Raising Sand- Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Anyone else digging this album? It's so moody and cool. Perfect for the weird, gray months of February & March (at least in here in the NE), if you know what I mean.

He's got one of one of what I call the Holy Trinity of Classic Rock Voices (along with Roger Daltrey and Mick Jagger), and it blends really well with Krauss' bluesy-grassy voice. I recommend it!

My favorites:

Rich Woman
Gone, Gone, Gone
Through the Morning, Through the Night
Stick With Me, Baby

Good stuff!
"Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
~ed, 8/7
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I've been meaning to give this album a listen for a while now. Maybe I'll download it seeing as how my funds are low, but I always feel guilty doing that.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    Definitely give it a listen! Another good tune I forgot to list is "Please Read the Letter".

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

~ed, 8/7
  • its absolutely awesome. i was listening to it A LOT around christmas. i got it for my mom and my dad for presents, and my girlfriend got it for me. its an amazing piece of work.

fortune teller and please read the letter are highlights and i love the first five too.

every song is a cover with the exception to please read the letter, which gives credit to page and plant et al.

great, great album....i remember there being a few threads on it when it came out.

edit: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=259390&highlight=krauss
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    its absolutely awesome. i was listening to it A LOT around christmas. i got it for my mom and my dad for presents, and my girlfriend got it for me. its an amazing piece of work.

fortune teller and please read the letter are highlights and i love the first five too.

every song is a cover with the exception to please read the letter, which gives credit to page and plant et al.

great, great album....i remember there being a few threads on it when it came out.

edit: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=259390&highlight=krauss

ahh. i did a search for "raising sand" but not "alison krauss" or and "robert plant" guess that's why i didn't find that other thread. thanks!

~ed, 8/7
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Great album. Best song is Killing the Blues.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i can't get into it. i only listened to whatever itunes lets you hear as a preview, but hearing Plant do country makes me want to cry myself to sleep. also, it was hard for me to tell if i was properly clicking on each song since every preview sounded like it was all from the same song

i don't get the hype
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Great great album :D
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    lephty wrote:
    i can't get into it. i only listened to whatever itunes lets you hear as a preview, but hearing Plant do country makes me want to cry myself to sleep. also, it was hard for me to tell if i was properly clicking on each song since every preview sounded like it was all from the same song

i don't get the hype

Its not Plant doing country or Krauss doing rock,its a fine album of two great voices working very well together in a much more blues vein.
    This kind of opinion is what pisses me of about the music generation now.Suck a little through itunes and see if its any good if the snippet isn't its easy to discard.This is no way to learn about music and get really into it.
    The album has actually been out for quite a few months now.It came out with very little "hype" and has grown through word of mouth.
    Its an excellent album,one of the best of last year.But if you want to miss out go ahead.
    Im just a purist at heart.Old fashioned still actually going into a music store and buying albums.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Very nice album. I like it a lot.

Did anyone else see their CMT special last night? I was quite impressed by Plant's version of "The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn," and Alison's version of "When the Levy Breaks" was great as well. Who would have thought?
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Anyone else digging this album? It's so moody and cool. Perfect for the weird, gray months of February & March (at least in here in the NE), if you know what I mean.

He's got one of one of what I call the Holy Trinity of Classic Rock Voices (along with Roger Daltrey and Mick Jagger), and it blends really well with Krauss' bluesy-grassy voice. I recommend it!

My favorites:

Rich Woman
    Gone, Gone, Gone
    Through the Morning, Through the Night
    Stick With Me, Baby

Good stuff!
    Lovely album. And I guess part of the charm is how well two completely divergent voices marry so well and so gently....it's kind of musically sexy.

Plus a little blues/blue grass never hurt anybody.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Benzor wrote:
    Great album. Best song is Killing the Blues.
    i am drowning in bliss in this album....sooooo beautiful. i also love 'killing the blues'

justam 'luscious' is an excellent way of describing it
  • Funny. I posted that original post back in September, and here it is 6 months later, and I listened to it in the car today and it sounds better than ever.

Try this: Listen to "Polly Come Home" with good headphones loud. The last chorus after the guitar solo/interlude before the song slowly ends. Alison's backing behind Roberts singing, swirling around. Gives me goosebumbs every time.

I think many of the negative reviews in Amazon, for example, are people afraid Plant is going to like this and therefore reduce the chances of a Zeppelin tour. Like "one of the guys" gets a girl and doesn't hang out anymore. I think this has a life of it's own. I take it for what it is and don't clutch the past.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Its not Plant doing country or Krauss doing rock,its a fine album of two great voices working very well together in a much more blues vein.
    This kind of opinion is what pisses me of about the music generation now.Suck a little through itunes and see if its any good if the snippet isn't its easy to discard.This is no way to learn about music and get really into it.
    The album has actually been out for quite a few months now.It came out with very little "hype" and has grown through word of mouth.
    Its an excellent album,one of the best of last year.But if you want to miss out go ahead.
    Im just a purist at heart.Old fashioned still actually going into a music store and buying albums.

wow.. did my opinion make you angry? i made a simple comment about the previews from iTunes and you made some crazy assumption that i don't go to the store and pay for albums and you also put me in this "music generation now" category which is interesting to me (since i am 28 and don't consider myself to be in this current music generation).

before buying anything new, i always try to give a listen to what i can that is on the album. i saw the attention this album was getting and thought that i would test it out since it has one of the most well known voices in music history. iTunes is the easiest source for me to listen to previews of albums that i might have an interest in (especially since i haven't listened to the radio in years). i am sure this album is good for some people (obviously with its sales) but it is not to my liking.

also, anything with Robert Plant or Jimmy Page in it does not need marketing. Led Zeppelin was probably the most talented band to ever exist and they have legions of fans that will buy anything that has either name in an album title. i am not saying that's what happened here, but i have a small pile of soundtracks and collaborations that i like and do not like because pearl jam or members of pearl jam are in it.

PEACE!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I can't wait to see them live this April. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    need to check out the cmc clips from yesterday.. great album.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • This is a freaking GREAT CD!!!!!!!!!!!
  • soclose wrote:
    Very nice album. I like it a lot.

Did anyone else see their CMT special last night? I was quite impressed by Plant's version of "The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn," and Alison's version of "When the Levy Breaks" was great as well. Who would have thought?

Here is a link to the entire show. http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/cmt_crossroads/127935/episode.jhtml

Go down to the link to see the show. It is in segments. Starts with a commercial and then they do gone gone gone, and The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn. Then it jumps to commercial, and plays the next segment. All of the segments are at the right of the screen. I too was impressed by "The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn". Totally awesome. Alison did great on When the Levee Breaks. I can't wait until they come to town (LA). Here are some Zeppelin songs I'd like to see them do: Boogie with Stu, Battle of Evermore, Bron Y Aur Stomp, Tangerine, Thats the Way and maybe Night Flight. And of course, Hot Dog. I hope they do most of the Raising Sand album too.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • DickieDickie Posts: 26
    lephty wrote:

i don't get the hype

Totally agree with this poster. This album is way overrated.
  • Just picked it up yesterday. Some of THE most beautiful music I've ever heard.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • it's so different from what i would normally listen to... and it's just so damn good. :D
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    obviously i need to give it a couple of more spins for it all to really sink in, but it sounds like an extremely beautiful and soulful album
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i was pleasantly surprised to discover the Tom Waits cover (trampled rose)
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick