Bands for People who like PJ's Slower songs?

et21et21 Posts: 112
edited May 2008 in Other Music
I'm branching out my musical tastes. I've used lists of bands that are good from several sources, but I feel a bit overwhelmed at the amount of choices. I think a more direct route would be to ask people who know a bit about music and who share the same favorite band.

For PJ, what really captivated me was their slower songs. I love every era they have done, but the ones that stand out are the heartfelt, thoughtful ones with meaningful lyrics that I can relate to. I also love how they have evolved and changed over the years and like to take risks. Anybody have any recommendations of any bands that I might enjoy?
I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJPJ Posts: 291
    Check out Wintersleep, many people compare them to pearl jam and most of their songs are "slower". good lyrics too.
    2006-06-01 E. Rutherford 1
    2008-06-24 NYC: MSG 1
    2008-06-25 NYC: MSG 2
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    TMynes wrote:
    Check out Wintersleep, many people compare them to pearl jam and most of their songs are "slower". good lyrics too.
    I wholeheartedly agree.. Wintersleep are amazing.

I'm seeing them live on Monday and am ridiculously excited :)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Check out Mark Lanegan's solo albums. He is an great song writer. I agree with Wintersleep too. Can't go wrong with either.
  • substitutesubstitute Posts: 14
    Agree with Lanegan, and will find some Wintersleep too. As for Lanegan, try bubblegum and the Gutter Twins album. Neither are all slow songs, all a bit of a mix, but Front Street, the last track on Saturnalia is freakishly awesome.
    I don't need what you have to give
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    brian vander ark formerly of the Verve Pipe
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    Happy to see so much love for Wintersleep - they are wonderful. My Morning Jacket "Z" is a pretty stellar record to check out as well.
  • R.E.M. is a biggie for me, if that's not already on your list of obviously PJ-related music. Others off the top of my head: Ben Harper, The Frames (or Glen Hansard's solo stuff from the film "Once" also works fantastically), Ted Leo, Chris Cornell's FIRST solo effort "Euphoria Morning", Death Cab, Jack Johnson, My Morning Jacket, Ryan Adams, Raine Maida's solo CD "The Hunter's Lullaby"
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • et21et21 Posts: 112
    Thanks for all the responses so far. Anybody have anymore?
    I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.