Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells

Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Has this stood the test of time? 35 years ago this was seen as ground breaking album and sold zillions of copies. Just wondered if anyone still listened to it and how they rated it now?
Due to the over use of some of it's themes in TV and film soundtracks, I wouldn't care if I never heard it again. But is it a worthy album now or is it just muzak, elevator music? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    Two days and not one reply, I think that answers my question, It's a worthless piece of shit, that doesn't even warrant discussion.
    For my next post I will be asking for considered opinions on the collective works of the Goombay Dance Band! Ha ha ha!
  • I could never get into it. But that was a long ime ago. I might like it now. *shrugs*.

My brother bought it but I think that was mainly because of the main song - you know, the excorcist one. :D
    (That's the best I could do. Sorry).
  • I have to say, it's a bit weird when your dad puts the Exorcist theme on during a BBQ.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I have to say, it's a bit weird when your dad puts the Exorcist theme on during a BBQ.

That's really funny. I mean that really made me chuckle. I can just imagine you tucking into a burger with the spooky music in the background... 'could you pass the ketchup please' doo doo doo doo dooo 'It's not ketchup, it's BLOOD' doo doo doo doo (Trust me, it's funny in my head). :o
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I like the John Cleese version!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    Fender_Man wrote:
    Has this stood the test of time? 35 years ago this was seen as ground breaking album and sold zillions of copies. Just wondered if anyone still listened to it and how they rated it now?
    Due to the over use of some of it's themes in TV and film soundtracks, I wouldn't care if I never heard it again. But is it a worthy album now or is it just muzak, elevator music? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.
    That was back in my ELP/King Crimson/Pink Floyd phase. Drop the needle; hit the bong :D.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wow, no love for Oldfield here? I'm a fan of TUBULAR BELLS but don't think it's his best work (that would be the semi-forgotten SONGS OF DISTANT EARTH.)
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    the dvd live at montreux is pretty sweet