targeting teenage girls ...
and just because damn rollingstone magazine says they are the best -
they realy are not ...
sure they sold alot - but so did justin timberlake
i love rock chicks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    name one valuable contribution that Slovenia has made to rock music and then we'll discuss this nonsense of yours... until then 'all you need is love'
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • frusciante89frusciante89 Posts: 125
    How boy band is the White Album, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road, or Let It Be
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    cmon flower power?
    i love rock chicks
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    No, the Monkees were the first ever boy band.

The Beatles may have had some of the traits of a boyband and may seem really tame by todays standards, but it was a totally different kettle of fish in those days. Helter Skelter was one of the hardest rocking tunes around at the time, definitely not boy band material.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    just like pearl jam is grunge....
  • Some people should listen to those rough and ready Star Club recordings from Hamburg, circa 1960. They'll hear a band whose energy was positively punkish (Lennon admitted to being stoned on prellies during those gigs). The band did all the covers they could think of, across a wide range of genres. They mightn't have been technically comparable with the blues cliques around the Alexis Korner London scene of the time, or tearing up guitar a la Davey Graham, but they certainly could rock it.

Yes, during 1963, when the first issues of The Beatles Monthly were released, the band was being visually streamlined for girlie appeal, but they were hardly a manufactured record company combo. Before then, during 1961-2, Brian Epstein couldn't get them signed with Decca, because they were so unruly in sound; he even considered trying to get them signed to the Woolworth's label, before he got lucky with Parlophone.

One should also note that Please Please Me and With The Beatles comprise what was basically the band's live repertoire at the time. They had the balls to reject the pre-written song How do You Do It? (which later became a big hit for Gerry and the Pacemakers), in favour of John's Please Please Me (the band's first UK number one). And check out the cover versions on those first two albums: Goffin and King songs, Isley Brothers hits, and a Smokey Robinson number. In the days before these acts were household names, in the very early days of Tamla, The Beatles were showing their hipness to American soul music. Manufactured boy bands have covers picked for them; Lennon and McCartney served an apprenticeship in their early years, learning from other great songwriters and performers, in development of their own sound.
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    sasoj wrote:
    in response to the best band ever -
    my view is that they are not a rock band, but
    the first boy band ever
    they had marketing like that
    they realy are not ...

Absolute and total bollocks... go back and listen again and again and again... :rolleyes:
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    sasoj wrote:
    the first boy band ever
    they realy are not ...

Even if they were packaged like a boy band during a certain period, the musical content was better. You seem to be overlooking the music they made.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    Even if they were packaged like a boy band during a certain period, the musical content was better. You seem to be overlooking the music they made.

they are good ...
    but they are not THAT good

all you need is love? let it be?

it reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G92R9WPEiGo

same quality
    maybe better
    i love rock chicks
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    sasoj wrote:
    they are good ...
    but they are not THAT good

all you need is love? let it be?

it reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G92R9WPEiGo

same quality
    maybe better

is this a joke?? those two lines you just mentions are known throughout mankind.....

and they were taken and still are..very seriously.
  • sasoj wrote:
    the first boy band ever
    they realy are not ...

Just because they may have been marketed at as a boy band early on, they most certainly were not a boy band.
    I try to respect opinions and everything but nonsense I cannot respect.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
    macgyver06 wrote:
    is this a joke?? those two lines you just mentions are known throughout mankind.....

and they were taken and still are..very seriously.

so is this:

check out this amazing beatles video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncw70Hw1ffs
    i love rock chicks
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    sasoj wrote:
    the first boy band ever
    they realy are not ...

you really have no idea what's going on. I mean, I understand what you're trying to say. you can dance to their early records and young girls did love them. but, unlike Timberlake who you referenced, The Beatles composed their own music and played their own instruments. and you can't deny that Hard Day's Night, Help, etc are good rock n roll songs.

now Sasoj, since you know nothing about the Beatles and I know everything about them, I'll give you the definitive reason why they're NOT anything like a modern day boy band. a boy band is manufactured to sell records. they would never mess with the formula or try anything creative. When the Beatles stopped touring, let their hair and mustaches grow, started eating acid and released the Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane single, their young teenage fans didn't know what to think. when the music videos for these songs were first shown on American Bandstand, many of the teens in the crowd said they hated it when Dick Clark asked them. that's right, they HATED Strawberry Fields Forever. because these Beatles weren't the same Beatles that sang I Want To Hold Your Hand
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    you really have no idea what's going on. I mean, I understand what you're trying to say. you can dance to their early records and young girls did love them. but, unlike Timberlake who you referenced, The Beatles composed their own music and played their own instruments. and you can't deny that Hard Day's Night, Help, etc are good rock n roll songs.

now Sasoj, since you know nothing about the Beatles and I know everything about them, I'll give you the definitive reason why they're NOT anything like a modern day boy band. a boy band is manufactured to sell records. they would never mess with the formula or try anything creative. When the Beatles stopped touring, let their hair and mustaches grow, started eating acid and released the Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane single, their young teenage fans didn't know what to think. when the music videos for these songs were first shown on American Bandstand, many of the teens in the crowd said they hated it when Dick Clark asked them. that's right, they HATED Strawberry Fields Forever. because these Beatles weren't the same Beatles that sang I Want To Hold Your Hand

i was just joking :)

dont have a cow ;)
    i love rock chicks
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    sasoj wrote:
    i was just joking :)

dont have a cow ;)

ok
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    I wonder if they were the first boy band. Had to of been some barber shop quartet or something that came first. Were they really the first? This requires further investigation.

By the way I wouldnt classify them as a boy band personally. In my opinion they are the greatest band ever. Not my favorite band ever that would be Pearl Jam but they are the greatest.
    Be excellent to each other
  • see, im in between here.

im sick of ppl saying the beatles were the greatest band ever. i dont get it and i do understand the history, but the music itself is good, just not as phenomenal as ppl keep on saying. I like it but not enough to listen to over and over again. though when i do indulge in beatles stuff, i am surprised at how good it is...but not how great it is. plus i loathe macca. always have. same way i do lars ulrich...

they had boy band tendancies in the beginning, im sure of that because my parents only listen to these songs, which i like, btw.
    but sgt pepper is way beyond a boy bands capabilities...