The Sweet or Def Leppard ???

Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
edited April 2008 in Other Music
The Sweet - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H4GXV-lCGJ8

Def Leppard - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOeAIUEVbs

I think the original just about edges the Lep's version. What do you think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Everything Def Leppard have done is the worst thing ever so my money is on Sweet's version.

See Def Leppard's Waterloo Sunset for proof. If I was Ray Davies I would hunt down Joe Elliott and bludgeon him to death with one of his own Hysteria gold discs.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Everything Def Leppard have done is the worst thing ever so my money is on Sweet's version.

See Def Leppard's Waterloo Sunset for proof. If I was Ray Davies I would hunt down Joe Elliott and bludgeon him to death with one of his own Hysteria gold discs.

Hah, I knew if I read everything you put here, eventually I'd disagree with something.
    Def Leppard were awesome, a while ago now, but they were :D
    That cover is from when they went shit, Hysteria, Pyromania... great records. :D
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Not heard that version of Waterloo Sunset, not sure I want to either?
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

I'm glad you didn't say Rick Allen. If you did I'd have to single-handedly pluck every single one of those long golden locks from your head. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    jamie uk wrote:
    Hah, I knew if I read everything you put here, eventually I'd disagree with something.
    Def Leppard were awesome, a while ago now, but they were :D
    That cover is from when they went shit, Hysteria, Pyromania... great records. :D
    :D sorry Jamie, they're just one of my least favourite bands ever. And I do mean their "classic" material too. I actually feel physically ill every time I hear Rocket, Armageddon it or Photograph.

and no Fender Man, you do not want to hear it. It's horrible. It's a modern one, basically just Def Leppard in Bon Jovi mode.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    I'm glad you didn't say Rick Allen. If you did I'd have to single-handedly pluck every single one of those long golden locks from your head. :D
    oh come on, disabled or not, I'm not going to have you make excuses for his band's music :p

what has 9 arms and sucks?

wait, no. I'm sorry...
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    oh come on, disabled or not, I'm not going to have you make excuses for his band's music :p

what has 9 arms and sucks?

wait, no. I'm sorry...

What, you think I'd defend him cus he's disabled? Nooo, if he's a douche he's a douche. But he DID inspire me to learn the drums when I was a wee nipper so he's good for something. ;) Except I think his footpedals idea sucked. I decided to use drumsticks. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • The Sweet, by a universe.
    What, you think I'd defend him cus he's disabled? Nooo, if he's a douche he's a douche. But he DID inspire me to learn the drums when I was a wee nipper so he's good for something. ;) Except I think his footpedals idea sucked. I decided to use drumsticks. :)
    Well I did think that perhaps you were a fan of the Leppard and found him to be an inspiration and would take exception to me bludgeoning HIM with a gold Hysteria disc ;)

The answer to my joke was "Def Leppard". Lulz :D
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    I'm gonna say "the Sweet".....;)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I think they're actually pretty similar, except the newer version is even more overproduced.

I don't care though. I love Def Leppard. I don't really care for the Yeah! album (all covers of 70s infludences), but their albums from the 80s and the Euphoria album kick ass.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    Little Willy is the best song ever to grace rock and roll. I was alive when it was a top-40 hit. How many of you whipper-snappers can say that! It was about the only song that my dad and I both liked. Ballroom blitz was another classic.

Hey- what about "Hocus Pocus" by Focus. What a kick-ass rock n roll song which has yodeling. Sabbath didn't yodel, Metallica didn't yodel, Judas Priest didn't either. You ain't heard nothing until you heard this!
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Focus nearly caused riots when they played live. They're a woefully unappreciated band.
    Focus nearly caused riots when they played live. They're a woefully unappreciated band.
    Jan Akkerman plays the little music venue near me in Stratford-upon-Avon about once a week. I've never yet made it to one of his gigs.
    Focus nearly caused riots when they played live. They're a woefully unappreciated band.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U&feature=related

They are so F-ing cool!
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    little willy, by the sweet, was the first record i ever bought with money i earned on my paper route. early ninteen seventies.
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    brain of c wrote:
    little willy, by the sweet, was the first record i ever bought with money i earned on my paper route. early ninteen seventies.

1972 and also the first record I ever bought. My parents had split up and every week my dad used to send me 50p in guilt money. As soon as I got it I was straight down the record shop buying the latest release by The Sweet, T-Rex, Slade, Alice Cooper or Bowie. I always used to walk the 2 miles to the record shop, because my money wouldn't stretch to the cost of the record and bus fare both ways!
  • I was born in the late 70's but my dad had the "Little Willy" and "Ballroom Blitz" 45's. I loved that shit! The Sweet got kind of bogged down by the bubblegum music they were forced to play, but they were a tight band!
    JWBusher wrote:
    I was born in the late 70's but my dad had the "Little Willy" and "Ballroom Blitz" 45's. I loved that shit! The Sweet got kind of bogged down by the bubblegum music they were forced to play, but they were a tight band!

Yeah, "Love is like oxygen" certainly isn't the cd that is holed up in my CD player.

I was born in 61. I feel fortunate to have been around when things like Led Zep 4 came out, and you could go to the Dodge dealership and buy a Hemi 'Cuda for $3,900. Unfortunalely, I was a kid or early teen so I couldn't make it to these legendary concerts.