while I have always been a HUGE smashing pumpkins fan, I have to say Icky Thump is the better album....by a longshot actually.

Zeitgeist is half a great album, while Icky Thump is fully an excellent album.
    Boston, MA - Sept 28, 2004
    Halifax, NS - Sept 22, 2005
    Toronto, ON - August 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON - Sept 11, 2011
    Toronto, ON - Sept 12, 2011
    London, ON - July 16, 2013
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
  • id go with icky thump, the more i listen to it the more i like it...
    zeitgeist, not so much

icky thump 8/10

zeitgeist 5.5/10
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    EBowie wrote:
    Anyone who thinks that Meg can't play falls into one of two categories:

A.) You don't play drums and don't really understand what makes a good drummer

B.) You do play drums, think you know what you're talking about, suck really bad yourself and therefore your opinion of good drumming is out of whack

Meg's drumming on Icky Thump is tasteful, serves the songs, and sounds good. Period.
    this is the funniest post ever

i fall into neither, being a damn good drummer (and modest too) and i don't think she sucks. I KNOW she sucks, and she sucks where it matters, which is her live performance

oh definitely zeitgeist btw
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    Well, I'll give my opinion but I just got home from an all night party so I'm too tired to give any reasoning behind it but I find myself wanting to listen to Zeitgeist more than I do Icky Thump.

So Zeitgeist for me.

Two best albums of the year so far though
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • 7 Kettles7 Kettles Posts: 86
    zeitgeist is my choice...for two reasons:
    1) i haven't listened to icky thump yet (other than the single)
    2) the pumpkins have my heart and i love the zeit.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • dunkman wrote:
    Icky Thump... zeitgeist was a bit of a let-down

Agreed.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.