Zeitgeist is officially doomed

bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Zeitgeist is nowhere near the REAL Smashing Pumpkins. Zeitgeist is like the sophomore album of Zwan. It flops commercially, statistically, in terms of air-play, and more importantly fan-base. I'm disappointed.

Billy should get over it. The Smashing Pumpkins should have gone where they were once left off. Zeitgeist only tarnishes their legacy. James Iha is laughing out loud now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• This is true. And their live show is a joke as well.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    This is true. And their live show is a joke as well.
    IMO it was a joke with Iha....most disappointing concert I've ever attended. The memory is bad enough that it actually affects my enjoyment of their music.

for the record...I don't mind the album, but it didn't stay in my player long...and I wasn't much of a fan after that show (mellon collie tour)
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    I was listening to it today and I love this album, can't wait to see them live. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    bestsane wrote:
    Zeitgeist is nowhere near the REAL Smashing Pumpkins. Zeitgeist is like the sophomore album of Zwan. It flops commercially, statistically, in terms of air-play, and more importantly fan-base. I'm disappointed.

Billy should get over it. The Smashing Pumpkins should have gone where they were once left off. Zeitgeist only tarnishes their legacy. James Iha is laughing out loud now.

I have to somewhat agree. I mean zeitgiest to me is mediocre at best, and thats being generous. It's got some good songs (like 5 or 6), but what sparked so much publicity (mostly on this board) for the record was the fact that Billy had announced he was reuniting the pumpkins even if it has new members. I'm sure Darcy and James were given the opportunity to be apart of the reunion but looks like they declined.
    Oh well, at least die hard SP fans get to hear those classics again.

I am a fan of another band that looks to be reuniting for a bit in 2008 considering they converted the street team, so I guess as long as the voice is still there and you get to hear the songs you love, then that's better than nothing.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • AstirdAstird Posts: 168
    I gave the album a few listens and it was ok...read a ton of dumbass comments that Billy has been making lately and I haven't had the urge to listen to it again.
  • Which Zeitgeist are we talking about? The one Billy wanted me to buy at Target? The one he wanted me to buy at Best Buy? The one he wanted me to buy on itunes? The plain one he stiffed all the indie stores with? Or is it the NEW one he wants me to buy at Best Buy now? I'm confused...
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Which Zeitgeist are we talking about? The one Billy wanted me to buy at Target? The one he wanted me to buy at Best Buy? The one he wanted me to buy on itunes? The plain one he stiffed all the indie stores with? Or is it the NEW one he wants me to buy at Best Buy now? I'm confused...

Great Post :D

I think the album is pretty good. I saw a show in 96 and it was actually good and i saw a show in Asheville this past summer and it was a lot of fun seeing them in and intimate setting.

Zeitgeist is not going to land in my top ten of the year but i enjoy it :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Im Just Totally Fucking Happy That They Reformed!!

Dont Care How Shit Their New Release Is Im Glad To Have Seen some of my fave muscians 3 times before i die
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Zeitgeist is prolly right behind Radiohead and Modest Mouse for best album of 07. Alotta albums that people say are better, are some of the most atrocious listens I have ever had. For Instance:

Band of Horses new one- Sound like MMJ's mellow stuff, only not nearly as good, and people are creamin all over it.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    bestsane wrote:

Didn't it debut higher on the charts than anything PJ has released for awhile?

and it is the Smashing Pumpkins. When I was flippin through the radio before the album came out, I heard a song and stopped b/c I knew it had to be SP music. It wasn't from Billy's voice.
  • Which Zeitgeist are we talking about? The one Billy wanted me to buy at Target? The one he wanted me to buy at Best Buy? The one he wanted me to buy on itunes? The plain one he stiffed all the indie stores with? Or is it the NEW one he wants me to buy at Best Buy now? I'm confused...

I saw that yesterday when I was at BB to pick up Spiderman 3. I didn't even know there was a new version coming out... passed on buying it, it's not worth another $10 to me to get two extra songs and a 20 min. DVD that I'll watch once.

I picked up the Puscifer album instead.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Im Just Totally Fucking Happy That They Reformed!!

Dont Care How Shit Their New Release Is Im Glad To Have Seen some of my fave muscians 3 times before i die

But they didn't reform. How is this any different from Billy's solo album? It's him, Jimmy, and? He just reattached the band name to sell records.

I am amazed that people are listing this as their favorite album of the year. I love the early Pumpkins stuff, and Zeitgeist, in my opinion pales in comparison.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • the 1996 tour is some of the best live music I have ever heard. I wish I had seen them back then. nothing they do now could ever compare to those shows. simply incredible.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • I made the mistake of buying this album.. There are PLENTY of albums that have came out this year that own it.
  • I saw that yesterday when I was at BB to pick up Spiderman 3. I didn't even know there was a new version coming out... passed on buying it, it's not worth another $10 to me to get two extra songs and a 20 min. DVD that I'll watch once.

I picked up the Puscifer album instead.

How do you like the Puscifer album? Picking it up later myself..
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Didn't it debut higher on the charts than anything PJ has released for awhile?

and it is the Smashing Pumpkins. When I was flippin through the radio before the album came out, I heard a song and stopped b/c I knew it had to be SP music. It wasn't from Billy's voice.

First Week Sales

Pearl Jam-279,564

Zietgiest-145,000
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • boroff89 wrote:
    But they didn't reform. How is this any different from Billy's solo album? It's him, Jimmy, and? He just reattached the band name to sell records.

I am amazed that people are listing this as their favorite album of the year. I love the early Pumpkins stuff, and Zeitgeist, in my opinion pales in comparison.

I'm sick of this arguement. What did Iha contribute besides Mayonnaise (a great great song btw)? The Smashing Pumpkins is/are Billy's Baby. IF Trent Reznor came out with a solo album and then a NIN album I'm sure they would be stylistically different much like Zwan/Secret Imbrace are different sounding then Zeitgeist. Zeitgeist is my 4th favorite Pumpkins album btw but way way below the first three imo.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I think we all know that the SP suck
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I like the SPs old stuff. Not a fan of Zeitgeist. This probably sounds a bit pendantic and I don't usually have an ear for it but the way the album was produced is terrible. I can't put my finger on it but it sounds shite.

Anyway, I always prefered the melodic, softer SP songs. The stuff on Zeitgeist is just crappy hard rock. It all blends in together. The only songs I like are Tarantula and United States.
  • I like it. Vocals were mixed terribly though. Songs are ace in my book. Fresh, as usual with Billy and amazing drumming.
  • I'm sick of this arguement. What did Iha contribute besides Mayonnaise (a great great song btw)? The Smashing Pumpkins is/are Billy's Baby. IF Trent Reznor came out with a solo album and then a NIN album I'm sure they would be stylistically different much like Zwan/Secret Imbrace are different sounding then Zeitgeist. Zeitgeist is my 4th favorite Pumpkins album btw but way way below the first three imo.

Precisely.

Also I think the Zwan album was great and seeing them with a crowd of about 200 was amazing.
    When Jesus said "Love your enemies" he probably didn't mean kill them...

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you." -Deep Toughts, Jack Handy
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    I started out with TSP with "Zeitgeist" and loved the album from the gitgo then one by one started back with their first. I can see why some have chosen not to like the Z album compared to their earlier stuff. However, I really like this harder rockin distorted version of them than what they once were.

We all have our different likes and dislikes, I didn't particularly like PJ's last album but they're evolving too. It's up to the fans to adjust to there changing styles or move unto your other likes and dislikes.

If bands played similar styles throughout their careers without changes or enhancing themselves we as fans would bore ourselves in a short period of time. At the same time those bands would have no enjoyment without experimenting or taking a chance in a new and hard rocking direction.

More power too ya Smashing Pumpkins.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    I'm sick of this arguement. What did Iha contribute besides Mayonnaise (a great great song btw)? The Smashing Pumpkins is/are Billy's Baby. IF Trent Reznor came out with a solo album and then a NIN album I'm sure they would be stylistically different much like Zwan/Secret Imbrace are different sounding then Zeitgeist. Zeitgeist is my 4th favorite Pumpkins album btw but way way below the first three imo.

IHA may not have been part of the writing, but he was a BIG part of the live shows-thats whats missing for me

I saw them at the academy in NYC a warm up show for the mellon collie tour
    Tremendous, but I dont think they have even come close to matching that energy since then.
  • Ok... so I'll agree, Billy never should've gone out and called it a reunion, he has merely reformed the Pumpkins... but you got to admit the driving force behind their sound is still there in Billy & Jimmy.

As for the new album, when you've been out of the mainstream focus for 7 years you have to do something to drum up interest, so while I agree releasing different copies to individual stores was a shady move, you gotta remember this is their job... they are in this to make MONEY!!!

As for my personal take, I picked up the re-release of Zeitgeist the other day at Best Buy. Heck for $10 bucks you get 15 songs (3 that weren't on the original release... including Stellar which is like the Pumpkins meeting the Cure, it's fantastic) and a DVD and both music videos!

Oh and take it from this Pumpkins fan, they are night and day better in concert NOW then they were back in their hayday! I saw the new guitarist Jeff Schroeder is top notch and the keyboard player is spot on too... the bassist, eh... at least she's hot!
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    First Week Sales

Pearl Jam-279,564

Zietgiest-145,000

:cool:
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786

What he contributed is not the issue. This was labeled as a Smashing Pumpkins reunion. A reunion implies the bringing together of the original members, or some reasonable semblance of the original lineup. This lineup might as well have been the lineup on his solo album. He just went back to the name Smashing Pumpkins because no one bought his solo album. And frankly, Zeitgeist is no better than the solo album. Maybe James added more to the band than you give him credit for.

As for the Trent Reznor example, he plays most of the instruments on the NIN albums anyway, so probably not the best example. I understand what your point is though.

I loved the Zwan album (as much as any Pumpkins album). However, his efforts since Zwan have been underwhelming to say the least.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    The plain one he stiffed all the indie stores with? .
    its 2007........................... indie store are dead
    regardless if you can still walk through the door
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken

• Oh and take it from this Pumpkins fan, they are night and day better in concert NOW then they were back in their hayday! I saw the new guitarist Jeff Schroeder is top notch and the keyboard player is spot on too... the bassist, eh... at least she's hot!

Lies. I saw them last Saturday at Voodoo Fest and they sucked the life out of the crowd. They covered "I Love Rock and Roll" to end it and everyone was dumbfounded and were like, "Is this serious? This is a joke right?" The majority of the fans I talked to afterward and the newspaper columnist said it was very disappointing. They didn't play Cherub Rock, Zero, Disarm, or Ava Adore. It was crap. I will never see the Pumpkins again. It's a shame too cause I was looking so much forward to their show and had high expectations. Instead we get two fucking 20 minutes versions of reworked Machina songs(Glass and the Ghost Children and Heavy Metal Machine.) It literally killed the crowd.

The sad thing is that Billy's ego gets in the way. He can still wail, and if he wanted too, he could make awesome setlists and blow everyone away. Instead he is too stubborn and stuck in his own little world and can't see that no one gives a fuck about the new album.
  • Doodah972Doodah972 Posts: 146
    i agree totally...i got it the day it came out and was very dissapointed...although i did go to their concert a few weeks back and there were good
    "I changed by not changing at all"
  • Corgan sounds like a whiney kid in Zeitgeist. Sure he had a whiney voice in the other albums but he sounds off on the new album.
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009