DMB crowd

Drop1The0LeashDrop1The0Leash Posts: 954
edited June 2008 in Other Music
So i work for the Saratoga Performing Arts Center this summer setting up and taking down shows and last night was the annual Dave show. I must say they are some of the most annoying people and the biggest group of assholes ive ever experienced. It seemed like 50% of the crowd was there to get wasted beyond belief and not enjoy the music. I felt like i was working one giant frat party. Sorry if noone cares but i just worked a 22 an1/2 hour day for that concert and im pissed off.
2006: Albany
2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
2010: Boston, MSG I
2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I see where you're coming from. I've been to quite a few shows, and at some shows you run into the worst fans. I went to Darien Lake last week and I couldn't believe how idiotic DMB fans were. I swear I was at a back street boys concert. I went to see them again in Toronto the night after and I sweat it was a totally different crowd.

From what I hear seeing DMB for some ppl in highschool or college is the thing to do whether you know the band/music or not. So half of the fans there don't know the music, get completely wasted and act like fools.

I'll never go to Darien Lake to see a DMB show every again, but on the other hand I don't think I'll miss them in Toronto next time they come around because that was an awesome show.

Carter rocks!
  • The show seemed like it was a pretty good one. They played a great cover of Pink Floyds- Money. I feel like Dave is an EV wannabe but thats just me.

Anyways your right about the large high school population. They were all coming to get wasted in the parking lot and come in and fuck around. I dont know if ill ever spend money on a ticket to DMB
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • Dave Matthews fans wear birkenstocks, drive jeeps, drink alot of beer, and lose their fucking mind when a dude spends 20 minutes jamming on an acoustic guitar.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/71/218423180_1ee20a1a49.jpg?v=0

Just remember, you can't spell "dumbass" without DMB
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I love their music - one of my favorite bands, but I definitely agree. I saw them in Cleveland last year, and I saw a girl in a one piece dress, high heels, her hair all done up, makeup on, and a Louis Vouton purse - her boyfriend in a Lacosse polo tucked into his chinos and boating shoes on with his hair jelled. I laughed in their face, basically. Their fans completely ruin it - they just go because it's the cool thing to do, while people like myself go because DMB puts on one hell of show and make some great music. I mean, whenever I talked about Phish, WSP, or Warren Haynes my friends give me blank looks...but they "love" DMB.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    I see Dave every summer and I make sure to get tickets in the seats, and aviod those kind of people in the lawn.

Then again, when you put ten to twenty thousand people in a venue, there's bound to be a lot of assholes.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    I go every year at Alpine Valley, and yeah we tailgate in the grass lots all day before the show, but we're all good people and really enjoy the music. We have seen our share of dicks though and know exactly the kind of people you're talking about.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    'everyday' by dmb has been on repeat. great song!
    never been to one of their concerts but SO many people from my school go to all their concerts so i hear about it a lot!
    proud to be one of the only ones (i only have 1 friend who knows who pearl jam is/is a fan) who <3's the jam
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Probably the worst fans of any artist with the exception of ICP.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Saw them in St. Louis a couple weeks ago. It was an awesome show, but we ended up moving because there were a lot of annoying people next to us in our seats. They kept talking and texting on their cell phones the entire show, they were drunk and falling on us, and yelling stupid shit the whole time. Why bother going to a concert if you are just going to drink and send text messages? I can do that at home.

We actually moved further away from the stage and had a much better time.
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Gonna see them for the first time next month...Hope I am not disappointed...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • drew0 wrote:
    I love their music - one of my favorite bands, but I definitely agree. I saw them in Cleveland last year, and I saw a girl in a one piece dress, high heels, her hair all done up, makeup on, and a Louis Vouton purse - her boyfriend in a Lacosse polo tucked into his chinos and boating shoes on with his hair jelled. I laughed in their face, basically. Their fans completely ruin it - they just go because it's the cool thing to do, while people like myself go because DMB puts on one hell of show and make some great music. I mean, whenever I talked about Phish, WSP, or Warren Haynes my friends give me blank looks...but they "love" DMB.

Ha ha ha.... I was at Darien Lake too. My buddies are these "assholes" you speak of. They "love DMB" yet don't ever listen to his music. Don't get me wrng I don't own a damn CD from DMB and never really listen to them but my ticket was free and it was something cool to experiance. I even still call Dave a "Hollister" band because the sad part is that either the majority of the Dave "fans" are a fake hippy that likes to fight or they live at Hollister and spend mommy and daddy's money on $96 fucking T-shirts. These are also the same kids that think it's cool and fun to get cocked and start fights at parties. The sad part is that Darien Lake breeds these types of people. When Tom Petty comes nearly every year to Darien you get the same type of people.

The music was cool, his performance rocked but I didn't know any of the songs except his radio hits. Overall it's a cool experiance and I can see why his hard core fans love him like we love PJ.
  • I've been to 10 DMB shows, and while I don't listen to them nearly as much as I used to, I still consider myself a pretty big fan. And I agree, the crowds can be awful. I remember seeing them at Cuyahoga Falls in 06 and these drunk idiots spilled fulls beers all over an older guy who was just trying to watch the show. Very lame.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    I just don't understand it. I have seen them twice and I just don't get what draws that crowd to their music.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I'm not a DMB fan, but I think any band that develops a cult like obsessive fanbase can have that problem. And I know that some people here will be offended, but PJ fans can be as obnoxious as anyone. The Eddie Vedder show I went to in Vancouver was almost too much for me to handle, I couldn't enjoy the show because dumb drunk jackasses were constantly trying to have personal conversations with Ed, or yelling genius remarks like "lollapalooza 1992!!". Honestly after that I let my tenclub membership expire and just thought, this is all a little too much..I'll enjoy the music from a distance and be fine with it.
    Funny thing is, I checked out My Morning Jacket's forums the other day and they seem to have a similar thing going on there, so I'm trying to stay clear of that as well, even though I love the band.
    Its just kind of sad that people lose sight of the music and just become fundamentalist fans.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    I'm a big DMB fan and have to agree although I don't think it's as bad as it used to be. That said, I've dealt with a good number of really, really annoying PJ fans/crowds too.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    it's all wal-mart's fault!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    2 options

1) go see DMB
    2) get herpes

It would be a tough choice.
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Posts: 888
    Dave Matthews fans wear birkenstocks, drive jeeps, drink alot of beer, and lose their fucking mind when a dude spends 20 minutes jamming on an acoustic guitar.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/71/218423180_1ee20a1a49.jpg?v=0

Just remember, you can't spell "dumbass" without DMB
    Calm down, not all Jeep drivers are dumbasses!
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Widespread Panic is the same way, although they have more of the actual hippies then the preppy crowd that DMB gets. Widespread shows are great, but sometimes their fans can drive you nuts.

My last WSP show I had great seats, but I there were tons of hippies around me doing and dealing every kind of drug you can imagine. Most of them were there for the scene more than anything else.

I think the key to these shows is if you're around annoying people, try to move. Get GA tickets and try standing next to someone who is at the show for the same reason you are - the music.