Drive By Truckers

ISUalISUal Posts: 40
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I picked up "A Blessing and a Curse" two days ago, and my mind is just being blown. This is possibly one of the best albums I've heard in awhile (i'm not getting "Icky Thump" till tomorrow, so that could change). The music is amazing, and the lyrics are absolutely brilliant in the blunt, accurate, and beautifully morose pictures they create. Favorites are "Aftermath USA" (which sounds like every meth head i've ever known) and "Goodbye". I'm sure this album has been discussed on this thread, but i'm just digging it too much not to mention it.
"I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    If you were that impressed by ABAAC - your mind will be absolutely be blown by Dirty South, Decoration Day and (to a different extent) Southern Rock Opera.

also, the solo disc from Jason Isbell is going to be solid - out a month from today.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Yep, pick up A Dirty South and Decoration Day as soon as possible. The back catalog will quickly fill in after that. I was listening to Gangstabilly (the first DBT album) today and was inspired to change my sig.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • ISUalISUal Posts: 40
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to get Dirty South and Southern Rock Opera. Both sound to be incredible listens as well.
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    ISUal wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to get Dirty South and Southern Rock Opera. Both sound to be incredible listens as well.

Dirty South, most definately one of the best albums I've bought since 2000.:)
    You also need to get a hold of the DVD, Live at the 40w Club, taken from the Dirty South tour, awesome easily my favourite music DVD in my collection.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I'll echo earlier statements...ABAAC is good, but Decoration Day and The Dirty South are the gems of their collection. Southern Rock Opera is also very good.

Sad to see Jason go.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I agree to all of the above statements by my fellow DBT fans.

Tybird

(currently in Jackson, Wyoming on vacation)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Check out their live shows on http://www.archive.org as well.
    You can stream or download a big collection.

Let me suggest Washington DC from 2006 as well as Lancaster, PA from 9/29/06.

Good shows.
    ;)
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    They are probably my favorite band out right now, and if they keep coming out with solid albums like they have been...they will be my fave ever
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    ISUal wrote:

i've got em all and decoration day is my favorite. that said, you wont be disappointed with the others. they all have great songs, i just feel that decoration day and blessing and a curse are the best from start to finish. i'm gonna see isbell tonight.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Let us know how that goes man..he is one very very gifted person.
    ledhed43 wrote:
    i'm gonna see isbell tonight.

Man...that Memphis show is tonight, isn't it.

I swear, if I wasn't going to Beale next weekend, I would be down at that show. Small venue...kind of a hometown show for Jason. Should be great.

Give us a report tomorrow.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    Check out their live shows on http://www.archive.org as well.
    You can stream or download a big collection.

Let me suggest Washington DC from 2006 as well as Lancaster, PA from 9/29/06.

Good shows.
    ;)

Oh, snap! Thanks pilate! I hadn't thought to look on archive for DBT shows.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Oh, snap! Thanks pilate! I hadn't thought to look on archive for DBT shows.

You wont be dissapointed, theres loads.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    he is a badass. his backing band the 400 unit is also badass. i stood right next to the stage, i can't hear anything today. i was really impressed with the guitarist of 400 unit he played some of jasons solo's and they were dead on. sometimes he and jason did some lead together also very nice. they did awesome covers of psycho killer and van morrison's into the mystic. he played some dbt classics: decoration day, outfit, goddamn lonely love. oh and dress blues which was a shock cause last time dbt was in memphis he said he was playing dress blues for the last time for a long time. the new stuff sounds really good i cant wait for the album. also jason is a real nice guy, we hung out after the show and met him. my friend got a setlist signed. we complimented his band and they were like "thanks nobody ever tells us that we're that good." so if you go see them and its a small friendly venue dont be too shy to tell them you dig their music. theyre good southern people and they'll say thanks and look you in the eye when they shake your hand. its hard not to pull for somebody like that to have a long successful career doing whatever they choose. enough for now time to go to work.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
    I wanted to go to that show last night...but Thursday shows aren't a good mix for me...especially at a venue 3 hours away.

Glad it was a good show.

He's been saying that he isn't going to play Dress Blues anymore for the past 9 months...but it's such a moving song that I think folks request it a lot.

I hope to see him in Nashville in Aug.

The new album is great and I'm glad to see him mix in some DBT into the setlist.

By the way, I've never been to Hi-Tone...is it pretty small? $10 cover charge isn't bad at all.

PBM

ledhed43 wrote:
    he played some dbt classics: decoration day, outfit, goddamn lonely love. oh and dress blues

Ohhh those are some of my favorite DBT tunes!

How long was the set, ledhed? I'm seeing him tomorrow at a street festival, where he only gets an hour - but he's also playing a small club here tonight, and I'm debating going to that too.
    ledhed43 wrote:
    i stood right next to the stage, i can't hear anything today.

Aw, man...invest in some quality earplugs! I picked these up a few months ago and they are so amazing, I don't go to any shows without them now:

http://www.earlove.net/

You can hear everything perfectly - just sounds like the volume has been turned down a notch. No ringing ears the next day, and no permanent hearing damage...I hope to still be going to shows when I'm old, and being able to actually hear them!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    By the way, I've never been to Hi-Tone...is it pretty small? $10 cover charge isn't bad at all.

PBM

yea its pretty small. its gotta be one of the worst ventilated venues, it's like being in a wood burning oven. everybody smells like sweat and cigarettes after a show. there was a good size crowd, the room looked full but you could still move around and get to the bar.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
    ledhed43 wrote:
    yea its pretty small. its gotta be one of the worst ventilated venues, it's like being in a wood burning oven. everybody smells like sweat and cigarettes after a show. there was a good size crowd, the room looked full but you could still move around and get to the bar.

Seeing them at the New Daisy last fall was great...that is my ideal location to see a show in Memphis. We got some beer and platooned up in the balcony all night.

One of my favorite shows to date.

PBM

they probably played for 2 hours maybe a little less. i dont know really. there were 2 opening bands that started at 10 and isbell played til 1:30 or 2.

yea i will never go without earplugs again. i have some cheap ones but i forgot them cause i was in a rush. i am definately going to invest in some nicer ones, cause my left ear has been ringing all day. i can't played cd's very loud and i dont dare turn on my electric guitar, i can't live like this. i now understand why so many people with tinnitus kill themselves. i hope mine is just temporary.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
    ledhed43 wrote:
    they probably played for 2 hours maybe a little less. i dont know really. there were 2 opening bands that started at 10 and isbell played til 1:30 or 2.

I hate when they do this...DBT didn't come on until 10 in Nashville a few years back...they played for 3 hours...but I was dead-tired. Yeah, I'm old and set in my ways. :)
    ledhed43 wrote:
    i now understand why so many people with tinnitus kill themselves. i hope mine is just temporary.

That's happened to me quite a few times after shows (Pantera comes to mind)...luckily my hearing came back within a day.

PBM

Cool, thanks ledhed. I got my ticket for tonight!! :D

Sorry to sound like a total nag about the earplug thing, btw ;) My mom actually has tinnitus, she says she doesn't notice it that much, but man, I think it would drive me nuts.
    My tinnitus is going away I think. Have fun at the show tonight. Let me know how it is. Jason said he couldn't wait to eat a big fucking pizza.

The DBT show at the new daisy was incredible. They played some of the older stuff that I had never heard live before. I wish I could catch a dirt underneath show, i think i might try to go to asheville, but it probably wont work out. So many social engagements, so little time.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
    Good idea to invest in earplugs. I bought myself a pair of these after the last time I saw the DBT in a small club and I my hearing was shot for a few days after:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

Well worth the $12, and reusable.

It occurs to me that its been just over a year since I saw the DBT last. Seems like it will be awhile yet still looking at the tour dates.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Saw them last night in RVA..I have 4 DBT records and I knew about 2 songs...wasn't thrilled...plus their show poster was 50 bucks...autographed but still 50 bucks
    The Isbell sets were great this weekend! He played all the Patterson/DBT songs you mentioned, and his own stuff sounds pretty good too! They did the "Psycho Killer" cover - which I'd seen them do when they opened for Son Volt earlier this year - and they also covered "American Girl" which was pretty sweet :D

I heard he's also touring with Centro-matic later this summer? I really wouldn't mind seeing him again.
  • Just saw them last Friday at Brown's Island in Richmond, VA for a free show and they played a few songs off the new album they will begin recording soon. The new songs are insanely good. The said they are recording I believe within the next 3 months. I know what to expect with DBT in that anything they put out will be quality but man the songs were mindblowing. The show rocked as well. Zero songs off of ABAAC and only 1 off of Dirty South and 1 off of Decoration Day. It was awesome hearing a lot of their older stuff, although I love DD and DS. I am assuming they did this becuase of the guitar player the brought back in doesn't really know the newer stuff that Isabell played on too well. I wish Isabell was still there, something was missing but amazing show non the less.
  • bobasfeet do you not own Southern Rock Opera because they played a lot off of that album? You should pick up the 1st two albums as well, they are great, a bunch were played off of those as well. I admit I wanted to hear a few off of the newer albums but I have seen them a lot so for me I was thrilled to get a bunch of the older songs they don't seem to play as much. The posters are usually specific to each show they do, kind of like Pearl Jam. The artists for the posters is a great artist by the name of Wes Freed who lives in RVA that is why they seem expensive but for many they are collector's items. At the Plan 9 show they did awhile back they gave away exclusive Wes Freed posters for free which was awesome.
    bobasfeet wrote:
    their show poster was 50 bucks...autographed but still 50 bucks
    I would have gladly plunked that amount for a Wes Freed poster signed by the band. :)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    I would have gladly plunked that amount for a Wes Freed poster signed by the band. :)

I've got a framed Dirty South cover print signed by the band (including Isbell). Won it through a local indie record shop.

merkinball wrote:
    I've got a framed Dirty South cover print signed by the band (including Isbell). Won it through a local indie record shop.
    Sweeeeet......I only have the Freed poster from the 20th anniversary (of Patterson & Cooley working together) show that they played in Birmingham back in 2005. No autos....:(