does your family like the same music as you?

wavescamecrashingwavescamecrashing Posts: 440
edited January 2008 in Other Music
I was a bit baffled just now when my mum asked what i was listening to and proceeded to steal 'ballad of the broken seas' off me.

she likes lanegans voice and thinks he is 'eerie sounding'. from someone who normally listens to westlife, this is quite unexpected

cool!

anyone else had family members liking unlikely music?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well, my wife likes some of the music I listen to, though she's nowhere near the music nut that I am.

My mother-in-law likes some Pumpkins songs...and I had her listen to Sublime a time or two and she dug them a little.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I like a lot of the 60s stuff my mum and dad like, like dylan, hendrix etc. But what is pretty cool is that it was my mum who first got me into pearl jam. She bought yield when it first came out and i borrowed it, then quickly purchased all the rest of their studio albums. She also likes bands like Radiohead/Counting Crows etc, like i do.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • 60s stuff is great!

My aunt and uncle got me into hard rock and took me to my first concert (aerosmith) and we still trade cds and go to gigs.

me and my bro like a lot of the same stuff but also weird tangents that we dont agree on. He loves Jimmy eat world and I cant stand them, for example.

My boyfriend and I have a few bands we like alot together and we both love old slushy stuff like Sinatra and jazz records.

I like some of my parents record collection, like soul and motown stuff and they like a bit of mine, but not much, which is why i was so surprised at my mum liking Lanegan. lol.
  • My mum likes some of my acoustic folk stuff... she really liked PJ's Thumbing My Way.

My Dad is more into classic rock than me.. but thinks Ten is a flawless album. He likes lots of other PJ as well but he's never bothered following them.. always forgets their songs.

I've managed to convert my sister's husband to Sigur Ros.. He's obsessed, and it's all down to me. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • My parents have a habit of stealing The Pizza Tapes (Jerry Garcia) off my brother all the time. It always makes me laugh when I go to visit them and they're rockin' out to it.

My dad especially loves voices with character such as the way Jim James (My Morning Jacket) wails and the dude's voice from Crash Test Dummies. Eddie obviously falls into this category.
  • Well my dad likes neil young, the eagles, and van halen... but my mom thinks that stuff is "Devil Music"... neither of them really like pearl jam at all.. although they seem to be interested in very new indie folk and things... my older brothers both like pearl jam... and they are more into harder rock than me... I like more soft indie... My sister just listens to crappy mainstream hits...
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    My wife and I share a lot of commonality in music....however, my parents and I are not in the same time zone when it comes to music.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • My wife and I share a lot in common. She has a couple PJ tattoos and a Ryan Adams tat as well (Cardinals rose logo). We go to most shows together. I'm a little more obsessed in a message-board reading, bootleg collecting sort of way but she's just as much a fan.
    My siblings like a lot of the same as well. I got them all on Neil Young and one of my younger brothers converted me to PJ obsession (from already being a casual fan).
    My mom has started listening to our music as well and in the past two years has seen with us:
    Pearl Jam (2003 and 2006)
    Neil Young (multiple times with me)
    Ryan Adams
    Jeff Tweedy (solo)
    Wilco
    Jay Farrar
    CSNY
    Last two Bridge School Benefit weekends.
    It's pretty cool to share all that in common with family, though it sometimes can lead to ticket disputes.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • My mum and dad married before rock and roll. Dad says the only music he ever liked was the sound of the pneumatic drill and compressor, because he knew it was making his building contracting firm money. Mum likes classical music and ballads.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    my whole family listens to country. They think the music I listento is weird. My mom was convinced I was the only one in the world who had ever heard of Pearl Jam until I told her to go to a show with me. At least now she knows they don't record albums for me personally:)
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My dad got me into Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Neil Young, Zeppelin, The Beatles, Van Halen, and Aerosmith.

Ya, he's pretty chill!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    My parents generally share the same music taste I do, which is cool. They got me into the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Zeppelin, the stones ect, and then they casually just grew to listen to what I did as I was growing up with bands like Pearl jam, Nirvana, Toadies. They like alot of those bands popular songs that are played on the radio. I can't complain though, at least I can listen to their music. They aren't huge country fans, and they really aren't into rap or hip hop that much. Occasionally, a radio hit will spark their interest in those genres but hey I can't complain. My parents at least appreciate the music I grew up on as opposed to completely ignoring it. My mom liked the into the wild songs and likes pj's version of "last kiss" but that's not too bad. Like I said, they are keen in radio hits, but hey, I can't complain. :D It makes family trips and social get togethers tolerable when we are listing to music. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    To answer the question of the subject....no.
  • When I lived at home, my mum went out of her way to take the mick out of my music. That used to make me so angry.

My brother sparked my interest in music but his tastes have changed now. He either listens to metal or pop. An odd combination, I know.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    not at all.

i like some stuff they like though (classical music and shit like that)
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    my 11-month-old is dancing to this right now (sung to the tune of dylan's "blowin' in the wind"):

how many pigs will jump into this mud
    jump into this mud from their pen?

the answer my friend is
    1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10

ten pigs in the mud from their pen...!

:)

other than that, my older son (13) likes pj, nirvana, ramones, as well as the current teen angst bands- all american rejects, the fray... those bands that make me wanna stab myself in the eye when i hear them. >sigh< teenagers!! :D
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    My sons are adorable because they love a mixture of the music I like as well as the music my husband listens to...it's very sweet!! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    hailhail82 wrote:
    My mom has started listening to our music as well and in the past two years has seen with us:
    Pearl Jam (2003 and 2006)
    Neil Young (multiple times with me)
    Ryan Adams
    Jeff Tweedy (solo)
    Wilco
    Jay Farrar
    CSNY

Those are the exact bands/musicians my mother cannot stand. I remember listening to my first Wilco CD and thinking maybe mom would actually like this. The answer was no (though she loves making fun of Jeff Tweedy). Above all others she detests anything related to Jay Farrar. She refers to his work as "dead dog music."

My mom's favorites range from Dave Matthews and Matchbox Twenty to Celine Dion. She also likes a lot of country - Garth Brooks and Sugarland seem to be favorites. She doesn't do real country music, unless you count bluegrass - she likes Alison Krauss. Mostly we can only agree on a few classic rockers and Alison Krauss, but I tolerate Dave Matthews and Matchbox Twenty, while she says My Morning Jacket is growing on her and though she won't admit to liking them she will occasionally request Arcade Fire.

The music I remember from being a kid was mostly my dad's stuff - Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, Allman Brothers, for instance - all music I can appreciate. I have to say I have a soft spot for Steely Dan. Dad listens to mostly classic rock to this day. However, when I bought my first Pearl Jam CD way back when I think he was hugely relieved I was moving on from Bush and Oasis to something he could handle. He's more of a fan of early PJ, but he's been to two concerts with me and really enjoys the experience. As for my other music, he saw a Wilco show with me and thought it was alright ("better than I expected"). He really likes "Bandages and Scars" by Son Volt and generally seems to be okay with Jay Farrar in small doses. I've been meaning to introduce him to Drive-by Truckers - I'm thinking that's a band he could appreciate.

I could go on and on . . . sorry! My parents know that when I'm around music will be played and I'll move the conversation in a musical direction every chance I get. We may not have the same taste, but I'm glad to have been brought up by parents who appreciate music. Being an only child with friends who weren't into the music I cared about I became accustomed to sharing the passion with mom and dad rather than people my own age.
  • soclose wrote:
    Above all others she detests anything related to Jay Farrar. She refers to his work as "dead dog music."

He really likes "Bandages and Scars" by Son Volt and generally seems to be okay with Jay Farrar in small doses.

Yeah, Son Volt and Jay have been hit or miss with my family. Jay is probably the only artist I love that my wife really doesn't like. And in the "Jay vs. Jeff" debate, Jeff wins all around, except with me (stupid contest, I know).
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    My parents have great taste in music. They grew up in the 60's and 70's and introduced me to Zeppelin, Hendrix, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Stones, etc. I've gone to many concerts with my parents. They both like Pearl Jam, especially my dad. My mom actually bought GNR's Appetite for Destruction on vinyl when it came out. They both like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I've gotten my dad into Screaming Trees.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Somewhat. I like a very wide spectrum of music and I suppose some of that is related to my parents' tastes.

My dad's favorite artists are mostly 60's and 70's groups like Cream (all Clapton entities really "until he went soft"), Traffic, Frank Zappa, Neil Young, Little Feat, Stevie Ray, The Band, and Rush.

My mom was into the softer stuff. I remember going through her James Taylor, Jackson Browne, and John Denver albums. She also went through a phase where she was really into jazz and blues. Now she's all over the place.

I'd say my parents were a good influence on my taste in music. They could have done a lot worse. But I'm the only real Pearl Jam fan in my family, although my mom says "she really respects Eddie".
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    My brother and me have very similar taste and go to a lot of gigs together.My sister mostly listens to Christian worship music as she is born again,I on the other hand am the family heretic,but she was in my house when I was playing Ballad of the Broken Seas,she bought her own copy and is now into Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan solo stuff.Mum likes a range of traditional music and dad was always into Ray Charles.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • My parents are pretty open minded when it comes to my music.

I listen to a lot of the same music my dad did when he was younger (Zeppelin, Stones, Dylan, Springsteen, etc), so that's cool.

My mom likes most of my music, except the heavy music (Deftones, Machine Head, Pantera)

They both like Pearl Jam and that's really what should matter...isn't it? :D
  • My dad listens to a lot of country which I don't mind, depending on who it is. He also played a bunch of Queen, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, The Beatles and The Stones when me and my sisters were little. So we love all that stuff. And then we stole all his Wings, Beach Boys and Neil Young. So we listen to all the stuff that he likes. My mum really likes the Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam and Dad likes My Morning Jacket and Kings Of Leon. So yeah, we all like the same music.
  • I pretty much like everything my dad likes... well almost. There are certain bands that the other doesn't listen to that much but we have a very similar taste in music.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    my sister, yes...loved her 1st PJ show in May '06 (God seems like yesterday!)

my parents...oldies are the only common ground.
    I love to turn you on
  • me and my family share some musical interests...

but only with the more mainstream bands like pearl jam, pumpkins, amy winehouse and stuff...

i lose them i bit with the death metal or anything that's heavy and with sonic youth, dinosaur jr and whatnot....
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    My brother pretty much gets his music from me. All of the really good bands he likes, he got from me :p so yes.

I got my Dad majorly into Jeff Buckley too.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • My older sister (she's 38) has been to more Pearl Jam shows than me (she's seen around 15 or 16 now)

My dad (who is soon to be 65) still rocks out pretty good. Over the last 12 years or so, he's gone to see The Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Live, The Who and Aerosmith with us.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage