Zeitgeist review

sasojsasoj Posts: 239
edited June 2007 in Other Music
well --- here is the review for the new album from my freind Damian in austin who went to the zeitgeist listening party (saturday) ...

this is what he said

1) Doomsday Clock (a song with a great drumm intro, apocaliptic riff, great drumming, angsty chorus)
2) 7 Shades of Black (it sounds like a zero b-side, chorus and when billy screams doom are the only good parts of the song, the solo is kinda cool also)
3) Orchid (first masterpiece of the album ... just wait and see ...)
4) That's the Way (it reminds me of let me give the world to you, but with great sounding sonic guitars - my guess for the second single)
5) Tarantula (we all heard it)
6) Starz (this is the only song that realy sucks ...overproduced ...just not good)
7) United States (an epic ... second masterpiece of the album ..., drumm solo, sonic guitars, great chorus ...revolution)
8) Never Lost (yes- third masterpiece of the album - sounds like in arms of sleep, and has a good solo)
9) Bring the Light (this one is kinda average, but still good, kinda popy)
10) Come On (Let's Go) (well, this song is realy up tempo and has a good vibe to it, similar to thats the way, but not as good)
11) For God and Country (think cure-bloodflowers album - kinda long but cool)
12) Pomp and Circumstance (this is the best song on the album- great chorus - billy sings we can FAIL in style, great guitar, great drumming, just genius)

8/10

Comments

• Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    I for one can't wait for this.
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Starz sucks? Damn......I was hoping for a flawless album. Hopefully I don't agree with this part of his review.
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    danny72688 wrote:
    Starz sucks? Damn......I was hoping for a flawless album. Hopefully I don't agree with this part of his review.

well he said only starz are overproduced ...
    bass is way off in that song, very cheesy chorus ...
    :(
    but the rest is brilliant
    i love rock chicks
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Ive heard most of them .. as pretty much every show that has been played has been taped

I like :)

shame no Gossamer

Starz is good!

we are starz!
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Ive heard most of them .. as pretty much every show that has been played has been taped

I like :)

shame no Gossamer

Starz is good!

we are starz!

i hear the live version of starz and it is ok ...
    but i heard the studio version.
    well is like the futere embrace ...
    i love rock chicks
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    sasoj wrote:
    well he said only starz are overproduced ...
    bass is way off in that song, very cheesy chorus ...
    :(
    but the rest is brilliant
    I don't mind overproduced. I actually like MACHINA I and II :)
    Maybe I'll be the oddball fan of this song!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I can't wait for a studio version of gossamer.

I like the live version of starz i heard. I loved bleeding the orchid. Probalby one of my favs that i have heard from the Grand Rex show.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    July 7th needs to get it's ass here soon!!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    July 7th needs to get it's ass here soon!!!!

I think the album is actually coming out on July 10th now. I don't think the record company was too happy about the 7th as a release date.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Hey....

I just went out today to get the new Queens album Era Vulgaris and while I was out I picked up Siamese Dream as well. Been listening to it and am pleasantly surprised by how good it is.

I don't know what took me so long to check out Smashing Pumpkins but better late than never right? Can anyone tell me the other albums they have out, the discography? And any recommendations of where to go from Siamese Dream?

Much appreciated.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Hey....

I just went out today to get the new Queens album Era Vulgaris and while I was out I picked up Siamese Dream as well. Been listening to it and am pleasantly surprised by how good it is.

I don't know what took me so long to check out Smashing Pumpkins but better late than never right? Can anyone tell me the other albums they have out, the discography? And any recommendations of where to go from Siamese Dream?

Much appreciated.
    Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness is the most like Siamese Dream(it came out a few years after Siamese Dream). It is a double album, but there is a lot more good than bad on the album. Those are their two strongest rock albums. Here's the sequence of release for their normal LPs:

-Gish: More raw rock stuff, I'm not a big fan of it, but a lot of people really like this one. Not nearly as polished as their later work
    -Siamese Dream
    -Mellon Collie & Infinite Sadness
    -Adore: Really stripped down music, much of it is piano-based, they kicked the drummer out of the band before this. It is a very, very good album, but it is very much unrelated to the sound on their other albums.
    -Machina: A semi-return to form for them. A lot more of the big rock songs like Mellon Collie & Siamese Dream, but nowhere near as good as either of those two albums.

The also have a nearly endless supply of b-sides. They release a b-side CD after Siamese Dream which is pretty good, and their final album(until Zeitgeist) was an internet release called Machina II, it is pretty good and worth hearing.

My suggestion: Get Mellon Collie and if you are really interested in them pick up the others. I love Adore but it doesn't sound like their other stuff, so I wouldn't recommend it to you immediately as it probably won't be what you were expecting based on only hearing Siamese Dream.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Their b-sides album Pisces Iscariot is awesome, better than most band's proper albums, and features a lot of Siamese Dream era out-takes and stuff. Anything before Adore is incredible, after that they got a bit experimental, so it will depend whether you can dig that or not.
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    Their b-sides album Pisces Iscariot is awesome, better than most band's proper albums, and features a lot of Siamese Dream era out-takes and stuff. Anything before Adore is incredible, after that they got a bit experimental, so it will depend whether you can dig that or not.

I would echo some of what the last two folks said. SD is their best record, but I would tell you to get their first record Gish next. It's similar to SD in many respects. Mellon Collie is a double album that was their next major album release after SD and for a dbl album it's great - not as much filler as on most dbl records (re: stadium arcadium). Many of the songs on it have a fuller sound - strings, layered guitars, much more production than either of the firts two albums.
    If you want to get into the pumpkins, I would say pick up those three albums at a minimum, followed by the B-side collections Piesces Iscerio and the Aeroplane Flies High box, and then Adore and the Machina records if you want to get everything.
    rock chalk