Underrated record producers

Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Got a favourite record producer who doesn't get the praise they deserve? I'll get the ball rolling.

Ted Templeman - Montrose / Van Halen and the greatest Captain Beefheart album 'Clear Spot'

Gary Katz - For his flawless work on the first four or five Steely Dan albums.

Chas Chandler - For the first two Hendrix albums.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Jeff Lynne - Basically did a better job producing other bands than with ELO
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    George Drakoulias for his work with the Black Crowes and Screaming Trees. He made records that sounded like you were in the room with the band while they were playing. In my opinion, that's how all rock records should sound.
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    hendrix78 wrote:
    George Drakoulias for his work with the Black Crowes and Screaming Trees. He made records that sounded like you were in the room with the band while they were playing. In my opinion, that's how all rock records should sound.

Good call. He also produced 'Glow' by Reef, very underrated IMO.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Steve Albini is the greatest record producer alive.

He is the only man I would trust to record drums.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

I was never a fan of his work on PJ Harveys "Rid Of Me"......I know some people are - but it sounds really muddy/dulled to me. It's an incredible album, but unfortunately I have a hard time listening to it.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Listen to his engineering work on Walking Into Clarksdale by Page and Plant and you may change your mind!

Speaking of underrated producers - Jimmy Page. He'd get my vote every time
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    edved82 wrote:
    Listen to his engineering work on Walking Into Clarksdale by Page and Plant and you may change your mind!

Speaking of underrated producers - Jimmy Page. He'd get my vote every time
    He should never have gone near an album like that. He has the ability to make a band sound exactly like they really are. If you hear something on an album recorded by Albini, it is what the band played. He is definitely more suited to indie/punk styles though. His recordings are raw as hell and he makes guitar tones so sharp they could cut glass. Not at all suited to Page and Plant who are really more to blame for hiring him than he is for recording them that way. I have spoken to Albini via his studio's website a few times, he is just as abrupt, cynical and stubborn as his reputation suggests and is unlikely to start doing tape-loop manipulations and mellotron overdubs ;)

Shellac's 1000 Hurts is how a punk album should sound.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Scott Litt-R.E.M. era 1987-1996
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Andrew Schnider (spelling might be off).

he did Milligram, Pelican, Scissorfight... tons of New England bands.

oh, and Kurt Ballou... you know from Converge.
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

what he said, although he hates to be called "producer". he's a "recording engineer"

I'll add a few more
    brian eno
    jack endino
    conrad uno
    bob weston
    jim dickinson
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Jeff Lynne - Basically did a better job producing other bands than with ELO

yeah, I'm a big fan of what he did with Petty on Full Moon Fever and Harrison on Brainwashed.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    mark arm wrote:
    what he said, although he hates to be called "producer". he's a "recording engineer"
    Aye I know, I just thought I'd include him since he essentially fills the role that most people consider a producer to be, even if that isn't essentially true.