Activism...check out this!!

F69thF69th Posts: 3
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Some new music "The Fighting 69th" from Scotland, have a listen...forum on site have our say on whatever....forum is completely unedited....check it out and if you like what you hear..tell a friend..thats how we get things done!!
Cheers
F69th
http://www.thefighting69th.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i live in Dumfries :cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • F69thF69th Posts: 3
    Awright dunkman, get on and have a listen, some lyrics their too....drop us an opinion or two on the forum....Thanks
    F69th wrote:
    Awright dunkman, get on and have a listen, some lyrics their too....drop us an opinion or two on the forum....Thanks

i dinnae ken yer faither but a ken Craig a wee bit ;)

i'll have a listen.. :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • F69th wrote:
    Some new music "The Fighting 69th" from Scotland, have a listen...forum on site have our say on whatever....forum is completely unedited....check it out and if you like what you hear..tell a friend..thats how we get things done!!
    Cheers
    F69th
    http://www.thefighting69th.com

So did they get the name from the Wolfe tones or the Dropkick Murphys?

Don't Scots hate the Irish?
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon

Don't Scots hate the Irish?

doesn't everyone? ;)

actually... we and the irish are celtic cousins... brethren if you will

The Scots historically 'hate' the English... but thankfully thats dying out these days :)
  • dunkman wrote:
    doesn't everyone? ;)

The Scots historically 'hate' the English... but thankfully thats dying out these days :)

Nice, so where'd the name come from?
    Nice, so where'd the name come from?

bot saying this is how they got their name but type 'fighting 69th' into wikipedia brings up this :)

The 69th Infantry Regiment (Light), New York Army National Guard is the famed Fighting 69th combat unit out of New York City and part of the 42nd "Rainbow" Division. Its history dates back to 1851, when it was created as the 69th New York Militia, "A" company can trace roots back to the American Revolution. The regiment has served in combat in 4 wars and 19 campaigns including the American Civil War, World War I, World War II, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.

It is an Irish heritage unit, with many of its traditions and symbols deriving from a time when the regiment was made entirely of Irish-Americans. The regiment's Civil War Era battle cry was "Faugh A Ballagh;" which is Irish Gaelic for "Clear the Way." This is reminiscent of the cry of the Irish Brigade of the French Army in the Battle of Fontenoy. A World War I era battle cry is "Gary Owen and Glory!" Its Motto is "Gentle when stroked - Fierce when provoked" in reference to the Irish Wolfhounds on its crest and dress cap badges of 1861.

The unit's Regimental crest depicts both the 1861 Regimental dress cap device braced by two Irish Wolfhounds and the red shamrock of the First Division of the Second Corps of the Army of the Potomac in the Civil War. These separated by a rainbow depicting the units service as a founding regiment of the 42nd Rainbow Division in World War I. The Green background is a unique honor; most infantry units are required to have an infantry blue background. The regiment has this because its Civil War Regimental colors (flags) were green with the Golden Harp of Ireland. 69.125.140.123 16:54, 24 January 2007 (UTC)
  • dunkman wrote:
    bot saying this is how they got their name but type 'fighting 69th' into wikipedia brings up this :)

The 69th Infantry Regiment (Light), New York Army National Guard is the famed Fighting 69th combat unit out of New York City and part of the 42nd "Rainbow" Division. Its history dates back to 1851, when it was created as the 69th New York Militia, "A" company can trace roots back to the American Revolution. The regiment has served in combat in 4 wars and 19 campaigns including the American Civil War, World War I, World War II, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.

It is an Irish heritage unit, with many of its traditions and symbols deriving from a time when the regiment was made entirely of Irish-Americans. The regiment's Civil War Era battle cry was "Faugh A Ballagh;" which is Irish Gaelic for "Clear the Way." This is reminiscent of the cry of the Irish Brigade of the French Army in the Battle of Fontenoy. A World War I era battle cry is "Gary Owen and Glory!" Its Motto is "Gentle when stroked - Fierce when provoked" in reference to the Irish Wolfhounds on its crest and dress cap badges of 1861.

The unit's Regimental crest depicts both the 1861 Regimental dress cap device braced by two Irish Wolfhounds and the red shamrock of the First Division of the Second Corps of the Army of the Potomac in the Civil War. These separated by a rainbow depicting the units service as a founding regiment of the 42nd Rainbow Division in World War I. The Green background is a unique honor; most infantry units are required to have an infantry blue background. The regiment has this because its Civil War Regimental colors (flags) were green with the Golden Harp of Ireland. 69.125.140.123 16:54, 24 January 2007 (UTC)

Yeah I knew that much,

Couldn't find the Dropkick Murphys version, but it rocks. But here's the original from the Wolfe Tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFvjIjkmL_Q

Here's dropkick covering another wolfetones tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LbO8uN20MY&mode=related&search=
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    dunkman wrote:
    doesn't everyone? ;)

erm...yeah but i bet it's dying out slowly amongst older generation....

good band, sounds punky