Any Aussie Big Day Out goers?

invest-it-allinvest-it-all Posts: 222
edited January 2007 in Other Music
I'm finally going to my first BDO festival this Sunday in Melbourne, really looking forward to it. Anyone else been/going to BDO this year?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yup, im going to the adelaide BDO, cant wait. it'll be my 2nd BDO, really looking forward to seeing muse and tool, aswell as all the great aussie acts this year!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Yeah, I've been a few times but not since they moved Melbourne from the showgrounds to Princes Park.
    1997 Prodigy and Soundgarden
    1999 Korn and Marilyn Manson
    2001 Was supposed to be the year that Limp Bizkit headlined - Powderfinger closed the show I think
    2002 Prodigy and silverchair

And heaps and heaps of other amazing acts!! You'll have a ball!! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i was at the sydney BDO yesterday.
    the highlight for me was the vines. they went totally off. their fans are manic as well. it was so good to see craig healthy and in excellent form. MUSE were their usual excellent self and TOOL well, they are an experience not to be missed.

if you can see the drones. they are so excellent live. a must for me. dan kelly and the alpha males were good as well. and don't miss the butterfly effect. they will rock your sox off.

don't forget a hat whatever you do. i didn't wear one yesterday cause it seriously looked like it was gonna rain and this morning i spent too much time having to apply moisteriser to a face that looks like a raccoon cause i go nowhere outdoors without my sunglasses. i look like a foolish raccoon.

have a good time. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

don't forget a hat whatever you do. i didn't wear one yesterday cause it seriously looked like it was gonna rain and this morning i spent too much time having to apply moisteriser to a face that looks like a raccoon cause i go nowhere outdoors without my sunglasses. i look like a foolish raccoon.

have a good time. :D

Oooh!! Good point cate and another thing invest_it_all take enough cash to get you through. It can be a real pain in the ass trying to get money. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • haha thanks for the tips guys! Yep I'm making sure I bring plenty of cash, and wear comfortable shoes lol. Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing Tool and Muse as well, I've heard theyre great live. And cheers for the recommendations cate, I'll be sure to check out a few of those.

Jeanie wrote:
    Yeah, I've been a few times but not since they moved Melbourne from the showgrounds to Princes Park.
    1997 Prodigy and Soundgarden

:eek: seeing Soundgarden would have been awesome!
    Jeanie wrote:
    Oooh!! Good point cate and another thing invest_it_all take enough cash to get you through. It can be a real pain in the ass trying to get money. :)

oh totally. the line at the ATM was longer than the one at the ladies' toilets.

and can i urge you to go find the amnesty stall and sign the david hicks petition.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    haha thanks for the tips guys! Yep I'm making sure I bring plenty of cash, and wear comfortable shoes lol. Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing Tool and Muse as well, I've heard theyre great live. And cheers for the recommendations cate, I'll be sure to check out a few of those.

:eek: seeing Soundgarden would have been awesome!

It was!!! Just a little bit! ;) Nah!! IT WAS THE BEST!!! :D:D:D:D:D
    And cates right you are gonna love TOOL!!! They are fantastic live. Doh!! What am I saying? THEY ARE FANTASTIC end of sentence!!! :D
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • BaystoneBaystone Posts: 111
    Yep. I'm going on Sunday. Looking forward to tool and muse. This year will be my eighth... I missed out on the limp bizkit and hole, marilyn manson ones. First one was 97 with soundgarden, I was only about 13 so I wouldn't even be allowed in there these days.
    I only lied because it was the easiest way to get what I wanted.
    Baystone wrote:
    Yep. I'm going on Sunday. Looking forward to tool and muse. This year will be my eighth... I missed out on the limp bizkit and hole, marilyn manson ones. First one was 97 with soundgarden, I was only about 13 so I wouldn't even be allowed in there these days.

yeah you would. you have to be at least 5 years old.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    yeah you would. you have to be at least 5 years old.
    Thought it was 15 without a guardian. I went there with another 13 year old.
    Baystone wrote:
    Thought it was 15 without a guardian. I went there with another 13 year old.

unless they changed it without me knowing. you had to be at least 5. and yeah the guardian thingy applies. i saw a kid watching the drones who looked about 11 or 12. and yes he was with someone. my 7 year old has been busting to go for a few years now.
    hey i could be wrong. it's not like i'm infallable.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
    DinghyDog wrote:
    maybe in school i could've gone. but i think the heat, 1,000s of people and poor view of the stage would just stress me out.

what are you a retired pensioner? :D
    yes the view of the stage can be poor but if you pick the right bands and the right position(give yourself time to suss out your spot) it's an experience. the crowd was totally mad for the vines and we all fed off that. we were literally skin to skin. there was no room to breath and the energy emitted was worth the semi claustrophia i felt.(i'm not good in confined spaces). the butterfly effect was the same. it was a little more chilled watching the drones and i had an unobstructed view of the whole band. i could have stood against the barrier but i am way too mature for that nonsense. ;) so i stepped back maybe 12 feet from the stage and absorbed the music. when it came to MUSE and TOOL, i sat in the stand a good distance away so i could see the overall picture. admittedly the night before i was in the mosh for TOOL, so i knew what that was like. but MUSE have such a great visual show it was good to see it from a distance and take it all in. and let me tell you i was so excited when i saw they were using graphics from the video game galaga, matt bellamy could have levitated and i would have thought it normal.
    you get some dicks at these events but you just ignore them the best you can. the heat can be a killer and we were lucky in getting a mostly overcast day.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    oops i forgot to mention FAKER.

go see faker if they play in your town. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Did you guys remember to take your aussie flags? :p
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
    Did you guys remember to take your aussie flags? :p

i remembered not to take one. i find them the ultimate symbol of nationalism and thus do not take part in such blind sheep herding.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • i remembered not to take one. i find them the ultimate symbol of nationalism and thus do not take part in such blind sheep herding.

You are Un-Australian! :eek: I bet you didn't eat lamb yesterday either! LOL just playing........
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
    You are Un-Australian! :eek: I bet you didn't eat lamb yesterday either! LOL just playing........

that's right i didn't. i am so totally un australian. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I had an awesome day yesterday!! It will definitely be the 1st BDO of many to come. I wore my Pearl Jam shirt yesterday and noticed many people wearing PJ shirts as well, nice to see people representing ;) Managed to catch quite a few bands while still going back to the bar and getting drinks, its all about time management lol

....oh and Tool were fucking awesome :)
    glad to hear you had a good time. who else did you manage to catch?

and yes TOOL are indeed fucking awesome. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I had an awesome day yesterday!! It will definitely be the 1st BDO of many to come. I wore my Pearl Jam shirt yesterday and noticed many people wearing PJ shirts as well, nice to see people representing ;) Managed to catch quite a few bands while still going back to the bar and getting drinks, its all about time management lol

i did see a few ppl wearin Pearl Jam shirts, that was good to see. Muse rocked, Jet got what they deserved, Nothin!
    i did see a few ppl wearin Pearl Jam shirts, that was good to see. Muse rocked, Jet got what they deserved, Nothin!

you are a cold hard bitch. :D

but i know what you mean. that was the 2nd time JET left me cold at a festival. and i'm a JET fan.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • U-RU-R Posts: 223
    tool are still the greatest band in the world. i'm not the same manic tool addict that i was a few years ago, they are to my eyes jaded now but i still love them, always will. the sound quality was ordinary, the set too short, the drunk dickheads too many, all the things that go along with a festival but they were still brilliant.

can't wait for wednesday night, i dont have a ticket but i'll be there buying a scalped one or jumping the fence. muse were pretty impresive too and the butterfly effect continue to impress.

pitty about the new venue (it's at flemmington next year btw), the showgrounds had a certain feel.

hope all present enjoyed it
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
    I had an awesome day yesterday!! It will definitely be the 1st BDO of many to come. I wore my Pearl Jam shirt yesterday and noticed many people wearing PJ shirts as well, nice to see people representing ;) Managed to catch quite a few bands while still going back to the bar and getting drinks, its all about time management lol

So glad to hear you had a great time invest-it-all! Yes!! BDO is all about time management!! :D And sooo glad TOOL was awesome, not that I expected anything less!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    U-R wrote:
    tool are still the greatest band in the world........

.........can't wait for wednesday night, i dont have a ticket but i'll be there buying a scalped one or jumping the fence.

Hmmmm................I'm even considering that myself! ;)
    U-R wrote:
    pitty about the new venue (it's at flemmington next year btw), the showgrounds had a certain feel.

You are sooo right!! I couldn't bring myself to go to Princes Park.
    BUT they have screwed the showgrounds over sooo badly that I doubt the "certain feel" will still be there. :(
    Still......might be worth a look in. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Yes, tool were indeed awesome and, since i managed to come across some tickets for wednesday's show, I'm pretty excited.
  • adelaide BDO this friday, cant wait, really looking forward to seeing alot of bands, just wish there wern't so many clashes!!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."