Just saw my first Manson concert

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Last night, Salt Lake City, UT at the Great Saltair. It was Marilyn's first time back in 10 years. He was banned for "defacing and destroying" the Book of Mormon...and if you still don't know what that shit is...research it. Anyways, to say the least this show was awesome. I'll admit, I used to be hesitant on Manson but I recently got into him because of my girlfriend and he, and even more so the band can really rock the hell out...they opened with some new stuff which i wasn't familiar with except for "Heart Shaped Glasses" and I'm nto really crazy about that song but once he got into the show he began to play all of his classic, good shit. When he started playing "Rock N' Roll Nigger" I really was suprised, it's a cover, and it's from what I understood a more not known song of his.

he also played:
sweet dreams
beautiful people
dope show
antichrist superstar
the love song
tourniquet
irresponsible hate anthem
and more

awesome show...i would never pass up seeing Manson anytime...if anyone gets the chance to see him, take it...you won't be disappointed. He sounds great. The band soudns great.
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DAAAAAAAMN I wanna see Manson so bad.

That's correct, R&R Nigger is a Patti Smith cover. Manson is an absolute pro at doing great covers.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I'm not into Mansons music but I find him a fascinating character.He comes across in interviews as a highly intelligent on the ball man.But can also have a laugh at himself.I respect him as an artist despite not being into the music.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    sort of surprised to hear he played "rock n roll nigger". and "tourniquet"!

i lost all intrest after Holy Wood. Holy Wood is probably strongest album IMO, but i just grew out of him.

did he play: Lunchbox, Misery Machine, Great Big White World, Mister Superstar, Coma White, Coma Black, or Kinderfeld?
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I saw him 3 years ago and the entire show was great, his voice was in a pretty good condition. However last year he was performing at Nova Rock Festival (Austria) exactly when Linkin Park and Pearl Jam were playing their own shows on main stage. I didn't hesitate to skip his show...:)
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • i am seeing him tomorrow row 9 centre. with the first 5 rows being GA. it will be my first show too. was it rowdy? thanks for the great review, got me excited. ive only been listening to the new album for like two days...its okay...i just cant wait to see some of classics like you say...

my ultimate hope would be for him to play this is the new SHIT.

that song gets me goin man......
    wintersleep tonight, manson tomorrow. not a bad weekend. if the canucks beat the oil tonight it will be perfect.

can you post a setlist?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • i am seeing him tomorrow row 9 centre. with the first 5 rows being GA. it will be my first show too. was it rowdy? thanks for the great review, got me excited. ive only been listening to the new album for like two days...its okay...i just cant wait to see some of classics like you say...

my ultimate hope would be for him to play this is the new SHIT.

that song gets me goin man......
    wintersleep tonight, manson tomorrow. not a bad weekend. if the canucks beat the oil tonight it will be perfect.

can you post a setlist?
    The canucks ARE going to beat the oilers tonight ;)

More than manson, I want to see the opening band, OURS, they're amazing live and they rarely tour on the west coast, so it's a great opportunity to see them for those who haven't heard of them before.
  • I saw Manson back in 2003 and it was without question one of the best shows I have ever been to. Show the keyword. You definitely get your moneys worth. I think he came out on stilts for the one encore. Stilts!? Awesome show and well worth the money.
  • I saw him in 2001 during Ozzfest. He stole the show(and that particular year had the original Black Sabbath). I'm not a huge fan of his music, but I don't dislike it either. Great performance.
  • I saw Manson last December for the 4th time and was extremely dissapointed, was lookin forward to it, and left wantin to cry lol youre lucky, yuou got to see Twiggy back with Manson, guess il have to wait for next tour, would kill to see Rock and Roll Nigger live. The whole band sounded shit when i went, I can play the old songs on guitar better, I miss John 5.
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • I've seen them several times dating back to 1994 when they opened for NIN. Great show, definitely glad to hear Twiggy is back. I would love to hear some of the early stuff live again.

Tourniquet....NICE.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

More than manson, I want to see the opening band, OURS, they're amazing live and they rarely tour on the west coast, so it's a great opportunity to see them for those who haven't heard of them before.
    OURS is a great band!!!
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    Saturnal wrote:
    That's correct, R&R Nigger is a Patti Smith cover. Manson is an absolute pro at doing great covers.

it's a patti smith cover? i never knew. not a fan of using the n word, but that song is just heavy as fuck.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I've seen Manson about four times with the last time coming in about 10 years ago. Every show I've seen him, he's always done an outstanding job. My fave live songs just b/c of the theatrics have to be Kinderfeld and Antichrist Superstar.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • demetrios wrote:
    it's a patti smith cover? i never knew. not a fan of using the n word, but that song is just heavy as fuck.
    Yep...saw her perform it at Lolla last August :)
  • demetrios wrote:

Ditto. I remember the first time (yes, I was around when it was originally released ;) ) I heard it I thought "uh-oh...Patti Smith really went there!" The song ruffled a few feathers when it came out. I found a blurb on Last FM that I think sums up her lyical intentions when she wrote that song:

"Consider that, as a slam poet before slam poetry even existed, she's always thrown words and how we use them into people's faces and demanded we deal with them. Don't judge by one word, but rather by how and why it's used."
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    just saw Manson for the first time here in St. Louis @ the Pageant and i was suprisingly amazed how good the show was..he has a presence on that stage for sure

also Twiggy is back which was a nice suprise to see
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I saw Manson back in 1996 at a small club. The show was the night before Antichrist Superstar was released. I decided to go because I liked his cover of Sweet Dreams (it was all over MTV) and because of stories I had heard people say, like "he tears up a Bible", etc.

The show was awesome - one of the best I've seen in a small club. I didn't know any of the songs (except for Sweet Dreams), but the theatricality of it was really cool. Ended up getting AS and Mechanical Animals - and I still got 'em.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • a couple people have mentioned OURS, i wont miss them then.

tonights the night!!!!!!!!!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    sort of surprised to hear he played "rock n roll nigger". and "tourniquet"!

i lost all intrest after Holy Wood. Holy Wood is probably strongest album IMO, but i just grew out of him.

did he play: Lunchbox, Misery Machine, Great Big White World, Mister Superstar, Coma White, Coma Black, or Kinderfeld?

he actually played great big white world which is my favorite song, i love it...none of the other ones though :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL

More than manson, I want to see the opening band, OURS, they're amazing live and they rarely tour on the west coast, so it's a great opportunity to see them for those who haven't heard of them before.[/QUOT

the lead singer of Ours was Jeff Buckley's guitar tech. You can TOTALLY hear, see and tell he was completely inspired by Jeff. His image, his sound ,his lyrics, and his voice is almost identical
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    I've seen Manson about four times with the last time coming in about 10 years ago. Every show I've seen him, he's always done an outstanding job. My fave live songs just b/c of the theatrics have to be Kinderfeld and Antichrist Superstar.

yeah. He played three songs in a row off of Antichrist Superstar and for all of them he had the podium out. he stood up there, screaming like a madman and burned the bible!

god, Marilyn Manson is the shit.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • im off to the show, pics to follow in the morn.....
    9th row center baby!!!!!!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEPENT! thats what im talking about!!!!!!!
  • I saw him in 2001 during Ozzfest. He stole the show(and that particular year had the original Black Sabbath).

yeah... that's where i'm coming from. i never liked him until i saw him at ozzfest '01. and everyone who was there still describes it exactly the same way:

"he stole the show."

he really did.
  • I would go back to a manson show if he promised to just play Portrait in all its glory.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • so , uh yeah...i just got back from the show...there are pics to come....i will pick my jaw off the floor and get back to you.

there will be spoilers to follow,

if you have show coming up and dont want to know what happens at the shows...dont read ahead....the people in this thread have been holding out on you.....ill tell you what really goes down..... :eek:
  • Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • soooo just let me say that nobody cared to mention:

the fake humans that are actually robots and their heads fall off
    the snow
    the shit falling from the roof
    the house lights were on for the first 1/3rd of the show! weird

podium and bible burning were mentioned..

this guy is a showman. amazing to see. great seatlist as far as i was concerned.......what a show...again, didnt want it to end...quite the weekend, two sold out shows in vancouver.

youtube video links to follow
  • I saw him on the Mechanical Animals tour. I wasn't into Manson at the time - I was more interested in Monster Magnet, who was scheduled to open the show. By the time the show rolled around, Magnet was thrown off the tour - I almost blew off the show, but my buddies convinced to go. I was blown away - what a f'n show he puts on. Even if you're not crazy about his music, you'll be entertained by the spectacle. I've been a fan ever since.