details about Zeitgeist here:

sasojsasoj Posts: 239
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Details on New Smashing Pumpkins Album.

Body: thanks Apolidia...

thanks PUMPKIN QUEEN most of all!!

The Future Embrace was sort of a one off experimental thing, when Billy could experiment outside of the band setting and explore some of his synth pop indulgences - TPQ didn't know if he would explore this route again in the future, but it is not indicative at all of the new album.

The new album is heavy, and they have taken it down from 50 - 25 songs to 12-14 or so?
However that doesn't mean it's a single album, but could be indicitave - however TPQ did mention that there is one insanely long and heavy song with massive drum buildups.

They are working 12 hour days 5-6(?) days a week - shje laughed that on thanksgiving weekend that because they took off the friday, they where back in on the Sunday.

Something funny she noted was Billy's utter commitment to sound, this isn't like a conventional recording. One of the reasons it is taking so long is Billy's utter dedication to finding that perfect sound - he will listen back to takes then spend 4 hours re-recording one particular facet because he wants a certain pedal hooke dup to a certain sounding guitar for only a minimal part of a song - she said she was amazed at the way he knows exactly how she wants it to sound.

The flag is not the new album cover - Billy did design it, but it's meaning is ambiguous.

They have an artist doing the cover - Banksy was considered but then rejected.

Album thematically - it still deals with the usual Billy heart/ break up songs - but has a sort of revolutionary vibe throughout it, but not blatant - there is a dissatisfaction with things are in the USA but it's not as blatant as say Green Days American idiot for example.

This album may take a while to 'get' like Machina etc - it reveals itself over time.

There are a few singles which should do well commercially, but everyone who has heard it so far is really excited, espescially the band management.

This isn't going to leak at all, it apparently isn't possible. Apparently BC leaked TFE...

If TPQ was to compare songs from the pumpkins back catalogue to ones that are on the new album she suggested one track reminded her of 'bodies' and another of 'zero'

we also saw alot of equipment pictures, but Izzle was more into that than me, so he can answers whatever.

There was a funny pic of the drum tracks for one song and it was like 20-30 tracks alone just for the drums or something, again my knowledge is vague.

Also there is apparently NO animosity between Billy and the other band members, much of that is just press bullshit apparently.

We know that the Pumpkins are playing Reading - at which point the album will be out, they will be touring Europe before the US, the album has approx 14 tracks, it is heavy with guitar solos on at least half the songs, they are rehearsing old songs as well, there is a big emphasis on organic drum sounds, the album does have 'some synths', a lot of the songs are very long, they will keep the band alive as long as they feel they are still relevant - it's not a one album deal

by the way...you can download machina II for free here:

http://www.thepumpkins.net/music/music_-_machina_ii.html
i love rock chicks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Just curious, who is in the band besides Billy and Jimmy? Is the old band actually back together, or did he pull an Axl Rose and hire a bunch of backing musicians?
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    just billy and jimmy
    i love rock chicks
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    No James or Melissa/D'arcy?

That's not really Smashing Pumpkins then to me.
    so what if james and darcy are not playing?
    the cure, NiN...and 100000000 other bands changed their lineups
    fuck man....even the beatles had a diffrent bass player at the start
    i love rock chicks
  • sasoj wrote:
    just billy and jimmy
    We don't know that. It's a secret for now which makes me think Billy's up to something.

I hope James is back, but D'arcy is worthless. James is one of the more solid second guitars in rock music I think,.. I'll take Mellissa Auf Dem Maur annnnnyday over D'arcy.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting really excited about this :D

What's the tentative release date? May something?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    We don't know that. It's a secret for now which makes me think Billy's up to something.

well, we know that...cause their manager announced it...
    i love rock chicks
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    sasoj wrote:
    so what if james and darcy are not playing?
    the cure, NiN...and 100000000 other bands changed their lineups
    fuck man....even the beatles had a diffrent bass player at the start

Take it easy man, just my opinion, lol.

Im not too bothered about D'arcy or Melissa either, but James is a big part of the band and it'll be weird without him is all.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

I hope James is back, but D'arcy is worthless. James is one of the more solid second guitars in rock music I think,.. I'll take Mellissa Auf Dem Maur annnnnyday over D'arcy.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting really excited about this :D

What's the tentative release date? May something?

7/7/07
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • How can everybody that HAS been a pumpkins fan not get excited about this? I don't care if James or D'arcy aren't in this. This is gonna be a good one!
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • How can everybody that HAS been a pumpkins fan not get excited about this? I don't care if James or D'arcy aren't in this. This is gonna be a good one!

i'm excited...so excited...and i just can't hide it...

or...i'm so excited...i'm so excited...i'm so...scared...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    sasoj wrote:

This album may take a while to 'get' like Machina etc - it reveals itself over time.

This is what I'm afraid of. I don't plan on spinning this album 50 times until it reveals itself and I 'get it'. If I don't like it within a few listens I'll discard it...like I did with Machina. I wish Billy would just dumb it down to fit my feeble minded brain, quit fooling around with the obscure artsy shit, and just make a fucking rocker.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • culot4 wrote:
    This is what I'm afraid of. I don't plan on spinning this album 50 times until it reveals itself and I 'get it'. If I don't like it within a few listens I'll discard it...like I did with Machina. I wish Billy would just dumb it down to fit my feeble minded brain, quit fooling around with the obscure artsy shit, and just make a fucking rocker.
    That's a terrible way to listen to a record. You'll be amazed what Machina will give to you if you take the time to let it soak.

I loved it at first listen anyway... it's just gotten better and better everytime I hear it since. Same with Machina II and Adore.

And when did their manager say that James wasn't involved? I've never heard anything about it..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    i agree adore and machina are realy good, fresh sounding records...
    the band realy evolved on them...
    i love rock chicks
  • Cool! I can't wait to hear it :cool: :)

And I'm also interested to know about the rest of the band...
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    This sounds like it will be great!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22