pitchfork yet again insults billy corgan

2»

Comments

• Only difference is Smashing Pumpkins actually have an album coming out.

and they the songs sound like smashing pumpkins songs...

if he was using the smashing pumpkins name and then makings completly different styled music, then i think people would be right to say he's in it for the money. but the truth is he's playing pumpkins songs , and hes writing pumpkins songs, and i havn't head a single complaint about the live shows theyve been putting on, which also feel alot like pumpkins shows, to me, irrespective of the line up changes...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    I'm not necessarily anti-Corgan, or pro-Pitchfork, but they have a point.

-Zwan fail to make any impact.
    -Corgan changes a few of Zwan's members
    -Swaps Zwan's catalogue with the Smashing Pumpkins backcatalogue
    -Records an album under the name 'Smashing Pumpkins.

=Big bucks.

The 'Smashing Pumpkins' of today have about as much merit as the 'Guns N' Roses' of today.

They don't have a point.

The tone of the record is much different than Zwan.
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    I'm not necessarily anti-Corgan, or pro-Pitchfork, but they have a point.

=Big bucks.

The 'Smashing Pumpkins' of today have about as much merit as the 'Guns N' Roses' of today.

axl rose has not put a record out in 15 years, zwan was a side project ...
    i love rock chicks
  • They don't have a point.

The tone of the record is much different than Zwan.
    exactly.

Zwan and the Future Embrace were Corgan trying to not be himself/the Pumpkins.

Then he said "fuck this, I want my songs back and I want to be myself" and got the pumpkins as back together as he could.

You anti-corgan people piss me off.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    exactly.

Zwan and the Future Embrace were Corgan trying to not be himself/the Pumpkins.

Then he said "fuck this, I want my songs back and I want to be myself" and got the pumpkins as back together as he could.

You anti-corgan people piss me off.

That's bullshit and you know it. Look Zwan and his shitty solo record didn't sell, remember what billy said when he broke up the pumpkins? "It's a backstreet boys world", he was made because people didn't buy Machina (I wish I had of been one of them) so he bailed. He also said that he would NEVER PLAY THOSE SONGS AGAIN, yet here is he recording a cd that for all intensive purposes sounds liek something he would release in 1996 because he knows barely anyone liked what he has done since then. So he called the hired guns SP and recorded an album that sounds like what people want the smashing pumpkins to sound like.

Also to jeff's the man's comment about nobody complaining about the live shows it's for 2 reasons people are either there for
    1-a nostalgia trip
    2-they drink the kool aid about the pumpkins and honestly belive this isn't all bullshit, which as I already said it is
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • I'm not necessarily anti-Corgan, or pro-Pitchfork, but they have a point.

=Big bucks.

That's a terrible comparison. Guns n Roses was (more or less) a democratic band with Axl and Slash writing most of the material. Smashing Pumpkins is Billy Corgan and some other people....doesn't matter who they are. It's always been Corgan's project.

Having said this, I think the new album stinks. But I don't think he deserves the criticism he gets for using the Smashing Pumpkins name again. I personally liked Zwan, even though it didn't explode or anything...but compared to James Iha's solo shit it's a thousand times better. It's quite clear the other members made little impact on the creative direction of SP.
  • Pitchfork bashes anything that isn't indie anyways. They trashed Wilco's new album calling it "dad rock," trashed Pearl Jam's new album, and support acts that have no talent just because they support an indie label. I like lesser acts, don't get me wrong, but Pitchfork is a little out of their fucking minds.

everyone knows pitchfork is a comedy act.

It's kid journalism trying to be important.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+