Starz [3:41]
United States [9:50]
Never Lost [4:13] <- KEY TRACK
Bring The Light [3:35]
Come On (Let's Go) [3:15]
For God And Country [4:51]
Pomp And Circumstance [4:18]
Background:

Produced by Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin, with Roy Thomas Baker and Terry Date working separately on various tracks.
Billed as a "reunion", though only Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin are present.
It's the first Smashing Pumpkins album since 2000's Machina suite. In the interm Corgan has done one Zwan album and one solo album.
First Impressions:

Tracks #1 thru #7 are all aggresive, up-tempo guitar rock except for #4, "That's The Way", which is our guess for 1st single as it's the most "pop" track with a catchy verse and chorus.
"Never Lost" is one of the only ballad-y tracks. Like many of the Pumpkins' classics, it is low-key, but still driven by its composition and melodies. Plus there are strings.
The last two tracks are the only ones which are keyboard driven, with "Pomp And Circumstance" sporting timpani drums, choir-like vocals and squelching guitar.
Corgan's signature guitar tone is still as rich and forceful as it ever was.
As we have seen with the new lineup, Corgan's voice is what (supposedly) defines the Smashing Pumpkins as a band. But, much like in Zwan, here it seems that his natural angst is somewhat artificial and his screaming seems mellow in comparison the Pumpkins of the past.
Prediction:

With the recent commercial success of new bands like Silversun Pickups, it's uncertain whether or not the those outside the core SP fanbase will feel the need to reacquaint themselves with Smashing Pumpkins.

p.s.
who are the silversun pickups?
i love rock chicks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Very cool. Thank you for sharing. I'll be picking this up the day it comes out for sure!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    will you download the album when it leaks?
    i cant make up my mind...
    i am gonna go see them on the 16.6 in italy so i would like to
    know the new songs...
    i love rock chicks
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    sasoj wrote:
    will you download the album when it leaks?
    i cant make up my mind...
    i am gonna go see them on the 16.6 in italy so i would like to
    know the new songs...

I'm not a big fan of downloading leaks. I have always thought there is something special about getting an album the day it comes out.

now it seems there is more excitment and talk about an album the day it leaks then the actual day it is released.

i guess i'm old :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of downloading leaks. I have always thought there is something special about getting an album the day it comes out.

now it seems there is more excitment and talk about an album the day it leaks then the actual day it is released.

i guess i'm old :(
    I download leaks all the time but I love and respect the Pumpkins so much... I just want to do it the old fashioned way. It's gonna be hard though.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I download leaks all the time but I love and respect the Pumpkins so much... I just want to do it the old fashioned way. It's gonna be hard though.

Look at it this way it's still April and there is already a complete version of the album out there, it does'nt get released till July 7th, this thing is gonna leak at least a month before release.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Look at it this way it's still April and there is already a complete version of the album out there, it does'nt get released till July 7th, this thing is gonna leak at least a month before release.
    I know. I'll probably cave :(

"Make our day"

Tis gonna be a toughie for sure.:eek:
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239

i agree :)

is anyone else pumped up about the 10 min song?
    i hope its as good as XYU
    i love rock chicks
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    sasoj wrote:
    i agree :)

is anyone else pumped up about the 10 min song?
    i hope its as good as XYU

Hell yeah!!! United States is the name of the song...wonder if Corgan's gonna pull a Vedder and go on a political rant!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • They review kinda dissappointed me. I guess it was b/c he compared current sp billy to zwan billy :(. Although this is only one reviewers opinion and reviewers' opinions are often shit. I'm still going to be pumped for the release though.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • They review kinda dissappointed me. I guess it was b/c he compared current sp billy to zwan billy :(. Although this is only one reviewers opinion and reviewers' opinions are often shit. I'm still going to be pumped for the release though.
    Sounds like it's going to be for the same crowd as Adore and Machina - pumpkins fans simply put. They've taken an approach sort of like Pearl Jam's in not really caring about what the general public will care for. Just put out what you think is good - and nine times out of ten with an artist of Corgan's calibre the fans will dig the product.

Now look at Linda Strawberry's review.. she's a hardcore Pumpkins fan and absolutely loved it.

"Make our day"
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Well we're gonna get a single on May 15th so that should hold me off till July.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Well we're gonna get a single on May 15th so that should hold me off till July.
    Shit I forgot about that. There's no way I'll make it through June.

"Make our day"
    Shit I forgot about that. There's no way I'll make it through June.
    Yeah I keep reading that line about the opening track being compared to Geek U.S.A. and it's making me so anxious! Oh man even if that's an overstatement I'll be so happy :)
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Yeah I keep reading that line about the opening track being compared to Geek U.S.A. and it's making me so anxious! Oh man even if that's an overstatement I'll be so happy :)
    Well Geek USA is practically perfection so it's almost GOT to be an overstatement to an extent, but nonetheless I peed a little when I read that.

"Make our day"
    Well Geek USA is practically perfection so it's almost GOT to be an overstatement to an extent, but nonetheless I peed a little when I read that.
    I almost creamed myself ;)
    Geek U.S.A. is my favorite.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    sasoj wrote:
    Corgan's signature guitar tone is still as rich and forceful as it ever was.

This line makes me pretty sure I'll love it.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Sounds like it's going to be for the same crowd as Adore and Machina - pumpkins fans simply put. They've taken an approach sort of like Pearl Jam's in not really caring about what the general public will care for.

I'm sorry but this is totally wrong, they tried something in Adore that didn't sell backtracked and tried to write a record that people would like in Machina except it was a piece of shit so nobody did and then what happened? "It's a backstreet Boys world" and the fucked off. Billy Corgan broke up the band because people didn't buy the goddamn record. This is as much a smashing pumpkins record as Endless Wire was a who one, sure the principals are there but it's ten years after the fact and who you guys care is beyond me. I used to love the pumpkins but shit after Zwan and billy's solo record I don't think he has much left, I mean Noel Gallagher was a better songwrite IMO and he hasn't doen anything for like ten years either, sometimes people just run out of songs, it happens, it has happened.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    I'm sorry but this is totally wrong, they tried something in Adore that didn't sell backtracked and tried to write a record that people would like in Machina except it was a piece of shit so nobody did and then what happened? "It's a backstreet Boys world" and the fucked off. Billy Corgan broke up the band because people didn't buy the goddamn record. This is as much a smashing pumpkins record as Endless Wire was a who one, sure the principals are there but it's ten years after the fact and who you guys care is beyond me. I used to love the pumpkins but shit after Zwan and billy's solo record I don't think he has much left, I mean Noel Gallagher was a better songwrite IMO and he hasn't doen anything for like ten years either, sometimes people just run out of songs, it happens, it has happened.
    wtf are you talking about? Practically nothing about Machina was accesable to the average person and a lot of Pumpkins' fans hated it - even more than Adore! Just beacuse he wrote a louder record than Adore doesn't mean he was backtracking. AND Machina I and II were fucking spectacular to boot.

Corgan broke up the band because James and D'arcy got sick of him.

"Make our day"
    wtf are you talking about? Practically nothing about Machina was accesable to the average person and a lot of Pumpkins' fans hated it - even more than Adore! Just beacuse he wrote a louder record than Adore doesn't mean he was backtracking. AND Machina I and II were fucking spectacular to boot.

Corgan broke up the band because James and D'arcy got sick of him.

Machina was the hardest pumpkins album to get in to for me, it still does'nt fully click, but I can appreciate it as a whole concept when the mood takes me.:)
  • Machina was the hardest pumpkins album to get in to for me, it still does'nt fully click, but I can appreciate it as a whole concept when the mood takes me.:)
    After about a year and a half of owning it and not listening to it Machina finally 'clicked' with me. Lately, aside from Nick Cave and some other scattered stuff it's all I can listen to (along with II and some b-sides). It honestly feels like when I first 'got' Pink Floyd. Like some amazing new doors have opened up... I think it's incredible.

"Make our day"