Live/Mental Jewelry

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I just barely started listening to this cd, because I felt like I had engraved all of Throwing Copper into my brain...anyways, I think it's wonderful and to me it has an almost spiritual sense to it...

Just interested to hear some other thoughts.
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,140
    Worst +LIVE+ album imo.
    Mexico City 17/7/2003 Mexico City 18/7/2003 Mexico City 19/7/2003 Santiago Chile 22/11/2005 Santiago Chile 23/11/2005 Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011 Santiago Chile 16/11/2011 Lima Perú 18/11/2011 Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013 Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013 Santiago Chile 06/5/2013 Santiago Chile 4/11/2015 Buenos Aires Argentina 7/11/2015 Porto Alegre Brasil 11/11/2015 Sao Paulo Brasil 14/11/2015 Brasilia Brasil 17/11/2015 Belo Horizonte Brasil 20/11/2015 Rio de Janeiro Brasil 22/11/2015 Bogota Colombia 25/11/2015 Mexico City 28/11/2015 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 8/4/2016 Miami, FL 9/4/2016 Tampa, FL 11/4/2016 Santiago Chile 13/3/2018 Santiago Chile 16/3/2018 Rome Italy 26/6/2018 Prague Czech Republic 1/7/2018 Krakow Poland 3/7/2018 Berlin Germany 5/7/2018 Barcelona Spain 10/7/2018 Dana Point, CA 1/10/2021 Dana Point, CA 2/10/2021 Seattle, WA 28/05/2024 Seattle, WA 30/05/2024
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    I just barely started listening to this cd, because I felt like I had engraved all of Throwing Copper into my brain...anyways, I think it's wonderful and to me it has an almost spiritual sense to it...

Just interested to hear some other thoughts.

I haven't listened to that CD in years, for me it is very hard to listen to... I like Secret Samadhi a lot though, I need to rip their CDs to iTunes tonight!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,702
    Pain Lies on the Riverside is a great tune.
    Decent album overall.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Great CD

I used to love this band, but they kind of dissapoint me nowadays.

Stick with their first 5 cd's and you've got some good stuff
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I don't listen to this one as much as Throwing Copper, but there are some gems on it.

Beauty of Grey is a great song.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    kind of funny reading all the slag on this album, I remember hearding Ed K even say something to the effect of even HE doesn't like that album because they wrote all those songs when they were 16/17 years old ... they were sick of them by the time the album was eventually released.

Pretty sure it was an interview I saw where he said that ...
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    They were quite young when they released Mental Jewelry. I remember being a freshman in high school when "Operation Spirit" was in the Buzz Bin on MTV.

Their unplugged performance was quite good...I found it at a indie record shop about 9 years ago...had some other good acoustic songs on it as well.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    GhostChile wrote:
    Worst +LIVE+ album imo.

Yeah, aside from a few tunes, it isn't one of their best, but it is better than the last two, which have been utter rubbish. I'm not sure they will ever reach the heights of Throwing Copper again.
    I'm not sure they will ever reach the heights of Throwing Copper again.

Yeah, I remember getting Secret Samadhi and being really let down. It's a good album...but Copper was a hard act to follow.

PBM

Yeah, I remember getting Secret Samadhi and being really let down. It's a good album...but Copper was a hard act to follow.

PBM

Yeah I agree, how ironic then that I would kill to have even another Secret Samadhi from them now - better than the cheesy shit they bring out these days. Oh and Lakini's juice is still an awesome song, even with its dodgy lyrics!
    Lakini's Juice

I was so optimistic with that single...it's quite good.

Where does the song Supernatural come from? I have a really good acoustic version of that song.

PBM

I was so optimistic with that single...it's quite good.

Where does the song Supernatural come from? I have a really good acoustic version of that song.

PBM

Not sure where that song is from, doesn't ring a bell......

I think The Distance To Here had its moments. Ever wonder if a lot of the reason you fall for an album is to do with the time in your life that it appears? Throwing Copper evokes so many memories, kind of bittersweet, same goes for a lot of those mid 90's records. I'm getting all nostalgic now!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,702

PBM
    http://www.livediscography.com/lcr_sec5_supernatural.html
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I thought it was pretty good overall, but as many have stated, Throwing Copper was a masterpiece. I thoroughly enjoyed Secret Samadhi and The Distance to Here, and I thought V was a great album despite the negativity I heard about it. I've never listened to all of Birds of Prey or Songs From Black Mountain.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
    I think it's their best, it was Live in their true form. Throwing Copper was too polished and Secret Samahdi was too much of a "back to basics" album to matter; Aside from Turn My Head.

I don't think they like it any more because if they did...They'd be hypocrites!! All this music about Buddhism and stuff only to find out later on that Ed K would become Christian.

Its still astounding how fresh and tight it sounds for a bunch of 18 year old guys. Ed K's voice is totally original and was their bass heavy sound.
    "Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
  • ecd1973ecd1973 Posts: 30
    I can pinpoint the exact lyrical moment when LIVE became a dead band to me. They can resurrect themselves one day, but for now they are somewhere...else...

Actual Lyric from "Transmit Your Love" on the album "V"

bow, bow
    everybody body in the hotel
    bow, bow
    everybody in the motel
    don't knock if the door to my suite is closed
    you should of come to the show but you didn't,
    now you're wishin' that you had had to go to jimmy buffet
    with your dad
    with LIVE, its game seven every single night
    you have to put it on the line to step inside

Ah LIVE... I really do miss you, but that is some terrible crap right there.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

-- Willy Wonka