Type O Negative

TrauTrau Posts: 188
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Any fans?
In the shadow of the light from a black sun
Frigid statue standing icy blue and numb
Where are the frost giants Ive begged for protection?
I'm freezing

Are you afraid, afraid to die
Don't be afraid, afraid to try
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Best blood type ever.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • TrauTrau Posts: 188
    Sooth! But also a fantastic band.

They're fairly eclectic, but tend toward hard rock/heavy metal with a gothic tint. By gothic I don't mean those jokes you saw in high school, but in its true literary sense. Darkness, despair, decay, some of the supernatural. A lot of this is conveyed through dark humor, and the band is quite adept at self-deprecation.

A lot of people have described them as Black Sabbath meets the Beatles, and I wouldn't call that an inaccurate description.
    I'm freezing

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    saw them live around '95. show was good enough (nice cover of Cinnamon Girl) however not enough for me to check anything out. I guess the fact they are still around is impressive enough to give something a closer listen.
  • I saw the preview for that new ping-pong comedy, I realized where I've seen the main star with the sideburns from.

He was the creepy dude in Type O's video "I don't wanna be me".
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
    transplant wrote:
    saw them live around '95. show was good enough (nice cover of Cinnamon Girl) however not enough for me to check anything out. I guess the fact they are still around is impressive enough to give something a closer listen.

Yeah, their cover of Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl is pretty good. At the time you saw them, they only had two albums out, Slow, Deep, and Hard and Bloody Kisses. I think the two later albums October Rust and World Coming Down are far superior to those. They actually have a new album coming out March 13th, called Dead Again.

http://www.typeonegative.net has one of the tracks from the new album, which is called "These Three Things". It's about 14 minutes long, and about the first minute and a half is a slow dirge; then it picks up. Love the bass-line.

Here's their video for the aforementioned Cinnamon Girl: http://youtube.com/watch?v=hZvUtclCexQ

And the "I Don't Wanna Be Me" video that sapper mentioned: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Du1DUIQ_1LY
    I'm freezing

• i like
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • I love me some Type O. I'm actually going to see them at the Starland Ballroom on March 29th. Can't wait!
    I'll cut you in.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Musically they're good... but the effects the vocalist uses just doesn't agree with me. I listen to Life is Killing Me the odd time... but I won't rule them out until I've seen them live.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Love em, I saw them live a couple of years ago and they were amazing. The problem most people have with them is that they take them way to seriously.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Decent Band

However their shirtless sweaty muscle- bound meathead fans are another story. A bit homo-erotic for my tastes
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Decent Band

However their shirtless sweaty muscle- bound meathead fans are another story. A bit homo-erotic for my tastes

hahaha... my friends would love you for saying that. :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    Decent Band

How about the COMPLETELY NUDE lead singer Peter Steele holding his junk in Playgirl.

I'm not sure if it was previous to his fame or what? A buddy of mine interviewed him on the radio and talked about the Playgirl spread the whole time. Not one time did they talk about the band. Kind of weird.
  • How about the COMPLETELY NUDE lead singer Peter Steele holding his junk in Playgirl.

I'm not sure if it was previous to his fame or what? A buddy of mine interviewed him on the radio and talked about the Playgirl spread the whole time. Not one time did they talk about the band. Kind of weird.

He's a big boy.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • he has an awesome sense of humour too. not many americans get irony (or so i have been told ;) )!
  • He's a big boy.

Ha ha ha. LOL.
  • I actually find Mr. Steele to be a tad scary. My friend and I came to the conclusion that he isn't actually a man, but rather a shaved sasquatch.
    I'll cut you in.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like them some. They do great covers.

Loving you is like Lovin the Dead

I liked October Rust the best.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Arctangent wrote:
    he has an awesome sense of humour too. not many americans get irony (or so i have been told ;) )!

Oh, I get irony

However, any irony having to do with that big freak with his cock out;

I'll be happy to get from a far far distance, with no pictures
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Type o rule. The new song (these 3 things) is cool.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    I love me some Type O. I'm actually going to see them at the Starland Ballroom on March 29th. Can't wait!

I'm hoping to see them in San Francisco on April 18th. 8)
    I'm freezing

How about the COMPLETELY NUDE lead singer Peter Steele holding his junk in Playgirl.

Well he did it after their second album, I believe, so they were already known. He pretty much did it to get their name recognition up if I remember.

Here's a recent interview he did, about 20 minutes long, in which he gives probably one of the most thorough explanations of that incident:

http://www.indie1031.com/podcasts/chaos.pcast
    I'm freezing

Love em, I saw them live a couple of years ago and they were amazing. The problem most people have with them is that they take them way to seriously.

I saw them in January at the House of Blues in Anaheim. It was a great show.

But I swear there were so many chicks literally shrieking at the top of their lungs that my eardrums were nearly blown out. >:|

Stupid Playgirl spread!
    I'm freezing

Arctangent wrote:
    he has an awesome sense of humour too.

That's one of the things I love about the band. A lot of their subject matter is quite deep and quite dark, and though they usually treat it seriously, they frequently use black humor as well. Sometimes you have to laugh at yourself, no matter how fucked up things are.
    I'm freezing

• I love Type O Negative, they're my second favorite band. The music is so versatile: you can have an atmospheric gothic feel, a fun punk feel, a heavy thrash metal feel, or a hilarious feel all on the same album. I can't wait for the new album coming out on March 13th.

My concern is that it's rumoured Pete has gone all religious on us, as is depicted on the new song These Three Things. He might be being sarcastic with all the religious aspects of the songs, but I'd have to listen to the full album to be sure. Religious or not, it's gonna be great music.
    I love Type O Negative, they're my second favorite band. The music is so versatile: you can have an atmospheric gothic feel, a fun punk feel, a heavy thrash metal feel, or a hilarious feel all on the same album. I can't wait for the new album coming out on March 13th.

Exactly. And I love the way Pete plays his bass, with distortion and a number of other effects. He's inspired me to pick up a bass, myself.
    My concern is that it's rumoured Pete has gone all religious on us, as is depicted on the new song These Three Things. He might be being sarcastic with all the religious aspects of the songs, but I'd have to listen to the full album to be sure. Religious or not, it's gonna be great music.

Surely if we can take "Christian Woman", we can take "These Three Things" ? ;)
    I'm freezing

• I started a thread on here a while back about Type O, but it got like three responses. Glad to see other PJ fans also into the drab four. Dead Again is a righteous album. And I have NO problems with Pete's quasi-xtian lyrics either.
    Yeah.

I really can't wait to have the album sans watermarks!
    I'm freezing

• larslars Posts: 524
    "This recording is a property of type o negative, brooklyn, n.y."
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i saw them twice in two years on Halloween at the Troc right after World Coming Down came out. very good band, but Pete told alot of the same jokes at both shows so that kind of bumed me out. October Rust and World Coming Down are awesome... not really intrested in this band nowadays though.
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    I love me some Type O. I'm actually going to see them at the Starland Ballroom on March 29th. Can't wait!

hey i wanna get tickets to that show too! they started off as a guilty pleasure for me back when christian woman and black no. 1 was on the radio back in '94, i never heard anything like that before and i thought i was wrong for liking it so much! then they slowly grew on me more and more now i'd say they are in definitely in my top 5 bands.
    i saw them a few years ago at the electric factory in philly. they actually OPENED for cradle of filth! they put on a great show. i was kinda shocked they'd be opening for them but it turned out to be a good thing because i hung around for a few songs from cradle and got the hell outta there. i was scared.
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"