Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited May 2008 in Other Music
wow. this album is incredible. did anyone else get it yet? if not, i would highly recommend it. i think it might be their best work to date. if you are into death cab at all (or not), get this album.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• drew2420drew2420 Posts: 61
    Picked it up Tuesday. It's growing on me more and more with every listen.
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    I still have to pick this one up, I downloaded it and listened to it on repeat endlessly. Definitely a great album, Plans had a few great songs on it, but as a whole ain't great as Transatlanticism, that one is filled with gems and so is Narrow Stairs.
    your light's reflected now
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    I've only listened to it once so far (hoping to again in a few hours if I'm left alone at work) and I liked it.

It's much more immediate than Plans. I remember being crushingly dissapointed the first time I listened to Plans. That was not the case this time.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    drew2420 wrote:
    Picked it up Tuesday. It's growing on me more and more with every listen.

exactly the case with me. it gets better each time you listen to it.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I don't quite get the hate for Plans. It hooked me right away, and I still listen to it often. Great album. That being said, Narrow Stairs is also fantastic. Definitely a different sound. Not as "poppy." I am really into "The Ice Is Getting Thinner" right now.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    boroff89 wrote:
    I don't quite get the hate for Plans. It hooked me right away, and I still listen to it often. Great album. That being said, Narrow Stairs is also fantastic. Definitely a different sound. Not as "poppy." I am really into "The Ice Is Getting Thinner" right now.

i dont get the hate for plans either and agree that it is a great album.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    wow. this album is incredible. did anyone else get it yet? if not, i would highly recommend it. i think it might be their best work to date. if you are into death cab at all (or not), get this album.

i LOVE death cab! :)
    happy to read the endorsement. i knew they had a new album coming out this month...most definitely will be picking it up!

going to see them on june 10th - wooohooo!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Really, really liking this album. "Cath" is probably the best new song I've heard this year.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I Will Possess Your Heart.......cannot get enough of that song at the moment.

Where are they playing 6/10? I may have to go....

you can add Cath to that as well!
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    i dont get the hate for plans either and agree that it is a great album.
    Hate is quite the overstatement. I like a few such a lot, but the album as a a whole doesn't do it for me.

Ordered my tix for Amsterdam 07-10 :D
    your light's reflected now
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Has anyone caught the story of the making of this album? It's called "open windows", and it's like a SVT for this latest work of theirs. Very nice. It was on Current last night late. I really love this band :). They are like PJ in so many ways, particularly the way they comport themselves and the way they think of themselves as a band :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • se7v7ense7v7en Posts: 329
    I like it but its no transatlanticism.

What channel is this making of the album being played on?
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    ah HA! i knew there would be a thread, there had to be one.
    because.. this morning before work i went to HMV with my brother, and being too broke myself said, 'hey youuuu should get this...' to which he obliged...and then i stole it from him and put it on as soon as i got to work, and i CANNOT STOP! it's already made it to my signature.

i loves it!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    LOVE LOVE LOVE DCFC!!! Sorry to be missing them at Sasquatch..they were awesome at Bridge 06...

Anyway, I too cannot stop listening to I will Possess your Heart...it's this generations "Every Breath You Take"....very very "stalker-y"...
    be philanthropic
  • inmytree1380inmytree1380 Posts: 155
    This album did hit me sooner than "Plans" did, but it is personally a hard album to listen to. I don't want to sound like one of those posters who shares personal info (not that that's a bad thing, just something that isn't what I like to do), but I'm going through a tough-ish break-up, and this album sounds like it was written for me. So yeah, this is good.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2003: Pittsburgh
    2004: Toledo
    2005: Pittsburgh
    2006: Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2008: D.C.
    2009: Toronto, Philly IV
    2010: Cleveland
    2011: East Troy I & II
    2013: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore
    2014: Austin I
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Hampton, Philly II, Chicago II
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    I Will Possess Your Heart.......cannot get enough of that song at the moment.

Where are they playing 6/10? I may have to go....

you can add Cath to that as well!

GA show in brooklyn. mcclarren pool i think is the place? i never heard of it before until this show. if you DO go, let me know...as of right now, meme and her husband and i are probably meeting for dinner then the show. :)

that said, got the album yesterday. listened 2x so far, and honestly...nothing has *grabbed* me just yet. definitely will give it moe time, let it grow on me....but really, EVERY other album of theirs, at least a song or 2 got me from the first listen. this....hmmmm. transatlanticism is probably my most fave album of theirs, but honestly, i love them ALL. hope i fall in love with narrow stairs. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    GA show in brooklyn. mcclarren pool i think is the place? i never heard of it before until this show. if you DO go, let me know...as of right now, meme and her husband and i are probably meeting for dinner then the show. :)[/i]. :)

McCarren Pool is the venue, pretty cool place. It's an old city pool that's emptied with the stage on the side of it. Seen a couple shows there, good times.......terrible beer lines though.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    GA show in brooklyn. mcclarren pool i think is the place? i never heard of it before until this show. if you DO go, let me know...as of right now, meme and her husband and i are probably meeting for dinner then the show. :)

that said, got the album yesterday. listened 2x so far, and honestly...nothing has *grabbed* me just yet. definitely will give it moe time, let it grow on me....but really, EVERY other album of theirs, at least a song or 2 got me from the first listen. this....hmmmm. transatlanticism is probably my most fave album of theirs, but honestly, i love them ALL. hope i fall in love with narrow stairs. :)

cool...i will think about it. i have so much going on at the moment. moving into a new house and having to pack up an existing one by yourself is rough!!